Discounted Drinks Package on Board

Reading someone's cruise review today, the lady mentioned that when they got onboard their ship there was a discount on the drinks packages. Get one get 20% of the second. Or get ultimate and get replenish free. Is this normal for a savings onboard the ship. It has me now debating to book something now or wait and see.

I tend to book my packages before due to the exchange rate. My cruises are normally booked from Norway and as such I pay my packages, excursions etc in NOK. Because of the favourable exchange rate it works out a lot cheaper for me to do it before i head than pay in $$'s once I get on the ship.

What is there to lose by waiting to book onboard?

The only advantage I can think of to buying the package in advance is that (like with the recent daily tip increases) if you purchase in advance, you're locked in to the original price and won't be affected if Royal suddenly raises the prices of the package before your cruise. That's the only reason we paid for ours in advance.

I've thought for some time now that Royal is setting up for a package price increase. First they increased the drink prices by around 40%, which encouraged a lot of people to purchase the packages that wouldn't have prior. Next, once a good number of cruisers are accustomed to cruising with the packages, I think we may see a package price increase.

So to that end, that's the only reason I can think of to purchase in advance.

I was hoping for a discount when I boarded Rhapsody in July. There wasn't one. I booked the replenish package and upgraded to premium for the last two days with no problem.

On day 4, there was the cruise compass left for the next day-- you could purchase a premium package for $46 for the last three days (I believe gratuity was included)-- but you could not get this deal as an upgrade - NEW packages only.

This all being said, I cancelled the packages on Liberty for next week just in case (I think premium for Bermuda, replenish for Canada).

We were on Adventurer last year and had pre bought drinks packages. When we got onboard they were doing a discounted rate for passengers buying packages. Anyone who had purchased the package before the cruise at full price received OBC to cover the difference. There was a letter when we got to our cabin explaining we would receive the OBC in the next few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would think if you booked them at a certain price and boarded and they were offering them for less you could obtain the difference in OBC or something. I doubt they discount them THAT much and if they do go UP between now and your cruise you'll have the priced that you paid locked in as already mentioned.

No, you have to buy it with at least 4 days remaining. So you have to pay for at least 4 days.

According to the rules; in reality, sometimes there MAY be exceptions. I upgraded with two days left and they were selling discounted new packages with three days left on my Rhapsody cruise.