The Alaskan Jewel! Welcome Aboard….You don’t Exist!

jenseib

And to the right is the toilet, which has a sliding glass door.

20520967451_6e8a4a4ea4_z.jpgpent17 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

20470725700_aacc81b4eb_z.jpgpent41 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Being in a suite you get better soaps, shampoos and conditioner.

20326563338_2e162fe30b_z.jpgpent18 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And a look at the door.

20520966491_7b41c6e114_z.jpgpent19 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The other side of the closet opens in the vanity hall.

19986987684_06fe923501_z.jpgpent34 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Our bed again.

20520965881_65f3111330_z.jpgpent20 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

20417229288_125aa4e732_z.jpgpent30 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Claire’s bed folded out.

20582371765_e1fd61fd76_z.jpgpent23 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

A look back at the door.

20883641191_22ff22da97_z.jpgpent49 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

20395686509_0c5c309939_z.jpgpent25 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Our table before too much clutter has gathered.

20689688319_ecba2b1c12_z.jpgpent50 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And now cluttered.

20417247480_258253e47b_z.jpgpent28 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The TV.

20866523402_4baf44004f_z.jpgpent46 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

This was also a cluttered area.

20417246520_3dceb942df_z.jpgpent29 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I took a few pano shots to try to give you a better idea of the layout.

19988671393_dd8cbd07de_z.jpgpent36 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

20609542255_6de993676e_z.jpgpent37 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

19986985924_778b3378fd_z.jpgpent38 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

20616161361_d19803a28a_z.jpgpent39 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

19988670123_0cef1ac68f_z.jpgpent40 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And finally our balcony. We loved this location. It is a bit bigger than the average balconies and we had 2 loungers and a chair, plus some little tables.

20395687949_7b539cb5ef_z.jpgpent22 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

20883238221_e4e8178cb8_z.jpgpent45 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

20688441388_99970092fc_z.jpgpent51 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

My thoughts on the room….

I had seen the décor before I arrived so I was prepared for all the pink. At first I thought it was kind of ugly, but it did grow on me. There were signs of wear and tear, but over all a good room. I think the carpet really needs to replaced. The lounger cushions had white specks all over…maybe ash or soot? It didn’t bother us, but just something noted.

The amount of space and location of the balcony were real winners for us and Skip was very impressed with the room. He is one who usually cares less what kind of room we are in and had I booked an inside he would’ve been fine. But for Alaska I wanted to have access to that scenery at all hours of the day and night, and I figured with an aft room we could see it all easily.

After being in this room and all the perks …big or small…that came with it, it will be really hard to go back to a regular room on NCL. One of Skip’s buddies was asking him about the price when we got home and Skip told him. I told Skip that he could go cheaper but just wouldn’t get all the perks etc. Skip said there is no way his buddy would go for less. This package was the best. It’s so nice to hear that as I worried he would think it was a waste.

Ok. This isn't a dig at anyone. Period. But the decor just screams dated to me. I understand the exorbitant and unnecessary costs of redecorating' date=' etc. But it looks so old. Is that a theme throughout the ship?[/quote']

Dated is the perfect word! There were a lot of loud areas...and some dated. A lot made me think retro! As I said, going in I thought it was pretty ugly...but then it grows on you. :D But I do think they could use new carpet and a nice make over. Tone it down a bit....

Just came across your review and am enjoying it. Thanks for taking the time. It's interesting to hear about the perks of the suite and what it looks like, something I'll probably never expereince for myself. We always go as cheap as possible with insides :)

I have written detailed reviews on some of my past cruises and I know how much work it can be. I understand why it can take awhile. I look forward to reading more as you are able to update.:D

Loving the review and looking forward to the rest of it.

I'm surprised they didn't offer any kind of compensation for your troubles. When we were on Jewel our toilet stopped flushing. We noticed it as we were leaving for a M&G, reported it to GS, got back to the cabin a couple of hours later and it was fixed. No fuss, no bother, as we were never in the cabin while it wasn't working. They still gave us a $50 OBC for it.

One night we couldn't get room service on the phone. We finally hit the button to get a call back. When it came, whoever had called us hung up as soon as I answered. The next morning I saw the Hotel Director in the Atrium and mentioned it to him. I let him know I wasn't complaining, but thought they should know in case it was a phone issue. That night a plate of strawberries, a bottle of wine, and an apology note from the HD showed up in our cabin.

You problems were way more than what we experienced.

I have been along for the ride and am enjoying seeing the Jewel again. Your style is great.

