Leaving Tomorrow - Mexican Rivera

lllrh

Good Morning

We leave on our cruise tomorrow and I’m still trying to figure out what to do at the ports. We have never been to any of these places so I’m making sure we have a plan. This is what I’ve came up with; I would appreciate any feedback. Should we give ourselves an hour to get back to the ship?

Thank you!

Cabo San Lucas 11-7pm

Glass bottom boat trip. Someone said cost should be about $40 for 4 people? Then after have them drop us off at Medano beach. Any family friendly place to have food and drinks. Nothing wild since we have two kids. Tabascos was mentioned but I remember reading they charge for umbrellas and seats now? Is there something we shouldn’t miss while in Cabo? Then we should take a cab back to the ship and it shouldn’t be more than $10 for all 4 of us?

Mazatlán 8-5pm

Options for this port

El Cid El Maro - all Inclusive – Resort with pool and beach – How far is this and anyone know the cost? Is there a beach as well as a pool?

Take a Pulmonia for 3 hours and cost should be $60 for 4 people? Now on this tour does anyone know if we can stop and shop? After the tour take a water taxi to Stone Beach cost shouldn’t be more than $12 for 4 people. Do we have enough time to do this? Any restaurant suggestions on this beach?

Puerto Vallarta 8am -8pm

Take a taxi to the Malecon and walk around. Taxi should be $6-8? Is there a beach here we can go to? Any suggestions? I looked at the weather it says Thunderstorms are we even going to be able to walk around? Are there any hotel options with a pool and a beach we should look into?

If you walk the Malecon all the way south you will end up at Playa los Muertos with various restaurants right on the beach.

Cab to the beginning of Malecon will be around PESOS 80.- OR us$ 6.- depending what exchange rate the driver will use, a bit ghigher if you go to old town. However this is for the yellow cabs on the highway, check the rate before boarding the cab. Cabs are the terminal charge per person and are a bit higher.

Not too far from the terminal is Hotel Krystal, in general they accept cruise passengers at their pool and beach if you will have drinks/meal at their place.

Most rain and thunderstorms are during later afternoon/evening, but no guarantee.

For the water taxi tour in Cabo, we paid 400 pesos for 4 people. So it was about $6.50 per person. A few other people on the boat paid between $10 and $20. They didn't negotiate and just took the first offer. Don't do that. They will negotiate especially in pesos

For the taxi in Puerto Vallarta, don't take the ones straight out of the terminal. They'll charge up to $10. Take a left out of the terminal and walk about 3 min to the gas station (you'll see it across the street). Pick up a yellow cab and negotiate. We asked for 50 pesos i.e about $3.50 to Old town and it was fine.

On the way back, there are lots of taxis around the pedestrianized area. First quote was 120 pesos. We found one quote of 80 pesos to the Walmart near the terminal. We didn't bother negotiating since it was reasonable

We were wary of the weather since it mentioned thunderstorms too. But it was so hot and humid. We didn't like the beach at the Malecon. We did Caletas (a bit pricey) but it was wonderful

For the water taxi tour in Cabo, we paid 400 pesos for 4 people. So it was about $6.50 per person. A few other people on the boat paid between $10 and $20. They didn't negotiate and just took the first offer. Don't do that. They will negotiate especially in pesos

For the taxi in Puerto Vallarta, don't take the ones straight out of the terminal. They'll charge up to $10. Take a left out of the terminal and walk about 3 min to the gas station (you'll see it across the street). Pick up a yellow cab and negotiate. We asked for 50 pesos i.e about $3.50 to Old town and it was fine.

On the way back, there are lots of taxis around the pedestrianized area. First quote was 120 pesos. We found one quote of 80 pesos to the Walmart near the terminal. We didn't bother negotiating since it was reasonable

We were wary of the weather since it mentioned thunderstorms too. But it was so hot and humid. We didn't like the beach at the Malecon. We did Caletas (a bit pricey) but it was wonderful

The yellow taxis have a list of set fares from certain districts and I am quite sure that the price to go from the cruise ship port to the downtown area is about 80 pesos. Your offer of 50 pesos was very low for that distance. We try to be fair with the drivers because they are all trying to make a living. I don't want to short change anyone and feel I can afford the extra pesos more than they can. Especially with gas prices being so high.

For people who feel they can't afford to pay the going taxi fare, they can hop on a bus which only costs 7.5 pesos (no, you can't negotiate that price).

Seems like some of those comments are aimed at me

When I got off the ship, I asked one of the locals what it would cost. They said 50 pesos. If you want to pay more because you feel obligated, then that's completely up to you. When you negotiate, start off with a figure but expect a counteroffer. If you don't want to bother then pay whatever you like. But get off your high horse

Personally I wouldn't pay more just because gas prices are high. I'd pay more for great service though. The Caletas adventure was one example. Great service

OP asked a question. I don't think anything expected a personal statement of their beliefs. But enoughs enough, I'm not entering into a debate with anyone

Seems like some of those comments are aimed at me

When I got off the ship, I asked one of the locals what it would cost. They said 50 pesos. If you want to pay more because you feel obligated, then that's completely up to you. When you negotiate, start off with a figure but expect a counteroffer. If you don't want to bother then pay whatever you like. But get off your high horse

Personally I wouldn't pay more just because gas prices are high. I'd pay more for great service though. The Caletas adventure was one example. Great service

OP asked a question. I don't think anything expected a personal statement of their beliefs. But enoughs enough, I'm not entering into a debate with anyone

My point in posting was for others who will take a taxi to the downtown area. Don't think it's fair to any of the taxi drivers that you post that the fare is 50 pesos when it is not. There are certain fares for that distance and it is not 50 pesos. You took advantage of the low fare but others should not expect to pay that.

You talk about paying for good service and I think of a server in a restaurant but certainly not negotiating with a taxi driver before you even get in the car.

There isn't a standard fare for a yellow taxi

Again it's your prerogative to negotiate whatever you like for a yellow taxi

If a local is suggesting a certain starter amount, you go with that

If you don't think it's fair, then offer more

But seriously to insult someone in your post about taking a bus if you don't want to pay a certain amount

That's completely condescending

Get off your high horse

There isn't a standard fare for a yellow taxi

Again it's your prerogative to negotiate whatever you like for a yellow taxi

If a local is suggesting a certain starter amount, you go with that

If you don't think it's fair, then offer more

But seriously to insult someone in your post about taking a bus if you don't want to pay a certain amount

That's completely condescending

Get off your high horse

Actually, I like the view from my high horse so I think I will stay on it.

Good Morning

We leave on our cruise tomorrow and I’m still trying to figure out what to do at the ports. We have never been to any of these places so I’m making sure we have a plan. This is what I’ve came up with; I would appreciate any feedback. Should we give ourselves an hour to get back to the ship?

Thank you!

Cabo San Lucas 11-7pm

Glass bottom boat trip. Someone said cost should be about $40 for 4 people? Then after have them drop us off at Medano beach. Any family friendly place to have food and drinks. Nothing wild since we have two kids. Tabascos was mentioned but I remember reading they charge for umbrellas and seats now? Is there something we shouldn’t miss while in Cabo? Then we should take a cab back to the ship and it shouldn’t be more than $10 for all 4 of us?

Mazatlán 8-5pm

Options for this port

El Cid El Maro - all Inclusive – Resort with pool and beach – How far is this and anyone know the cost? Is there a beach as well as a pool?

Take a Pulmonia for 3 hours and cost should be $60 for 4 people? Now on this tour does anyone know if we can stop and shop? After the tour take a water taxi to Stone Beach cost shouldn’t be more than $12 for 4 people. Do we have enough time to do this? Any restaurant suggestions on this beach?

Puerto Vallarta 8am -8pm

Take a taxi to the Malecon and walk around. Taxi should be $6-8? Is there a beach here we can go to? Any suggestions? I looked at the weather it says Thunderstorms are we even going to be able to walk around? Are there any hotel options with a pool and a beach we should look into?

I like all of your ideas.

In Cabo, when you arrange your water taxi, be sure to negotiate to be dropped off at Medano. We like Tabasco's, but there are lots of other good Cantinas along the beach, all an easy walk, just wander about until you find one you like. Tabasco's charges (sometimes) for chairs and umbrellas for those that choose to sit on the beach and are unwilling to buy food and/or beverages. (Imagine that!) After the day there, we usually take a land cab back.

Mazatlan....I'm not the one to answer that. On our one and only visit there I was....um....underwhelmed.

PV, yes, take a cab from the cruise terminal (a bit cheaper if you walk out to the highway, but only a couple of bucks) to the "new" dock...that will be Romantica. From there, just enjoy your day and wander slowly back towards the cruise docks. Take your time, enjoy the small shops, the great food and inexpensive beverages, and when tired, just grab a cab back to the docks.

No horses involved, high, or low...:) [added] As for a cab from the cruise terminal at PV to the new dock....$50P is only $3.05US.....I think that is unlikely, more like $130P...but I guess that you can always try.

Contrary to some posts I want to clarify that there are definitely set rates for the yellow taxis in Puerto Vallarta. The white taxi's in the port area seem to charge per person and I am not familiar with them. We spend every winter in PV (for the past 15 years) and the yellow taxis all over town have set rates for certain distances. The rates are posted at the airport and in most hotel lobbies and some other areas. The drivers can tell you and hopefully they will have the "official" price list in their cabs.

I keep in mind that I can afford to pay the going rate (and in fact can tip them for good driving etc.). The cost of living is a bargain for me but not so for the average taxi driver or workers. I see people on the beach bargaining hard for 50 cents with a person who is trudging up and down the hot sand all day selling items. I like a bargain as much as anyone but like to be fair with the Mexican people who work so hard.

there isn't a standard fare for a yellow taxi

again it's your prerogative to negotiate whatever you like for a yellow taxi

if a local is suggesting a certain starter amount, you go with that

if you don't think it's fair, then offer more

but seriously to insult someone in your post about taking a bus if you don't want to pay a certain amount

that's completely condescending

get off your high horse

:d:d:d

Edited by CruzinNoony
those should be smiley faces!