Oosterdam in Alaska dining question

Sleddogs

We will be on the Oosterdam on the Sept. 6th sailing Seward to Vancouver. Is Alaska King Crab on the menu or available by request? I tried to find a copy of the dining menu online without success.

Thank you!

Denise (Sleddogs)

Not in June/July on the Oosterdam.

The Gala Nights have steak and prawns or lobster.

In the past the crab offerings have been frozen and watery. I would have to say if you want crab you need to sail on Oceania, just my personal opinion.

The Oosterdam is fantastic. Make sure you stop in at the Queen's Lounge to see the BB King Blues Club!

Have a great time!!

The Pinnacle Grill is supposed to offer King Crab Legs for an additional price -- $20 extra. But on our cruises this past spring on the Zuiderdam, the crab legs were very small and the Pinnacle chef would not recommend them.

So if the Pinnacle can't get the Alaskan King Crab legs, don't count on the dining room having them.

Not in June/July on the Oosterdam.

The Gala Nights have steak and prawns or lobster.

In the past the crab offerings have been frozen and watery. >SNIP<

Have a great time!!

(bolding mine)

In the past, I sometimes wondered whether the "king crab legs" offered in the MDR was actually snow crab.

(bolding mine)

In the past, I sometimes wondered whether the "king crab legs" offered in the MDR was actually snow crab.

Hi, CP

Have you ever gone to Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau or Ketchikan? They have King Crab Legs (frozen) and nothing on HAL has ever come even close.

We spent an interesting afternoon on the balcony one time watching the cooks at the Shack cook the frozen crab legs. Huge kettles, huge crabs.

You are likely correct: snow crab.

Hi, CP

Have you ever gone to Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau or Ketchikan? They have King Crab Legs (frozen) and nothing on HAL has ever come even close.

We spent an interesting afternoon on the balcony one time watching the cooks at the Shack cook the frozen crab legs. Huge kettles, huge crabs.

I went to Tracy's in Juneau once. I was quite underwhelmed and thought we did better with the legs from Costco or Safeway. I can no longer eat crab :( but if I ever get near fresh Dungeness, and a hospital, and an epi-pen all at the same time, I'm going to push the envelope :eek: :D

We haven't been to Tracy's Crab Shack, but will check it out. I already know I will be in salmon heaven again just being in Alaska.

Thanks!

Hi, CP

Hi, CP

I watch Deadliest Catch on cable TV once in a while and the crabs they pull up are huge. I'd like to get a few of them to steam. :)

I watch Deadliest Catch on cable TV once in a while and the crabs they pull up are huge. I'd like to get a few of them to steam. :)

They are huge, indeed. I was a bit surprised how long the legs were. The pots they had were the size of garbage cans!

when is the season they go out for that crab? They freeze it when they catch it I think and stay out until they fill up the vessel. We had it in Ketchikan at about the same price as lower 48.

Crab season starts late in the year -- Oct/Nov -- so anything during the Alaska cruising season is by necessity frozen.