Live Review of Ruby Princess Alaska August 16th through the 23rd.

kunta67

Kent, how is the temperature inside the ship? The reason I ask is that last time we went on an Alaska cruise they keep the temperatures extremely warm inside the ship.

It's not bad, I feel like our room does get a bit warm but to help combat that we've been leaving the door open at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We leave this Saturday for our Alaska cruise on the Crown and I just looked and it appears the excursion is called "Animal Planet Exclusive: Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition", KTN-885.

Tour Overview:

Your small-group excursion begins as you board your motorcoach for a short drive to a private reserve.

Upon arriving, your guide/naturalist leads you along a trail through the heart of the rainforest, among tall stands of hemlock, spruce and Alaska cedar. This pristine environment is home to black bears, eagles, seals, a variety of birds, and many other species of wildlife attracted by the over 100,000 salmon that return each year to spawn.

Large concentrations of black bear gather to feed on the huge runs of spawning Pacific salmon in the stream running through the reserve. Bald eagles wait for scraps, mink and marten frequent the area, and seals can usually be seen feeding on the bountiful fish harvest.

Your search for wildlife takes over an elaborate elevated boardwalk system, including a suspension bridge and tree platforms overlooking the creek, and off-the-beaten-track areas, promising an exclusive opportunity to view bears at close range in a safe environment. Although wildlife sightings are not guaranteed, keep your camera ready for a myriad of photo opportunities.

At the trail's end, you'll see birds of prey close up, tour a historic sawmill and visit with a master Native carver crafting a totem pole before returning to the ship.

It's a great excursion!! I know they can't guarantee bears but if you're going next week and if they can still snack on salmon then you should be able to see them.

Nice shots of the whales and Mendenhall glacier. Did you make it up Tracey Arm and get to see the glaciers there?

We didn't take too many pic of Tracy Arm and wished we took the AM boat trip up for a closer look but here are the pics we did get from our balcony of Tracy Arm...

32de73d568e2ae320153bd74f709692a.jpg

c4f3189a88e4abb970ea328b69baae65.jpg

c4a7135e695badffaae6e038abda8e94.jpg

c35003ab9cf9f87a0939d68b636c35da.jpg

31e31816939bd8746bf504fa26067cf5.jpg

a09ce4f3d1ba6726a5e58ed3d2df30ff.jpg

We didn't take too many pic of Tracy Arm and wished we took the AM boat trip up for a closer look but here are the pics we did get from our balcony of Tracy Arm.......

Great shots none the less. Thanks for posting them.

We leave this Saturday for our Alaska cruise on the Crown and I just looked and it appears the excursion is called "Animal Planet Exclusive: Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition", KTN-885.

Tour Overview:

Your small-group excursion begins as you board your motorcoach for a short drive to a private reserve.

Upon arriving, your guide/naturalist leads you along a trail through the heart of the rainforest, among tall stands of hemlock, spruce and Alaska cedar. This pristine environment is home to black bears, eagles, seals, a variety of birds, and many other species of wildlife attracted by the over 100,000 salmon that return each year to spawn.

Large concentrations of black bear gather to feed on the huge runs of spawning Pacific salmon in the stream running through the reserve. Bald eagles wait for scraps, mink and marten frequent the area, and seals can usually be seen feeding on the bountiful fish harvest.

Your search for wildlife takes over an elaborate elevated boardwalk system, including a suspension bridge and tree platforms overlooking the creek, and off-the-beaten-track areas, promising an exclusive opportunity to view bears at close range in a safe environment. Although wildlife sightings are not guaranteed, keep your camera ready for a myriad of photo opportunities.

At the trail's end, you'll see birds of prey close up, tour a historic sawmill and visit with a master Native carver crafting a totem pole before returning to the ship.

Thank you very much for posting this tour. We went on our Crown B2B in early July. Maybe too early for this tour. I may have to go again next year in August!!

Hi Kent, I am loving going along on the cruise with you two. Isn't Alaska great!

I booked the Ruby in September yesterday :) Is Billy Hygate the CD? Do you know the names of any of his cruise staff that do the games etc?

Please let me know if you get a chance

Thank You

what a great live thread... and the pics are so good and i feel like i am right there.

you mentioned that your current cabin is smaller than on the Regal or Royal. That the cabin had a couch in it. Those are deluxe balcony cabins. which are a bit more expensive then the "normal" balcony cabins on the Royal/Regal.

The only cabins that have a couch in them on the ruby are mini suites and above.

I do find that the regular cabins have lots of storage though

Here's more pictures I wasn't able to post while we were docked in Skagway.

U.S./Canada border

985168030a85ed12b5f0fbe05eb12638.jpg

2eca5811f9b1e2690c90df9ba273aee6.jpg

cc6f327ea34ce80caf550d83c3d9274e.jpg

2eee32a8b1272f22a9f46107732de2ce.jpg

806ffc48a4457c61282168261a058f6a.jpg

92d7be41ccd97ae1c1d62eee137e9f4a.jpg

Edited by kunta67

what a great live thread... and the pics are so good and i feel like i am right there.

you mentioned that your current cabin is smaller than on the Regal or Royal. That the cabin had a couch in it. Those are deluxe balcony cabins. which are a bit more expensive then the "normal" balcony cabins on the Royal/Regal.

The only cabins that have a couch in them on the ruby are mini suites and above.

I do find that the regular cabins have lots of storage though

That's good to know for the future. My comparison was more between Princess and RCI. The food by far has been better on Princess, but there's some other little things we like better on RCI. My wife and I are debating if we should do the future cruise deposit program and give Regal or Royal Princess a shot.

For the first time in my life, I actually had high tea! Always wanted to try it at a fancy hotel like the plaza, savoy, etc. However we figured we'd give it a shot with the origins of Princess being a British line.

c18bf5937f37ed68cde7430f3bd9127e.jpg

0bdb34972b3fae5cec9c2d001cc05150.jpg

That's good to know for the future. My comparison was more between Princess and RCI. The food by far has been better on Princess, but there's some other little things we like better on RCI. My wife and I are debating if we should do the future cruise deposit program and give Regal or Royal Princess a shot.

Sure you should each get at least one FCD.

If you decide not to use it or if two years elapse, the money is refunded to you. (Unlike with RCI where it is never refundable.) All you lose if you do not use it for the two years is the interest you could have earned on each $100 for two years which at current interest rates is about 10 cents a year.