Amsterdam Hotel Advice Please

We are planning a long trip/cruise for September 2016 and expect to begin with a 4-5 day stop in Amsterdam enroute to Malta. I am holding off on booking the hotel until the end of this September when we can purchase/confirm the air tickets.

Knowing that hotel rates are historically high in Amsterdam the first week of September, I'd like to do a Diamond reward stay at a Hilton property using well-hoarded points...either Amsterdam Hilton or Doubletree Central Station. (The Waldorf Astoria is off our list because of the outrageous rates/points asked).

Our situation: My husband's walking ability is limited: we will arrange sightseeing tours/guides that can pick us up at our hotel or take a taxi to the meeting point. We will definitely use taxis in the evenings as well. I realize that Amsterdam is a walking/biking city but we won't have those options.

With that caveat, which Hilton property might be better for us? Several on the Boards and on Flyertalk seem to prefer the Doubletree, mainly for the location. I'm wondering if the Hilton might be easier for taxi travel? (I have enough points/status for a better room/suite at either with breakfast included.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

I think your best option indeed is Doubletree almost opposite Centraal Station. Plenty of cabs around there, also public transport to any place in town.

As you mention yourself September is often an expensive month due to many large congresses that take place.

So better book that room as soon as possible, as often it is almost imnpossible to find a nice place that time of the year.

Hilton is far more south and by far not that central.

The Doubletree isn't that close to Centraal. Look at this map:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Centraal+Station,+Amsterdam,+Burgwallen+Nieuwe+Zijde,+Amsterdam,+Netherlands/NDSM-plein+28,+1033+RE+Amsterdam,+Netherlands/@52.3890191,4.8750961,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x47c609b7648f2237:0xb8275034e5a37bfa!2m2!1d4.900781!2d52.377494!1m5!1m1!1s0x47c6083ab8d1e369:0xb577165269ccc010!2m2!1d4.8882258!2d52.4000454

You have to walk, according to Google maps, about 9 minutes to catch the streetcar/bus.

The Amsterdam Hilton has a streetcar stop less than a block away that will take you directly to Centraal, and from there you can take the train to other places in Holland or another street car. Since you have Hhonors points, they have a club floor, and that could save you a few Euros since you could have breakfast up there, as well as snacks in the evening.

Thanks so much for the input and map! I am a walker and would love getting around Amsterdam but, unfortunately, taxis are going to be our necessary mode of transport. I'm really reluctant to book the hotel until I can confirm our air travel, which won't be available until the end of this September for next August...I took a quick look at both properties for the same dates in 2015and reward stays are still available at just slightly higher points. We'll just hold off until we have our exact air travel dates (in about 7 weeks) and will see what's open at each property. Computers seems to have made leisure travel more complicated...or I'm getting older...as it used to be just arrive at any European train station, go to the Tourist Office and they'd find you a hotel!)

I will book as soon as August flights become available!
I'm really reluctant to book the hotel until I can confirm our air travel, which won't be available until the end of this September for next August ...
Why do you need to book as soon as the flights become available? You won't necessarily get cheap fares then, as airlines often don't begin selling the cheapest fares until later on. The industry doesn't work on the basis of loading a set number of cans onto a supermarket shelf and watching them being taken by customers until there are none left.

Also, unless you're booking a non-refundable pre-paid rate, there's no reason why you can't book the hotel until your air travel is booked. If the dates don't work, you'd just change the booking. While there's a logic to booking the air tickets first and the hotel afterwards, there's usually no reason to be reluctant about making the hotel booking first if it's changeable.