The Alaskan Jewel! Welcome Aboard….You don’t Exist!

jenseib

I enjoy reading this in daily does.

Anyone that would like to read it all at once can wait until all of it has been posted.

+1

I've very much enjoyed this review. And while I would like it in one piece, I actually am enjoying the pictures and detail that has been provided thus far!

Carrie

I'm not sure why, but I can't quote on this thread. However, since the OP mentioned it back on page 3 or so, this is the original Starbucks:

1929651_36508505312_2402_n.jpg?oh=219d1148a9384a94f7a7b4e52816adf2&oe=5642F1B1

It's in the Pike's Peak Market just down from the fish market and doesn't look like a normal Starbucks. If you weren't paying attention and there were crowds, you could walk right past it.

The first time I went in 2008 and it wasn't very busy. The last time I was there in 2013 it was packed with a line down the street.

Personally, I am enjoying your style of writing. I feel as though I am traveling with you. And since I am pretty sure I will not be sailing out of Seattle, it is perfect for me. I prefer to sail out of NYC.

I have subscribed to this thread to get an email with daily updates of posts. Perhaps those who would like to read more at once should subscribe and get the weekly email with updates.

This banner was on a fence and I used to collect pig things (until I married a dairy farmer. LOL).

In the front of Pike Place market there is a cast iron pig. It has been used for people to donate spare change. I don't know if you saw the pig. Or if has been removed for maintence or other reasons. A lot of people take pictures in front of the pig. It's kind of outside the fish market. A lot of people buy the flowers and take them on board. Like your reviews. Susan

Loving your review and all the photos. We set sail in about a month on our 3rd Alaskan Cruise. This time on the Jewel.

Did you happen to notice how much those beautiful flowers were? We are taking my mom on this trip and my hubby wants to buy her some the day before we leave to take with her

Sorry, I didn't notice but see you got your answer! :)

A medium bouquet is $5, and a really large one is $10.

The pic is of a $5 bouquet, sorry it is sideways, the actual picture is right side up:confused: But you get the point.

Thanks for that info!!!

May I suggest that you consider writing a blog on a separate website and sharing the link here on Cruise Critic? That way you can go into intricate detail and edit and add as many photos as you wish. I'm not sure I'm going to live long enough for you to finish your painstakingly long review. ;)

We'll be on the Jewel for the last cruise of the season. Can't wait. It'll be the third time for us on this beautiful ship.

thanks..I do write a blog as well and also post on several forums. I do know some people like my style, some don't. That's ok. I have read reviews that I didn't like either.

Have fun. Alaska had WONDERFUL weather while we were there!!!

I enjoy reading this in daily does.

Anyone that would like to read it all at once can wait until all of it has been posted.

Aww...thanks. My next update, most likely tomorrow is very long, tons of pictures and long winded.....but after that I do get to the day we board!

+1

I've very much enjoyed this review. And while I would like it in one piece, I actually am enjoying the pictures and detail that has been provided thus far!

Carrie

Thanks so much!

I'm not sure why, but I can't quote on this thread. However, since the OP mentioned it back on page 3 or so, this is the original Starbucks:

1929651_36508505312_2402_n.jpg?oh=219d1148a9384a94f7a7b4e52816adf2&oe=5642F1B1

It's in the Pike's Peak Market just down from the fish market and doesn't look like a normal Starbucks. If you weren't paying attention and there were crowds, you could walk right past it.

The first time I went in 2008 and it wasn't very busy. The last time I was there in 2013 it was packed with a line down the street.

thanks. My uncle had texted me a pic while I was there and I still was too blind to see it. I bet I was a block away at the most.

Personally, I am enjoying your style of writing. I feel as though I am traveling with you. And since I am pretty sure I will not be sailing out of Seattle, it is perfect for me. I prefer to sail out of NYC.

I have subscribed to this thread to get an email with daily updates of posts. Perhaps those who would like to read more at once should subscribe and get the weekly email with updates.

I never thought I would be sailing out of Seattle either. I am really glad i got a chance to get a taste of it.

You're doing just fine as you are! I personally can't stand the "blogs" and don't read them. I'd much rather read an on-site review with the pics right in the posts. Please don't be discouraged!

thanks! I do write a blog as well, but I know it doesn't get a lot of traffic...and honestly I usually post weeks after I post here. I am really bad at keeping it up.

This banner was on a fence and I used to collect pig things (until I married a dairy farmer. LOL).

