Princess Formal Nights vs Holland America Gala Nights

trekie69

From what I read on the HAL website their Gala Night isn't much different than the Princess Formal Night. It appears they have just changed the name to de-emphasize the word formal, and subsequently the first thought of the tuxedo/black tie and gown concept.

Princess takes lots of formal photos on these nights, and if they eliminate them it would most likely cut into their on board photo revenue.

I agree....I have always thought the Formal Nights were more about photo ops and nothing more.....kind of like Prom Night....everyone gets their pictures taken and that's about it....I would like to see formal nights go the way of the dinosaurs too....I am sure it is only a matter of time before Princess follows suit....they already do not enforce their suggested dress codes on formal nights most of the time anyway?

HAL Details:

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board.

Princess Details:

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home. (That says it all succinctly)

Princess has "Dress to Impress" on four night cruises instead of a formal evening.

A nice restaurant at home in South Florida will find many patrons in nice shorts.

I once witnessed a maitre'd truss a man near the entrance to the dining room using his tank top cut into strips to secure him, and then flog him with his own flip fop until he passed out. True story... Or maybe a friend told me about it.

Why must people fight traditions or try and get over on the system? Either conform and enjoy the evening, or go eat somewhere else and enjoy the evening for goodness sake. I don't know, but I assume most of the pushback on formal wear comes from men. I would venture that if these men played along, they would have some pretty darned happy wives. Works for me. I own two dinner jackets that I alternate with different accessories. It was a pretty cheap investment that gets used a couple times per year. I also occasionally break out the Army mess dress. I can tell you it contributes greatly to marital bliss. And sometimes it even feels good to just dress up fancy.

LOL to the first part of your post!

Also,you are a wise man and a good husband with your attitude regarding dressing up on a cruise to enjoy dinner and a lovely evening with your wife !

I'm surprised with HAL's new policy; however, I think we can agree that the world has become a more casual place whether we like it or not, and many of us do care.

If Princess changes its dress code, the only change we'll probably make is to leave the tux home (already doing that).

Last September we decided to pack light for a Med cruise. DH left his beloved tux at home. Based on what I read on this board, and to ensure we wouldn't be turned away on formal nights, he wore long-sleeved, (coloured) shirts with tie and dress pants - no jacket, and no one said a word. He was ok with it (so was I, as I do the packing and it made room for an extra pair of shoes - so much for 'packing light';)), but I took a good look at how other men were dressed. All the men I saw wore jackets, and no one even looked at us 'funny', haha. This fall he's taking a black jacket/white and coloured shirts/ties/dress pants (21 days = 5 formal nights) and still leaving the tux home.

I typically wear dresses in the dining room every night, and some nights the dresses are dressier than others! I'd rather be overdressed (still comfortable) than underdressed - just me.

In light of HAL's move, I predict Princess will eventually change their dress code.

Adventures ahead (aka, Madam Zelda:rolleyes:, LOL!)

:) See? A nice discussion about Formal/Gala/Dinner/Main Dining Room/Wear and almost everyone had fun!:D

Next discussion: how to smuggle booze on board!:cool:

And big thank you's to those that took the time to add thoughtful comments about the changing customs of our favorite pastime: CRUISING! :o

:) See? A nice discussion about Formal/Gala/Dinner/Main Dining Room/Wear and almost everyone had fun!:D

Next discussion: how to smuggle booze on board!:cool:

And big thank you's to those that took the time to add thoughtful comments about the changing customs of our favorite pastime: CRUISING! :o

No. Let's talk about smoking instead. :rolleyes: