RCL outdoes NCL with water park

rydan

RCL is building there largest ship ever the Ovation of the sea will have the lines first watermark at sea. Featuring a 10 story spiral slide "THE ABYSS" by far the longest slide of any ship.

WOW, why couldn't FDR think of that.

They are also outfitting the Liberty of the Seas with a crazy slide called the Boomerango. I have been to dozens of top class water parks and this ride scared me more than any other. We came 6 inches from the barrier-less top. You can see a pic here.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/08/articles/weird-cruise-news/royal-caribbeans-boomerango-when-will-the-first-lawsuit-be-filed/

Yes but I think RCCL is SO late to the game with water slides. So many places tout it as a family cruise line but hardly any of their ships have slides. My kids are too young for surf simulators. Disney, Carnival and NCL totally win this category to me. And my husband and I like them too!

RCL is building there largest ship ever the Ovation of the sea will have the lines first watermark at sea. Featuring a 10 story spiral slide "THE ABYSS" by far the longest slide of any ship.

Actually I believe you are referring to the Harmony of the Seas not the Ovation.

My bad!!! I stand corrected it is Harmony OTS.

"I cant pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend"

Neil Peart... RASH

LOL "RASH" Saw Rush a month or two ago. Still as good as ever even though they did not play YYZ :confused:

Edited by mizlorinj

Having a water slide or two does not make it a water park.

Does it have a splash zone with a bucket dump area for the little ones?

The Breeze, Magic, and Vista do or will in Vista's case

The MSC Seaside will

And Escape will too

16391666285_4544552edc_h_zpsuqpyoq4j.jpg

Escapes kids area

DSC_01893_zpsz5cl2j87.jpg

Breeze area

13700254323_8beeb7dc27_b_zpsp4baswoj.jpg

A big slide is nice but it needs to be a real waterpark

What are their plans for something like this?

Having a water slide or two does not make it a water park.

Does it have a splash zone with a bucket dump area for the little ones?

The Breeze, Magic, and Vista do or will in Vista's case

The MSC Seaside will

And Escape will too

-pic-

Escapes kids area

-pic-

Breeze area

-pic-

A big slide is nice but it needs to be a real waterpark

What are their plans for something like this?

Splashaway Bay:

low_1439745064_HM-View-4.jpg

Some more can be found at a certain RCCL blog dot com

Edited by FreestyleNovice
censorship..

Splashaway Bay:

low_1439745064_HM-View-4.jpg

Some more can be found at a certain RCCL blog dot com

Looks good but not as cool as the Breeze for height of bucket dump. ;)

Breeze also is clearly adult sized...

Hope Escape will be usable for adults too. :cool:

I doubt he really cares nor do many others. This isn't what cruising is all about to most of us. Slides are fun for kids and a lot of adults, but if this is one of the reasons someone cruises, choose the line with the best slides, being in RCI or whatever. To each his own.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I doubt he really cares nor do many others. This isn't what cruising is all about to most of us. Slides are fun for kids and a lot of adults, but if this is one of the reasons someone cruises, choose the line with the best slides, being in RCI or whatever. To each his own.

I disagree, a board of directors clearly does think about how to attract their (future) customers. Being it added slides and water parks to be more family orientated or something else to attract a wider demographic.

It's a necessary need to fill the (growing) capacity in berths and keep competing in this new mega ship market.

edit; if it attracts you or another, that's up to you but that was not what the thread is about :)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

1) How do you know what "most of us"

cruise for?

2) When we started cruising it was a complete 180 from the experience it is today.

3) If "most of us" didn't want these things, the cruise lines wouldn't build these enormous floating theme parks.

4) It's called progress, even HAL is rebranding to get the younger crowd & families on there fleet.

5) The only place where I believe your statement would be true is in Las Vegas. In the late 90's they tried to lure in the family crowd. When that BACKFIRED, it was back to basics for Vegas. LEAVE THE KIDS HOME.

Looks good but not as cool as the Breeze for height of bucket dump. ;)

Breeze also is clearly adult sized...

Hope Escape will be usable for adults too. :cool:

I believe that Escape has a dump bucket in the kids splash area. I'm 46 and love that stuff.

There's no way NCL will do anything "big" on their new ships like this. They'd rather divvy up the ship into a lot of small attractions and monetize some of them rather than offer large communal areas everyone can enjoy for free.

Read the complaints about the size of the pool, atrium, etc. on the NCL Breakaway class ships. I doubt the Breakaway+ class ships will be any better.

RCL outdoes NCL with everything

Including the cost of the basic cruise fare, everytime we check RCL is more $ than NCL which is more $ than CCL

But now NCL seems to be giving RCL a run for its $ on some of the cruise fares they have showing currently.

Even the current promo's aren't as good to even it out.

2017's cruise plans was to do the Carnival Vista, but I will watch with some interest, this Harmony of the Seas.

A current pricing shows a OV balcony for 4 to be $4226.88 for a Western Caribbean with Labadee, Ocho ricos and GC

the Vista which has a better set of ports (Southern with GT, DR and Aruba and Curacao) is currently $3588 for a similar style of balcony.

$600 = is not much in the scheme of things but I have little doubt the CCL early Saver will likely result in price reductions. We never have not had them before.