Advice on Train from Rome to Venice

2pbears

We will be flying from Heathrow to Rome (FCO) on a Saturday morning (Aug. 29th) arriving FCO at 10:30 AM. We will take the Leonardo Express from FCO to Rome Termini and catch a train to Venice. I am looking at the trenitalia website and it appears as though the current fare is 80 euro per person, however they have a special two for one fare on Saturdays which would reduce our fares to 80 euro for both of us.

This special fare is limited availability so I am tempted to book it now while it is available as it might be sold out on the day we arrive in Rome, however, it is non-refundable, not changeable and cannot be used on a later train if we should be delayed for any reason.

If we arrive at FCO at 10:30 AM, under normal circumstances would a train out of Termini at 12:50 be reasonable to catch? Would it be safer to book the 1:50 train-----or should we just take a chance on the reduced fare being available when we arrive.

I know this is a decision we must make but would appreciate some feedback from those with more experience than we have.

I'd also book the 1:50 train. (Or 13:50, in Italy ;))

It generally takes a good hour to transit Termini -- long walk from the plans to Passport control, then generally a wait for luggage.

The Leonardo Express takes a half hour. And if you arrive at the platform just after the train is gone, you'll wait another 25 minutes for the next one.

Sure, things could align and you could make the 12:50 train. But in the scheme of things, that hour is going to make no difference as you'll arrive in Venice at the end of the day either way.