Take your time! I realize that life has to happen in between posts as I have done long reviews in the past. The fun of 're-living' the cruise is a lot of it for me when reviewing.

After being in this room and all the perks …big or small…that came with it, it will be really hard to go back to a regular room on NCL. One of Skip’s buddies was asking him about the price when we got home and Skip told him. I told Skip that he could go cheaper but just wouldn’t get all the perks etc. Skip said there is no way his buddy would go for less. This package was the best. It’s so nice to hear that as I worried he would think it was a waste.

NCL does the very best it can to take care of it's suite guests. I'm not one of the cheerleaders but we stayed in the Garden Villa on the Pearl Alaska cruise in 2009 and are staying in the Garden Villa on the Star in the Baltics next week. Staying in those areas gives you a break from everything!

BTW, enjoying the review!

Carrie

Take your time! I realize that life has to happen in between posts as I have done long reviews in the past. The fun of 're-living' the cruise is a lot of it for me when reviewing.

I agree. Been there. Done that. Sometimes these reports become a labor of love. For those who are not "in love" with the labor, move along. Or, at a minimum, stop polluting the thread with pointless chatter.

Keep 'em coming, Jen!

Loving your review. We leave on the Jewel September 12th. Thank you for taking the time and making the effort.

thanks....Can you fit me in your suitcase? ;)

Just came across your review and am enjoying it. Thanks for taking the time. It's interesting to hear about the perks of the suite and what it looks like, something I'll probably never expereince for myself. We always go as cheap as possible with insides :)

I have written detailed reviews on some of my past cruises and I know how much work it can be. I understand why it can take awhile. I look forward to reading more as you are able to update.:D

I never really thought we would do a suite either, but with the promo when we booked it was about the same price as adding all those on...just a little more, so I figured what the heck. Let's do this one in style. I doubt we'll do suites in the future, but it sure was nice.

Loving the review and looking forward to the rest of it.

I'm surprised they didn't offer any kind of compensation for your troubles. When we were on Jewel our toilet stopped flushing. We noticed it as we were leaving for a M&G, reported it to GS, got back to the cabin a couple of hours later and it was fixed. No fuss, no bother, as we were never in the cabin while it wasn't working. They still gave us a $50 OBC for it.

One night we couldn't get room service on the phone. We finally hit the button to get a call back. When it came, whoever had called us hung up as soon as I answered. The next morning I saw the Hotel Director in the Atrium and mentioned it to him. I let him know I wasn't complaining, but thought they should know in case it was a phone issue. That night a plate of strawberries, a bottle of wine, and an apology note from the HD showed up in our cabin.

You problems were way more than what we experienced.

I was kind of shocked that they didn't offer anything ever. I did write a nice long email when I got home and we now have a nice amount of OBC for our next cruise. But they gave me a year to use it and I responded and told them we needed 2 years and they obliged!

I have been along for the ride and am enjoying seeing the Jewel again. Your style is great.

Thanks for joining in. I do wish I could spend more time on doing this, but dang it if I don't have to work. :D And of course children and husband.....they all wreck my fun! :p

Alaska is on my bucket list. I'm really enjoying 'tagging along' with your family on this vacation. (Im)Patiently waiting for more! :)

If you get a chance I highly suggest going. It's just an amazing place.

NCL does the very best it can to take care of it's suite guests. I'm not one of the cheerleaders but we stayed in the Garden Villa on the Pearl Alaska cruise in 2009 and are staying in the Garden Villa on the Star in the Baltics next week. Staying in those areas gives you a break from everything!

BTW, enjoying the review!

Carrie

It's hard to go back to another room after this experience...well the good parts we had. ;) But the space alone was so nice. I would love to get into the Haven but the price would really have to be good. My friend got an upgrade from an inside to the 3 bedroom suite for a fabulous price....Boy I would love that.

I am enjoying your report. I will be on the jewel in 28 days I hope they know I'm coming

Thanks...I hope so too. Honestly what happened to us was really not a normal thing so you shouldn't have a problem.

Love, love, LOVE all the pictures! :)

Thanks

I agree. Been there. Done that. Sometimes these reports become a labor of love. For those who are not "in love" with the labor, move along. Or, at a minimum, stop polluting the thread with pointless chatter.

Keep 'em coming, Jen!

Yes they are....thanks for reading!

In case you haven’t guessed it…our excursion tickets were not in our room. I would have to contact Florentina about that, but first I had to get Claire up to the pool before she died of heat!

While Claire changed into her swimming suit, I enjoyed the view from our balcony.

