Experiences with Oceania travel insurance?

Iamthesea

Fam_Cruise - I looked at this policy, but it only seems to include $25,000 medical. And while Primary, the Med Vac is Secondary.:rolleyes:

:confused: I don't see anywhere where it includes the additional that you speak of here.

• $250 additional Missed Connection

• $50,000 Flight Guard® (What is this?)

Also, just so you know, the Med Vac upgrade is up to $11 (Still a deal!)

Straight from the Description of Coverage (aka Insurance Policy). In that document there is no mention of Med Evac being primary or secondary. Yes, medical coverage is $25,000 which is more than enough considering medical costs in rest of the world (outside the US) ranges from free to affordable.

Med Evac upgrade varies by price of insurance and number of travelers. Since I travel solo it wouldn't surprise me that the upgrade for me would be less than for you if either the amount you quoted was for two people or your insurance was higher because 1) you're older or 2) the amount you're covering is higher due to longer cruise, higher cabin category, etc.

Flight Guard is ADD coverage for losses incurred while traveling on passenger aircraft.

Edited by Fam_Cruise

The evacuation Upgrade is available with the listed options on Gold coverage...on the left side of the quote screen. Evacuation coverage is primary in that Travel Guard authorizes and makes the arrangements and pays for those services directly. (As opposed to, for example, physician's care on the ship or in port where you would pay and then submit the bill.)

Straight from the Description of Coverage (aka Insurance Policy). In that document there is no mention of Med Evac being primary or secondary. Yes, medical coverage is $25,000 which is more than enough considering medical costs in rest of the world (outside the US) ranges from free to affordable.

Med Evac upgrade varies by price of insurance and number of travelers. Since I travel solo it wouldn't surprise me that the upgrade for me would be less than for you if either the amount you quoted was for two people or your insurance was higher because 1) you're older or 2) the amount you're covering is higher due to longer cruise, higher cabin category, etc.

Flight Guard is ADD coverage for losses incurred while traveling on passenger aircraft.

OK, I see, You already have a policy in hand. Those extra's should be listed when researching policies, shouldn't they?

Makes since that the extra Med Vac would be more pp and insured amount...thank you!

smoothsailors - You misunderstood me. I do see the boxes for Med Vac upgrading, but I do not see the two additional perks that Fam_Cruise mentioned. ;) The Med Vac definately says secondary on Insuremytrip. Maybe the policy has changed. The Travel Delay, Baggage Delay and Baggage Loss is also secondary. :rolleyes:

Here is a screen shot of the Med Vac. Click to enlarge.

TravelGuard.jpg.54bfa48e0d655601c0898e7f0560c929.jpg

OK...I just checked my most recent policy from Travel Guard and think the issue is that coverage and covenants varies with the state you reside in. We don't really concern ourselves with the missed connection, lost baggage, etc as we do have some coverage on those from CC...just the medical.

We live in Florida and they have some strict regulations regarding insurance so that some benefits or time limits on compensation may not be available if you reside elsewhere. (All TG policies have an array of disclaimers to residents of various states printed on the detailed coverage sheets.) So, while we're all trying to be give good information, the same-named policies (TG Gold for example) may not be exactly identical in different states.

Suggest that you call either Insuremytrip or Travel Guard directly...their Customer Service reps have always been quite helpful in explaining the policy differences.

You're really over-complicating this.

Call Travelex directly (or even a broker like Insure My Trip) and they will explain to you that Travelex is a primary payer in all areas if a comprehensive policy

. On their Travelex Select policy, $500k medevac is included. Call w/i 24 hrs of any emergency (including medevac) and they handle it. Travelex is not "secondary" (in the traditional insurance sense of the word). It pays claims first, including some big ticket upfront payiments for things like medevac AND do not withhold payment until after another insurance has first paid to its limit or limit it's own payment to the difference between "normal and customary" billed amount and what the other insurance paid.

As I mentioned previously, if you try, however, to double dip claims, they will chase you down for their money (as will the State of California if you try it here).

Instead of relying on amateur CC input, talk to an actual insurance broker licensed to sell insurance in your home location.

And, If you call InsureMyTrip (which I just did), they will explain that Travelex is one of the very few primary pay across-the-board travel insurers. If you find it to be a few bucks more, you'll ultimately find that "you get what you pay for."

