Short transit time on San Francisco Airport

Jasjas

When we return from Vancouver to New York after our cruise from Seward next month, we only have one hour from landing at SFO to departing for New York. Both flights are on Delta.

Would there be a problem getting from arrivals to departures in that short time...? What if the flight from Vancouver is delayed...? We have to board a flight from New York to Johannesburg at JFK. I am very nervous...Who will be responsible for the cost if we miss any of these flights ?

Please tell me we will be okay...!

Jasjas.

Personally I think anything less than 90 minutes is cutting it close.

A while back, 2013, on a late afternoon flight from YVR to SFO, clear skies all the way from Vancouver to the Bay Area, I even saw the Golden Gate Bridge from my window, when suddenly the plane banked right.

The pilot got on and said we where in a holding pattern for the next 45 minutes over Northern California. Fog had rolled over SFO and backed everyone up for half an hour.

Because our plane was to overnight at SFO it did not leave with full tanks and we had to divert to Sacramento to refuel. We did not arrive at SFO until close to midnight that day.

Philob,

So, even if you had 90 minutes or more, it would still not have been enough...?

One can really not plan for ALL things that can go wrong...I actually just wanted to know whether the layout of the SFO airport would allow us to get to the boarding gate on time,,,we will already be in possession of boarding passes and the airline will transfer our luggage to the next airplane.... Delta booked these flights themselves.

Thanks for your reply.

Jasjas.

As far as I know the Delta flight from Vancouver is operated by Westjet and will arrive at the international terminal. Delta flights normally depart from Terminal 1, which is right next to it.

Is it doable in an hour? Yes. Would I prefer to have more time? Yes.

Have a look at the airport map and know where to go. Signage is really bad at SFO in my opinion.

Philob,

So, even if you had 90 minutes or more, it would still not have been enough...?

One can really not plan for ALL things that can go wrong...I actually just wanted to know whether the layout of the SFO airport would allow us to get to the boarding gate on time,,,we will already be in possession of boarding passes and the airline will transfer our luggage to the next airplane.... Delta booked these flights themselves.

Thanks for your reply.

Jasjas.

Actually we where going home, we live in San Francisco, and our carrier for that flight was WestJet. Just saying the weather at SFO is so fickle, you never know.

WestJet uses the International Terminal, its about a 10-15 minute brisk walk to Terminal 1 where Delta is. Unfortunately the walkway is outside of security, so you have to go through security again to get to the Delta gate.

Assuming there are no delays at security, you will be very close.

A couple of questions? 1. Are you traveling on the same carrier ticket for the

complete journey? 2. Will your cases be checked for the complete journey?

SFO is always iffy with the fog. If you are traveling with the same carrier--ie code sharing you should be able to asked at the checking desk in yvr if you can

be transfer by van to the Delta terminal. This is allowed, but will they do it.

Secondly, if it is a code sharing complete journey, they should put you up in a hotel if you are irrupted in flight. They also will put you on the next flight

even if not the same, again, it must be code shared. Your best bet would

be to check with the carrier on your first Delta flight. We have been put up overnight by some, with meal credit, another one which was a flight within

the United States, we were given a discounted rate at a hotel. Again, I would

call the carrier Delta when arriving in United States on a total free number, and see what they say.

what they will do and what they can do.

It's not how I would do YVR - JFK (Cathay Pacific looks too tempting and it's non stop.) but since you asked...

The YVR - SFO leg appears to be on WestJet metal. That means you will be going from the A gates in the International Terminal to Boarding Area C in Terminal 1. The good news is you will not have to clear customs and immigration in SFO as that will be done in YVR. The bad news is you will have to re clear security :eek:. Basically you walk out of the International Terminal, make an immediate right turn and walk to Terminal 1. Otherwise the walk itself is not too bad and would take 20 minutes tops (assuming no mobility impairments.)

What this means to you is you are in a situation where you will need to go to gate. Go directly to gate. Do not use restroom. Do not collect 200 calories.

Thanx for all the feedback...I am starting to feel more confident...

Yes, we will be on one ticket for the entire journey and we will have our luggage checked right through...we will not make restroom, or any other stops on our walk between terminals....

Our tickets were already book a year ago, but the time changes were only made a week ago by the airline ie. Delta.

I appreciate your help...and will look at the airport map.

Thanx again.

Jasjas.

Our tickets were already book a year ago, but the time changes were only made a week ago by the airline ie. Delta.

Because your 60-minute connection in SF is the result of a schedule change by Delta, you may very well be able to have it changed. Just this week I was able to get flight changes made to my satisfaction as the result of a Delta schedule change.

Generally speaking, if the flight itinerary involves a change of 90 minutes or more, Delta will change it for you without fees or penalties. In my case, the change was only 75 minutes, however it was quickly and easily authorized by a supervisor.

In your case, even if the change to your flights is less than 90 minutes, I'd call Delta anyway and point out your short connecting time in SF, highlighting the fact you'll have to change terminals, plus the fact you're making an onward long distance connection in JFK to South Africa. You've got nothing to lose by asking them. Before the schedule change, how long was your connection in SF?

I assume you're on the 7:30pm Westjet flight from Vancouver to SF connecting to Delta SF to JFK at 10:55pm? If I were you, I would ask to be changed to DL 1723 departing Vancouver 10:04pm nonstop to JFK, eliminating entirely the SF connection.

Because your new itinerary is the result of a schedule change, you are in a good position to "bargain" with Delta to have it changed, and changed without fees/penalties.

Good luck. ;)