In the front of Pike Place market there is a cast iron pig. It has been used for people to donate spare change. I don't know if you saw the pig. Or if has been removed for maintence or other reasons. A lot of people take pictures in front of the pig. It's kind of outside the fish market. A lot of people buy the flowers and take them on board. Like your reviews. Susan

Oh bummer, I am pretty sure I missed it!

I had read a few Reports/reviews where people bought flowers too. I never knew how beautful the bundles would be till I saw them in person.

Thanks. I got a REALLY long one coming tomorrow, but after that we are going to be heading to the ship! :D

LOL!!!!

That's really ok. I know my style of writing is not for everyone. But I did say at the begining I write it like a story and have a lot of pictures and if it's not for them...then move on.

It always seems on cruise critic there are a few who want instant gratification....I can't give that. But in the future when that same person is looking to plan a trip to the same destination I can bet my reports will help immensely!

Well, I for one am enjoying your review immensely. Really looking forward to your pics of the glass garden. Going there is on my bucket list.

When we were in Seattle there was some kind of anniversary/celebration of the pigs. They were all over town, and decorated in all types of ways. I think there was a judging, too, of the best pigs.

19974942353_bb6a5fc8f5_z.jpgsea42 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Pig? Armadillo? Aardvark? No clue, but this guy was all about helping us guess what it was. Skip said it had to be a pig and most likely a food truck selling pork. The guy was praying it wasn’t one of the other two and selling those kinds of meats.

This is a food truck - pig -

img_3740.jpg

Pretty clever I think.

Edited by Pamster

When we were in Seattle there was some kind of anniversary/celebration of the pigs. They were all over town, and decorated in all types of ways. I think there was a judging, too, of the best pigs.

That must have been Pigs on Parade http://laughingsquid.com/pigs-on-parade-celebrating-100-years-of-seattle-pike-place-market/

Sounds like Rachel http://www.pikeplacemarketfoundation.org/rachel/

Jen, I love this review, and really appreciate your style and pictures. I can relate to the delay, because it seems to take me forever after a cruise to edit pictures and get anything posted.:o Keep on, and the more pictures the better!:D

To those of you who don't like it, why don't you just close the thread and move on to something else? Is it really necessary to tell someone who's taking many hours of their own time to tell a story that you don't like the way they're doing it?:(

How fun! I would love to see that!

Well, I for one am enjoying your review immensely. Really looking forward to your pics of the glass garden. Going there is on my bucket list.

thanks so much!

Pam and I are really enjoying your review. I thought it was a main purpose of CruiseCritic.

thanks! :p

This is a food truck - pig -

img_3740.jpg

Pretty clever I think.

I HAVE to show Skip this pictures...and Claire too. So do they serve pork? Or all sorts of stuff?

Jen , would you please refund her wasted time and the price of her admission to this thread . ;) Rock on , Jen . :) :D

:D

I personally love picture trip reports with lots of details! I know not everyone does, but when I was researching and planning...those are the ones I read and got the most helpful info! ;)

Your review is just fantastic! I love your story telling and I will definitely stick around for the long haul! You are helping me to re-live the time my family spent in Seattle and going forward, our Alaskan cruise! Your title has me hooked; cannot wait to hear what happened! Whatever it was, I imagine you just rolled wi the punches with your great attitude! Have you cruised Disney to see the Chiluly Sculptures? Two of my favorite things; Disney and Chiluly!!

Continue on...and thanks!

Lauri

I know some people look at Seattle as just a spot to spend the night before a cruise...to me it was a new city and destination. I looked when researching for places to visit and pictures of those places.

I have been on 4 Disney cruises so far (#5 scheduled for Feb). I have been on the Dream and Magic. Once on the Magic before the refurb and she had the Chihuly chandelier then. I loved it. I keep trying to find a way to get on the Wonder before they do away with hers, but I need to win the lottery I guess. LOL.

Yes, I really do try to roll with the punches if I can. I will admit...I was upset for part of this trip, but I was deteremined to enjoy it and not ruin it for all of us. And we did end up having a great time.

Jen, I love this review, and really appreciate your style and pictures. I can relate to the delay, because it seems to take me forever after a cruise to edit pictures and get anything posted.:o Keep on, and the more pictures the better!:D

Thanks!!!!

I am enjoying this unique view of everything. Always nice to see people talking about what they did before their cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I do enjoy reading what people do before and after as well. Some people do extended vacations and it's nice to know what else is out there for us to see and do.