You're really over-complicating this.
Not really, as Travel Guard is less expensive for the benefits I require which includes primary payer; $680 vs $771. Those prices are for policies with similar coverage. Price is a compelling factor.

Now many here may not need, or want, cancel for business reasons, but I do. The flip side of that is I don't need death in family coverage since I have none, but unfortunately for me that is not optional. Wish it was as my premium would undoubtedly be less.

Travel insurance is not a one size fits all situation, and insurance rates vary wildly based on numerous factors. For each trip I plan, I check multiple sources and IME Travel Guard has routinely come out the best for me. Just SOP for planning travel. BTW, you don't need to call anybody as you can find out prices online. You can also email/call your TA and have them provide you the info.

As far as Description of Coverage, Travel Guard, Travelex, Travel Insured, etc. all provide links during the booking process so you can view the nitty gritty details of their coverage.

I personalty would recommend everyone do their own due diligence to find the product that works best for their situation base don their age, health, trip duration, amount of coverage, optional coverage, etc.

Edited by Fam_Cruise

This is getting confusing, Flatbush Flyer. :eek: Fam_Cruise, smoothsailors and I were talking about TravelGuard and you are talking about Travelex.

The photo that I showed about MedVac being secondary is about Travel Guard Gold. But as smoothsailors points out below, this coverage may be Secondary for my state of TN and not in her state or Fam _Cruise state.

Flatbush Flyer, you did not answer my earlier question to whether or not you have ever made a claim with Travelex. I'd like to hear about experience from passengers making claims. ;)

OK...I just checked my most recent policy from Travel Guard and think the issue is that coverage and covenants varies with the state you reside in. We don't really concern ourselves with the missed connection, lost baggage, etc as we do have some coverage on those from CC...just the medical.

We live in Florida and they have some strict regulations regarding insurance so that some benefits or time limits on compensation may not be available if you reside elsewhere. (All TG policies have an array of disclaimers to residents of various states printed on the detailed coverage sheets.) So, while we're all trying to be give good information, the same-named policies (TG Gold for example) may not be exactly identical in different states.

Suggest that you call either Insuremytrip or Travel Guard directly...their Customer Service reps have always been quite helpful in explaining the policy differences.

Good points about different states and different laws. ;)

The funny thing about all this is that I mentioned to my husband last night that I was trying to find the insurance for this trip. I mentioned that I didn't think one of the policies had enough medical. He said that was OK because our personal health insurance would cover us. I said "not out of the country". He responded "Yes it does." I told him that I specifically remember asking him a few years ago this same question and he said that our BCBS plan did not cover us outside the U.S. and PR. And all these years we have apparently been over insuring our trips! :rolleyes: He was probably watching TV when I asked and never really heard my question! Anyway, he is calling BCBS today to find out what kind of coverage we do have.

Edited by Iamthesea

This is getting confusing, Flatbush Flyer. :eek: Fam_Cruise, smoothsailors and I were talking about TravelGuard and you are talking about Travelex.

The photo that I showed about MedVac being secondary is about Travel Guard Gold. But as smoothsailors points out below, this coverage may be Secondary for my state of TN and not in her state or Fam _Cruise state.

Flatbush Flyer, you did not answer my earlier question to whether or not you have ever made a claim with Travelex. I'd like to hear about experience from passengers making claims. ;)

The funny thing about all this is that I mentioned to my husband last night that I was trying to find the insurance for this trip. I mentioned that I didn't think one of the policies had enough medical. He said that was OK because our personal health insurance would cover us. I said "not out of the country". He responded "Yes it does." I told him that I specifically remember asking him a few years ago this same question and he said that our BCBS plan did not cover us outside the U.S. and PR. And all these years we have apparently been over insuring our trips! :rolleyes: He was probably watching TV when I asked and never really heard my question! Anyway, he is calling BCBS today to find out what kind of coverage we do have.

Wouldn't be surprised if when he called he found out its for a few countries, like Panama and a couple others. I asked a couple years ago. It was very limited... Central America.

Let me respond to this and post #56 (Fam _Cruise) at the same time.

As is obvious from this thread, not every consumer comes away from their personal web based research with a correct understanding of "the fine print." This can be particularly problematic when there is an eventual insurance or warranty claim and the payor has a different interpretation of the terms than does the consumer.

One only needs to read the numerous CC posts regarding contradictions and misinterpretations of what posters know or think they read online vs what they were told on the phone by a rep (or two or three).

