Oceania shuttle in Venice

helpthejuggler

The Oceania website says "FREE shuttle service from ship to city center in many ports of call"

Anyone know what their typical arrangements are in Venice?

I don't think there is one in Venice! Water bus is near cruise ship port and easy to use,buy a ticket first.

Josie

The Oceania website says "FREE shuttle service from ship to city center in many ports of call"

Anyone know what their typical arrangements are in Venice?

I do not think there is a way for a bus/shuttle to the city center there

Unless things have changed this year, Oceania does not offer a free shuttle.

We've been to Venice twice with Oceania and I've decided to make my next trip a land based visit!

We found Venice easy to get around - unless you're at the cruise terminal. The people mover is very efficient but Riviera was berthed far, far away from the terminus. There was a bill board advertising a port shuttle but we never saw one. After a day's sightseeing we faced a long walk back to the ship and then had to queue to go through passport control to get back on board. This also happened with Regatta but there were fewer passengers.

We stayed on in Venice for 3 days after our cruise in 2014 and with a vaporetto pass and a hotel near Piazzale Roma it was much more convenient. We hope to go back, but we'll be flying in.

For what it's worth, I found Oceania shuttles were great in SE Asia but not so good in the Med.

I am familiar with the port. I wondered if the water shuttle boat to San Marco would be free or chargeable.

We normally do our own thingvon the Vaporetto and walking.

To answer your original question, no O does not provide any type of "free shuttle" in Venice. You are on your own. Just wondering though, have you been on any other cruises where transport in Venice has been provided? That would be a wonderful perk.

No, we have not found any ship offering this perk. I wondered if Oceania might have been the first for us.

A shuttle boat has always been available at a charge, but free to those taking a ship tour. On our 1st visit we booked a short walking tour with Doge's palace on the 1st afternoon so took advantage of their shuttle. On subsequent visits we have not needed an organised tour so have always used the Vaporetto service with a 24/48hour pass which works out well. Our usual welcome back to Venice is a ride on Vaporetto #1 or #2 down the grande canal to San Marco just to soak it all in.

The ship shuttle normally runs until around midnight, and the Vaporetto service switches to a night service around the same time, so for night owls it can prove limiting. On one visit we walked back to the (automated) people mover and were surprised to find that it closes down too.

So we joined a bunch of ship-stragglers to walk around to the port and find our way back to the ship at around 1:30am.

Thankfully during our last visit for Redentore the services run much later so we could get back easily.

We have also used the Alilaguna service to San Marco on the final day when our Vaporetto day pass had expired.

The prices most ships charge for their shuttle is often overpriced unless you intend to be making multiple trips during the day and don't intend straying far from the central area. We like to explore more so use the water bus. The Vaporetto Dell'Arte is a small supplement on the day pass and can prove very useful during the peak hours when the central services are at their busiest.