20875906245_44b7077b72_z.jpgboard10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20850028106_244f50950f_z.jpgboard11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20688230160_700c3c14e7_z.jpgboard12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The Blue Angels flew by once again and I tried for another shot.

20253701784_f7cb35b3c8_z.jpgboard13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20866644652_570c3ed862_z.jpgboard14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Once Claire was ready we headed back to the pool area.

20253700944_8c4ab883f8_z.jpgboard15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Cutting through the buffet area…which was our first glimpse of this area.

20256516563_8a1c4c751d_z.jpgboard16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I liked the setup, which was very similar to the Caribbean Princess, though it seemed to flow better.

20689468490_ef12b108b0_z.jpgboard17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Once back to the pool deck we went in search of Skip.

20689467380_7b47483105_z.jpgboard18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20851265856_9e9ea1c23c_z.jpgboard19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Décor wise, I was not impressed with the fake palm trees.

20884752611_dbeecb061d_z.jpgboard20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We found Skip and he was now in charge of Claire while she swam. I told him I was going to head to Guest Services and see if they could find out if our dining and excursions were listed or not.

Of course when I got there, there was a line.

20689464850_04084b8f20_z.jpgboard21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I waited…not necessarily patiently, but I took a few pictures to pass the time.

20256511493_ee7271ca79_z.jpgboard22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20851261606_a96d49fb87_z.jpgboard23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20689544418_919c2e2dd6_z.jpgboard24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20256508113_b1445f34fe_z.jpgboard25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20692146518_15d4f54645_z.jpgboard26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I finally made it up there and ask the guy if he could check. He asked my room number and of course….he couldn’t find us. I told him how we didn’t “exist” and he said let me try something else and then found us. He could not bring anything up, so he said I would have to go over to the dining desk and directed me to wait in line, while he stood next to the gal doing the dining and waited for me. There was a second computer there and I don’t know why he just didn’t pull it up on that, but he waited till I reached the front of the line and then explained that I needed to check my dining.

Of course not a single one was listed for us. That irked me as I made these the same day I paid in full.

I gave her my list and she went through and was able to get everyone but one and that one was only 15 minutes later, so no big deal. But that’s not really the point. They should’ve been there.

The guy then told me that I would have to go and wait in line at the excursion desk to find out about those. Of course it had a line too and it was now close to the Muster Drill time.

I had given Skip strict instructions to be sure he and Claire arrived on time and to just meet me there. I gave directions, but I knew they went in one ear and out the other so I told him to just ask if he couldn’t find it.

Our station was in Tsar’s, which is one of the main dining rooms.

Leaving the Atrium I passed through the photo area.

20259101673_93c84bb046_z.jpgboard27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20692058720_c7d74a879c_z.jpgboard28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

To get to Tsars you have to go on deck 7 and then down half the stairs and its doorway is located in between the floors. Then you go down more steps, so it technically is on deck 6.

I found my spot and sat down.

20887353631_0480c076b8_z.jpgboard29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20887353011_761a731e1e_z.jpgboard30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20914943822_dfa4caf3ca_z.jpgboard31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

20736630310_a90daa4046_z.jpgboard32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I was early but I worried about Skip and Claire finding it so I pulled out my phone to call them. One of the crew members yelled at me and told me no phones during the drill. Yep, I know that, but the drill hadn’t started…..heck hardly anyone was even in there at this point. And really lady…..you don’t want to mess with me right now. I continued my call and Skip answered and they were on their way, but just as I figured they really had no clue where to go. Eventually they did make it…Claire wrapped in a towel.

She told me how the water was super warm….like a hot tub and the hot tub was basically scolding hot.

The drill went off without a hitch and was probably one of the fastest drills I have ever attended.

As we headed out with the crowds I heard an older gentleman talking to his friend….it was so cute and he was obviously a new cruiser. He was remarking how he couldn’t believe a restaurant like this was included in free dining. He kept saying how he couldn’t wrap his head around all that was included. I do know a lot of first time cruisers often think they can only eat in the buffet or pay extra for the main dining room. So many are surprised that they actually do get sit down meals as well.

We headed back up to deck 7 and went outside. Everyone was working their way to 12 for the sail away and we just didn’t have the patience to deal with the crowds. 7 is the Promenade deck so we could see things from there.

Most of deck 7 is also smoking, so this became a favorite spot for Skip.

These people were all in line to tour the Navy ships.

20315852523_a58db99656_z.jpgboard33 by Jenseib, on Flickr