New Years Day in Buenos Aires

ptrpanpens

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do in Buenos Aires on New Years Day. I was told that the museums may be open and places like the Cemetery but just wondering if anyone has suggestions for that day. I hate to waste it sleeping off the effects of jet lag and the New Years Eve Dinner.:eek:

Staying at the Hotel Club Frances in Recoleta.

I really enjoyed the cemetery, it's pretty cool.

The Park Hyatt is in Recoleta has an awesome courtyard garden with some bars and restaurants around it - a really great place to relax, have a drink, and read a book. They also have a nice spa. I'm not sure what the schedule is, but I did have Christmas dinner there one year. It was great. There's also a cigar bar there if that's your thing.

There's also a great gelato place in Recoleta called Arkakao - worth a stop.

The Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes is great and the area immediately around it is very cool - it's also free if I remember correctly.

I would definitely check and see if there any walking tours available - the city has a ton of history and it makes for a pretty fun day.

If you're up for going to Palermo, The Miravida Soho Hotel and Wine Bar is a great place - I don't know if they're doing any wine tastings on that day, but if they are, I recommend it.

If you can get a reservation at Las Pizzaraz in Palermo it's a pretty amazing farm to table type restaurant.

Of course, catching a tango show is always a good idea.

Edited by NC-matt

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do in Buenos Aires on New Years Day. I was told that the museums may be open and places like the Cemetery but just wondering if anyone has suggestions for that day. I hate to waste it sleeping off the effects of jet lag and the New Years Eve Dinner.:eek:

Staying at the Hotel Club Frances in Recoleta.

We flew into BA on 31 December 2013 and our first day in BA was New Year's Day. We were up an ready to go, but the city was really dead. Practically no one on the street until later in the day. Auto traffic was very light.

We walked from our B&B to Ricoleta Cemetery then to the downtown area and had a nice meal at the area will all the sail boats that is close to downtown. We took the subway back after spending time downtown.

We made a nice day of it.

We also will arrive in BA the morning of Jan. 1. I figure by the time we get to our hotel (Etoile), which faces the cemetery, we can leisurely walk around and get lunch and dinner. Are any of the museums open? Were you able to exchange money anyplace? I heard if you pay in a restaurant in dollars they will give you change in pesos? Is that right? How long did it take you to walk from the cemetery to the restaurant near the sail boats? Sorry for all the questions......and thank you for sharing your wisdom!

We also will arrive in BA the morning of Jan. 1. I figure by the time we get to our hotel (Etoile), which faces the cemetery, we can leisurely walk around and get lunch and dinner. Are any of the museums open? Were you able to exchange money anyplace? I heard if you pay in a restaurant in dollars they will give you change in pesos? Is that right? How long did it take you to walk from the cemetery to the restaurant near the sail boats? Sorry for all the questions......and thank you for sharing your wisdom!

keep in mind that you will have been traveling for the last 24 hours or so. It took us most of the 1st day to recover from that...

• 2 weeks later...

hi Merlinite, On Jan 1st most places will be closed because it is considered a holiday in Argentina.Maybe late in the afternoon some places will open.

I don't think you will be able to exchange money on that day,but if you find a spot that's open ask for the days exchange rate to the so called "blue" dollar which basically stands for black market value.Today August 28,the rate is 15.5 so if the restaurant quotes, 14 pesos per USD that would be quite fair.

There is also a good place to echange your Dollars into pesos by the Alvear Palace Hotel.It is a small strip mall selling sourvenirs. Look for a store front inside the mall displaying a cow on its window

The walk from Etoile Hotel to the waterfront of Puerto madero is about 30 min.

Bear in mind to leave all your valuables at the hotel BuenosAires is not a dangerous place but use always your common sense.

Food is great and not expensive.

Enjoy your stay

Thank you for the recommendation for changing money. I also received another recommendation for that place from someone else so I definitely will go there. It is only a couple blocks from my hotel, the Club Francis so I will go there right after I arrive on the 31st.

We are arriving the evening of Thursday Dec. 31, 2015 and staying 3 nights at the Park Hyatt Palacio Dahau. I'm happy to hear that they have the nice courtyard. Is this hotel in a good walkable location (I'm assuming most shops and restaurants will be closed on Friday, January 1st) but thinking about Saturday January 2nd?

Do you think we'll have a problem getting a taxi on New Year's Eve as our flight doesn't arrive at EZE until 7:40pm. :confused: ?? Can we pay for our taxi with a credit card, USD, or should we hit the ATM at the EZE airport?

Edited by petlover

Do you think we'll have a problem getting a taxi on New Year's Eve as our flight doesn't arrive at EZE until 7:40pm. :confused: ?? Can we pay for our taxi with a credit card, USD, or should we hit the ATM at the EZE airport?

you can pay either way at the taxi desk at the arrivals terminal. you will have no problem getting one. EZE is very busy. I think we paid US$27- cash for Recoleta. I hesitate to use the ATM in Argentina. Wait till you can get to a blu cambio. Dollars work in the meantime.

BsAs is a large city, I would expect most places to be open New Years Day. restaurants especially.

We are arriving the evening of Thursday Dec. 31, 2015 and staying 3 nights at the Park Hyatt Palacio Dahau. I'm happy to hear that they have the nice courtyard. Is this hotel in a good walkable location (I'm assuming most shops and restaurants will be closed on Friday, January 1st) but thinking about Saturday January 2nd?

restaurants will be open on Jan 2. Upon arriving on EZE you will find a Cab. It is best to pay for your cabs in USD. They will most likely change it at the stated rate --today 9.5 vs. 15 for the blue--Manuel Tienda Leon is a reputable taxi company in EZE. Do not leave the airport premises to look for cabs because they will try to rip you off