Would you go on a chartered QM2 all gay cruise?

thulewx

Would you go on an all-gay chartered QM2 cruise?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go on an all-gay chartered QM2 cruise?

• YES!! Sign me up now - whenever, wherever!
    • NO - too expensive!
    • No - other reasons
    • Yes, but it depends (itinerary, company, etc.)

I've wondered what it would be like to be on the Queen Mary 2 as part of an RSVP or Atlantis all-gay cruise.

Prices for one week, caribbean (if they are the same as Cunard's early booking fares) would probably be like this (prices are per person, double occupancy):

Cheapest inside cabin = $999

Inside Atrium cabin (overlooks atrium) = $1449

Outside view = $1549

Cheapest balcony = $1649

Best regular balcony = $3749

Cheapest Princess grill balcony = $3549

Queens Grill suites = $4999 - $17,099

I would definately do RSVP or Atlantis on the QM2. I have been considering Pied Piper's gay group cruise on the QM2, but I have already been with them on the QE2 transatlantic (Princess Grill). (Fabulous time!) I haven't found an itinerary or pricing that I am happy with on their QM2 group cruises yet, but I would probably be less picky if it was an all-gay cruise.

After reading the "Atlantis Mediterranean Cruise . . . . .from Hell" thread, I plan to avoid any more all-gay vacations, way too much baggage!!! Besides, Atlantis is a hopelessly stale product that never changes.

A far more interesting transatlanic crossing would be a cruise recreating the route of the Vikings from Norway to Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland!

Just think of something practical

Does somebody who pays 17000 USD for a suite hwant to have loud parties one deck down in front of their balcony until early morning?

QM2 does not have a lido deck like most cruiseships but have the pool deck aft. The suites have their views and balconies on that deck

I think that any gay charter on QM2 would be much more likely to have the open-air dance parties up on Deck 13 where there is a massive amount of clear deckspace plus a stage, a splashpool, a couple jacuzzis and a bar... (it's large enough to be a helipad)

But I still wouldn't go, even on a str8 cruise - the accommodations are just too pricey.

I can get a much larger suite on a HAL/RSVP cruise for the money...

I would not go on any ship which segregates passengers according to the amount they paid for their cabins. I believe all passengers should have full run of the ship including all restaurants. This is not 1908, after all!

After reading the "Atlantis Mediterranean Cruise . . . . .from Hell" thread, I plan to avoid any more all-gay vacations, way too much baggage!!! Besides, Atlantis is a hopelessly stale product that never changes.

A far more interesting transatlanic crossing would be a cruise recreating the route of the Vikings from Norway to Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland!

I'm curious Zipper, just what exactly would you "change" about Atlantis. Not flaming you, but 90% of thier "product" is straight down the line from any normal cruise ship activity list, with the exception of the decktop parties. Dating Game, Newlywed game, napkin folding, bingo, art auction, etc.

Aside from a Gay theme to these events, and slightly more risque' humor, it's not that different from a Straight cruise, so what's so stale about it?

oh, and to answer the original question, probably not. I've not heard overwhelmingly positive comments about the QM2, and it's "class" system/pricing doesn't appeal to me. However, it might just be the ticket for other folks, so can't say anything negative about it.

Just because the breeders do it, doesn't mean it isn't stale.

As I've said before, I can't comment on the cruises, I've only been to the land resorts.

Don't get me wrong, my first Atlantis vacation in April '98 was the best time of my life and as I recall it included:

Dog Tag T-Dance 5-7

Classic Disco T-Dance 5-7

Tropical T-Dance 5-7

Get acquainted party 11 pm

Mardis Gras Party 11 pm

White Party 11pm

A wonderfully funny Bruce McDonald 930 pm

Wayne Moore, after Bruce McDonald where the singing filled the resort!

My 5th, and last, Atlantis vacation in May '04, six years later, which included:

Dog Tag T-Dance 5-7, which was very slow in starting, kinda like Jr. High

Classic Disco T-Dance 5-7

Tropical T-Dance 5-7

Get acquainted party 11pm, which ended early

Mardi Gras Party 11pm

White Party 11pm, fun if a relatively small dance floor crowd

Bruce McDonald, missed went back to the room to watch tv, had seen him 4 times. Don't get me wrong, Bruce is a great guy!

Wayne Moore, went to one night, gave up, no one was singing.

I guess the part the got me was when I walked into the first event in Cancun '04 which was late in starting since it took a long time to get the room cooled due to the power having gone out frequently throughout the day. It was "Selection of the Couple" which I didn't stay for since it seemed to be the same show I had seen six years early. I did come back for Edie though who was great! Btw I loved "Mommy Queerest" even if the screen was a sheet!

What exactly would I change? That's between me and the new gay cruise company. Stay tuned!

I would not go on any ship which segregates passengers according to the amount they paid for their cabins. I believe all passengers should have full run of the ship including all restaurants. This is not 1908, after all!

QMII/QEII are not the only ships that segregates passengers. We just returned from the Norewegian Jewel and had use of a pool, gym, bar/lounge and sun deck that was just for us and a few other suite passengers.

As cruise lines continue to cut cost, and usually the fares they charge us there is more incentive to give passengers that want too pay more a little something special. Mainstream lines are also trying hard to please all demographics....having a little something for everyone.

Hotlanta Cruiser:

What would I change about Atlantis? Probably nothing, they are a successful company that knows their market. They have a core group of entertainers many of whom have a deep following. Fundamentally, Atlantis is a bar scene with high energy dance music starting at 11 p.m. While they occasionally change the costumes or add an entertainer, the core product remains the same.