That is why smart consumers bolster their online research with multiple calls to (fill in the blank- e.g., TAs, brokers, techs, etc.) until they get a consistently correct answer.

In this day and age, I find it hard to believe that, in dealing with any high price "fine print" laden purchase anyone would A) not call to verify what one has interpreted from a confusing web item; and B) not call a second time (at least) to see if the first answer was correct.

Just research "preexisting conditions" if you want to see how much misinterpretation/confusion plagues the web.

As to Medevac and things like "hospital of your choice": In a true medical emergency in a place "far far away" from the US (or land at all), your "choice" of facilities for initial emergency room stabilization may be limited to one. So, in looking at which insurance you may want to choose, it really is the choice of hospitals for the secondary NON-emergency med-evac transfer (ordered by the attending MD) where you'll want the most decision making power. Here's where the "fine print" and follow up calls require your attention.

Finally, I've not had a claim with Travelex. But, based on the combination of my web and hard copy research on various travel policies, it is what works best for us, if for no other reason than it is the primary payer across all aspects of the comprehensive policy. In addition, it has good reviews in travel/consumer ratings and is recommended by TAs we trust.

Though we might save money by cobbling together a coordination of benefits from an "a la carte" travel policy, travel credit card benefits and regular health insurance, it is not worth the trouble associated with unraveling the mess of primary vs secondary payers that plagues the insurance industry.

Coordination of insurance benefits can be extremely complicated, particularly when multiple jurisdictions are involved. On paper, it's supposed to work flawlessly through interaction of the involved primary and secondary companies. But, try that with employer provided health, dental and vision policies originating in two or more US states. We once had to deal with coordination of benefits between multiple policies from two different states- CA and NY (make that three during a brief overlap of coverage as Medicare entered the picture). It gives one a whole new perspective on primary vs secondary payers.

Though we might save money by cobbling together a coordination of benefits from an "a la carte" travel policy, travel credit card benefits and regular health insurance, it is not worth the trouble associated with unraveling the mess of primary vs secondary payers that plagues the insurance industry.

And I agree to this! :D:)

OK, here is the policy that I received from the TA. What do you think?

Also, my husband called BCBC and they say that we are covered out of the U.S., but would still prefer not to have the hassle of having to deal with two insurance companies if we were to have to make a claim. However, I guess since we are covered, I don't need to worry so much about the Medical side of the insurance. We would mainly have the travel insurance for the medical evacuation and cancellation of cruise/and other expenses.

Click on to enlarge!

TravelInsured.jpg.7200b3b2d2c2377bce88e35ba21a1da4.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea

We are going with Travelex Select. They were a little higher than TravelGuard Gold, but the coverage was better and no Secondary.

Thank you all for your help!

Glad you settled on something that will work for you. AND hoping none of us will ever need to put the policies to the test.

Yes, this Travelex will work for this Caribbean cruise, but we will want more coverage when cruise overseas. There was no ad on for more evacuation, so we will have to pick either TravelGuard or CSA for our cruise next May.

This Travelex policy is saving us about $300 over what CSA Luxe had, but we really didn't think we need the extra coverage for this trip. ;) I think CSA Luxe has raised their prices to take advantage of us that usually wait until final payment to purchase. Oh wait...no, it's my husband that has raised the prices when he turned 62. LOL

Yes, this Travelex will work for this Caribbean cruise, but we will want more coverage when cruise overseas. There was no ad on for more evacuation, so we will have to pick either TravelGuard or CSA for our cruise next May.

This Travelex policy is saving us about $300 over what CSA Luxe had, but we really didn't think we need the extra coverage for this trip. ;) I think CSA Luxe has raised their prices to take advantage of us that usually wait until final payment to purchase. Oh wait...no, it's my husband that has raised the prices when he turned 62. LOL

No need to start all over again. Look at Travel Max, which is the top level of the three Travelex pkgs (basic, select, and max).

$1m evac, 30 day look back for pre-existing waiver, primary payer, cancel any reason, etc.

That said, think again about just staying with "select"- it really may be plenty.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

True! ;)

Well, we have the cruise, insurance, and hotel booked...the important stuff. I'll work on ports when we return for our upcoming cruise in November.

Time to concentrate on my other cruises. Thank you again for all the help I received on this insurance dilemma. I learned a lot...even about our own health insurance benefits! :)