Norway Itinerary Question

Herkimer18

Would love some help choosing between two itineraries in Norway next June. One has stops in Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger, and Bergen. The other has stops in Flam, Stavanger, Kristiansand, and Oslo. I have been to Oslo, but none of the other areas and have no idea what to expect for either itinerary. If we travel in June will there be snow visible anywhere? I am visualizing Alaska but perhaps that is totally wrong? Thanks for you help.

The itinerary that includes Geiranger and Eidfjord wins for me....more fjord scenery, waterfalls, etc. And, I prefer Alesund and Bergen to Oslo or Kristiansand. More Norwegian character.

I haven't been to Alaska (yet!), but I'm quite sure it has more snow than Norway, even early in the summer. There will be snow on the mountaintops that surround the fjords. You won't be disappointed. (For dramatic snowscapes, you would need to go further north into the Arctic Circle....Tromso, Hammerfest, Halstad, and especially to Svalbard.)

You can't go wrong with either but IMO the Geiranger, Alesund and Bergen route is too perfect to pass.

We did this cruise last September and did a live from there which you can find here. I provided info on each port as we did it DYI the whole way.

Geiranger might be the most beautiful thing I've seen in my entire life.

Would love some help choosing between two itineraries in Norway next June. One has stops in Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger, and Bergen. The other has stops in Flam, Stavanger, Kristiansand, and Oslo. I have been to Oslo, but none of the other areas and have no idea what to expect for either itinerary. If we travel in June will there be snow visible anywhere? I am visualizing Alaska but perhaps that is totally wrong? Thanks for you help.

I agree with the Alesund, Geiranger, & Bergen itinerary. We did the 14 day North Cape on the NCL Star in June and it was fabulous! :)

Edited by picodrive

I've cruised to all those places more times that I can count, and would be thrilled to return to any (or all) of them.

But it's the first itinerary that gives just a bit more of a thrill.

Yes, there will be snow high up, especially on the north side of the mountains, and in shady areas. It can range from wet & cold to sunny and warm at sea level.

I'm in Stavanger right now and couldn't help respond. I'd also pick the first route. I believe it is possible to get to Flåm as a day trip while you in Bergen--depending on length of time in port.

My uncle, who lives in Sweden, drove from Oslo to Bergen this past June. They only permitted the cars to drive in caravans headed by snow plows due to snow.

When we drove from Oslo north and west to the Voss area (nearish to Flåm) about ten days ago there was plenty of snow and ice on the mountains.

We did Norway this just this last June, all the way around the top and on to the White Sea in Russia. On our way up, we took a major fiord trip out from Bergan. It was 100% socked in with fog. Guide had to hold up pictures to show us what we could have been seeing.

However, even without seeing the main event, the green country side with wildflowers and little villages was well worth the trip on that day anyway. Snow, yet there will be snow. Parkas, yes there will be parkas, but also lots of beautiful spring flowers in full bloom - lilac, bulbs, azaleas, just gorgeous and the rest was emerald green.

Sometimes you get the big views, but even if only the close up views there is still plenty to enjoy.

Edited by OlsSalt

We've done both . The Bergen, Geiranger, Eidfjord ,Alesund cruise has better scenery imho.

I thought Kristiansand was a bit disapponting as well as Stavanger. But the scenic cruise in the Lysefjord with the predikstolen rock , after departure from Stavanger , is simply stunning.

You should do both too !

We've done both . The Bergen, Geiranger, Eidfjord ,Alesund cruise has better scenery imho.

I thought Kristiansand was a bit disapponting as well as Stavanger. But the scenic cruise in the Lysefjord with the predikstolen rock , after departure from Stavanger , is simply stunning.

You should do both too !

We liked the Norway we found further up the coast past Bergen best, past the Arctic Circle - more rugged and under-developed - Tromso, KristainsUnd, Lofoten Islands, North Cape. Prinsedam goes up that far - don't know about the others.

Edited by OlsSalt

Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger, and Bergen would always be my choice as the views are fabulous and Bergen is just a great place to visit .. the port is fun and if you like classical music at all, you can visit Grieg's country home .. very interesting place.

harry

...if you like classical music at all, you can visit Grieg's country home .. very interesting place.

Even if you don't care for classical music, it's an interesting place to visit!

I was out there on a stunningly beautiful day on my first visit to Bergen. I had a marvelous time enjoying the scenery, the house itself, and the stories that were told.

The tour has a lot to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Picodrive- how did you like the Star? The itinerary is just what I'm looking for but some of the ship reviews have scared me off booking it.

I am trying to decide between the NCL North Cape cruise and the 14 day Koningsdam Midnight Sun for next summer, but Koningsdam doesn't go to the Lofotens or Tromso. RuthC I would love your opinion on whether a stop in the Lofotens is a deal breaker? I may wait and see what the 2017 itineraries look like. Thanks for your help!

RuthC I would love your opinion on whether a stop in the Lofotens is a deal breaker? I may wait and see what the 2017 itineraries look like. Thanks for your help!

Personally, I love the more northern, less frequently visited Norway ports, but perhaps that's because I have more to see there.

It's not unlike the Alaska cruises that include Homer and Kodiak Island as well as the southeast Alaska ports that every cruise seems to go to.

I have no special memories of Lofoten, other than it was a small, quaint port. I love that the buildings up there are painted in such strong, dark, colors.

My strongest memory was sailing by a mountain with a huge hole right smack dab in the middle of it. All the way through! Tablemates hiked there, and said it was about 19 feet (I think it was feet, but they could have been talking in meters) high. You really can see daylight right through as you sail by.

Truly, that was a kick for me.

We learned those deep colors of the fishing houses in the small Norwegian villages originally came from cod blood for the red and tar for the black, both mixed with fish oil. They did what they could with what they had. Sturdy folk. Tromso was a big plus for us, and the Lofotens were the essence of Norway in our opinion, and the role of the dried cod industry that built that Nation. If you have a cruise that includes both of them, you will have had to see this country in more depth than its more developed southern parts. But it does get colder up that way so dress warmly.

Edited by OlsSalt

Personally, I love the more northern, less frequently visited Norway ports, but perhaps that's because I have more to see there.

It's not unlike the Alaska cruises that include Homer and Kodiak Island as well as the southeast Alaska ports that every cruise seems to go to.

I have no special memories of Lofoten, other than it was a small, quaint port. I love that the buildings up there are painted in such strong, dark, colors.

My strongest memory was sailing by a mountain with a huge hole right smack dab in the middle of it. All the way through! Tablemates hiked there, and said it was about 19 feet (I think it was feet, but they could have been talking in meters) high. You really can see daylight right through as you sail by.

Truly, that was a kick for me.

The mountain was Torghatten. (I googled it). ;)

Thanks Ruth for the excellent information. I am loving this thread and will bookmark it. We plan on cruising Norway in 2017 and can't wait for the 2017 itineries.

Thank you RuthC and OlsSalt! You both confirmed what I needed - and unfortunately the Koningsdam doesn't stop anywhere other than the North Cape. So I guess we are either stuck with the NCL Star or will wait for 2017 .....

Edited by bjksgk