The original question was would I go on the QM2 with Atlantis? The answer is no. For my money I would rather take a trip that I would find more interesting such as Princess's "Islands of the Pacific Theater" about WW2, or Norwegian Coastal Voyages' cruise to South Georgia Island including the grave site of Sir Ernest Schackelton. I figure with the money I save from not paying the gay premium I can take a long weekend in NYC of SF and check out the far broader gay scenes there.

However, I am interested in the offerings of the three new all-gay cruise companies:

http://www.travelpride.com/

http://www.romancevoyages.com/

http://www.outexpeditions.com/

On the Insignia we will have to teach you to spit like a mayan.....and since we will be in the southern hemisphere...I will hang you over the stern and you can scream, I'm queen of the world.....remember everything is reversed south of the equator. LOL

By the way...I will wait for you for dinner in Buenos Aires based on your flight arrival.

• 3 months later...
Just because the breeders do it, doesn't mean it isn't stale.

What exactly would I change? That's between me and the new gay cruise company. Stay tuned!

Had to dig this up. Still trying to figure our what he was talking about.

ZIpper: You still around here? What new cruise line are you working?

Yeah probably since I already booked a QM2 trip on a regular cruise this year. Sorry guys, I'm just not a party animal and not into freestyle. Love the traditions of the classic sea voyages and it doesn't hurt to dress up now and then although I would admit I don't like doing it for every vacation I take. Pricey? Yeah! However, its something I consider as a treat to myself because I wouldn't being doing it often. This year's trip is my first ever on Cunard and likely will be the last one for a while. (Maybe!) As for the class system, oh well! It's the old adage of you get what you pay for but its really only the main restaurant that is based on your accomodations. Everything else on Cunard's ships are open to everyone. So this isn't really a throw back to the era of the Titanic.

Sure I'd look at the itenirary too! South America would be cool but I think the Caribbean is highly over-rated (although that is exactly were I am going this year with Cunard! LOL!)

So deciding factors for me would be a mixture of price, itenirary and just the overall atmosphere of the charter. So yeah I would consider it but an all-out gay charter on the QM2 doesn't necessarily translate to a "must do" event.

I would much rather go on a straight cruise that had some gay content... perhaps we should all encourage the Friends of Dorothy element whatever it is named, on the cruise news.. or use sites like Gaydar in the Sailing Chat rooms to arrange such trips???

Gaydar.co.uk seems vibrant but there is never anyone in the US rooms on the UK site....

If anyone is one the Explorer on Jan 29th - Feb 6th look out for us and say hi .. 2 short haired guys .. one a bear in his 40s with partner 20's slim and cute.. lol

Jon

Gee, we just got into the class thing over on the Celebrity boards when someone asked what people would want to see on their new Challenger series ships. What a debate! I've sailed on Cunard a few times, and never had a problem. Admittedly, because we got great upgrades on QE2, I was in Grill accomodations all those times, so you'll say "of course, YOU didn't have a problem." But just think, I didn't use the other grill restaurants, the Caronia restaurant, or the Mauritania restaurant. I didn't get MORE access to space, but less!;) Ah, but the food....:)

In reality, I was a little aprehensive the first time, because we booked in Caronia grade cabins (the former first class) and were upgraded to Princess Grille. Of course I was excited about the cabin being larger, and about the food in the grill, but I feared that I'd be segregated from the rest of the ship, and only have 200 people to socialize with. Given that the Grill restaurants had a reputation for a rarified atmosphere, I was worried that all the fun people would be in the other dining rooms.

Couldn't have been more opposite. The actuallity on board was that 99% of the passengers mingled together at all things except the meals. And if you like cruises with set dining (we do), you're only talking with your table mates anyway, so what does it matter how many other tables are around you? We got a gang of gay/straight/US Born/Many other countries-born/young/old/all cabin classes group together, and had a blast all day, at cocktail hour, and at the disco into the wee hour! Sold me on the line! I think what pushes people's buttons is the perception that any difference in what you get as a client will automatically equate to snobbery on the part of those that get more. Didn't find that at all, well hardly-see below about the other 1 percent.

What I realized, and here comes the T.V. "afternoon-special" cliche/moral of the story, was that as long as each was comfortable with his/her choice of cabin, and relatively secure in his/her skin, the different dining rooms didn't matter at all. Everyone happily socialized with everyone. The one percent that had a problem? Just a few charmers, of the many people in Queen's Grille, that didn't want to associate with anyone who wasn't in Queen's Grille. Maybe six people out of the 200. Four of them gay...:rolleyes:

My thought? Wasn't it nice of them to pay extra money to Cunard, so Cunard could keep them away from us! :D The rest of that one percent were the types who claim "it's my right to go anywhere on the ship because I paid three shillings, and who do you think you are, you snobs, and I'm just as good as you":rolleyes: Yes, those seventeen people who arrived with a chip on their shoulder- guaranteed to be that way in all things in life, not just on a cruise. And if ya' haven't found someone like that on EVERY cruise, yer not lookin' real hard!

So, while I might not jump at the chance to do the all-gay QM2 thing, I'd never rule out the Cunard experience...and, believe me, at the prices they're charging for the new ship, I'd be the one in the cheap seats on QM2.

Andrew

Hi

never for my partner and me. We like to mingle with all passengers. I guess the staff would go grazy if such an occasion ever will happen, just kidding- hehe- mabe they have to push all air conditioners a bit cooler, otherwise the intererior melts away. LOL.

Michael

Archived