Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Thanks Spins and JP,

It's lovely to get back to the grill and food. The sweetcorn is so sweet and fresh and so cheap. 6 ears of corn delivered today for £1.50 for the six. I make that 25p each and how much cheaper can eating joy get than sweetcorn in season. Also bought some strawberries and cherries, some rib eye and I am going to make cheats donner kebab.

Lovely and warm day today .... and I think I might make some churros and ice cream tonight.

What is everyone else eating and doing today?

Jeff

Thanks Soapy, ......yes just got back .... nice clear ride in Helga.

Yes, however nice Tom's dog is, I feel there are much more suitable options for a lady of style traveling by herself and not enjoying driving and wanting to experience a bit of lovely blighty. Collectively I am sure we can help with a cunning plan if she wants further practical ideas and suggestions from which to choose.

Jeff

I have to laugh, as I definitely would not describe myself as a "lady of style". I have lived in casual northern California the last couple decades, usually wear simple trousers and loose tops rather than designer outfits, and was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth ( not even pewter). But I definitely do like my nice food, wine, inspiring scenery, historical sites, and even people watching, and would like to enjoy as much of the world as possible while I still can.

At 62, I still love driving and will drive rather than fly places if at all possible, accompanied by Audiobooks, and music, and the wonderful feel of the road and ability to have control, or at least to pretend I do. I learned on a manual car at age 16, and while still very healthy, also rode my own motorcycles ( which taught me to be very defensive). I usually think, the twistier and more remote the roads, the better -- but all on the right! I recently watched a couple U tube videos trying to teach Americans how to best drive on the left in the UK, and deal with what they called "aggressive UK tailgaters" and their crazy roundabouts, and while watching my brain kept trying to instinctively steer me to the right on the video twisties. So I either need to watch much more U tube, or simply not drive this trip.

Gravetye sent me a lovely PDF about them and things to do nearby, including walks, and I confirmed I can easily fill my five full days and six nights even without a car just walking, but could get a driver for a couple day ventures a bit further off, like some of the other castles and gardens. There are many appealing things to walk to, including coincidentally a place which beckons with my name on it: it is called The Cat Inn which is a 30 minute walk ( it appears there is no cat shown, and only a dog, despite its title, but that is a ok, they are nice too, just a lot of work if you own them).

DH and I will have to come for a bigger loop trip of the UK in a good car and follow many of your suggestions, as there are soooo many interesting places, perhaps summer 2018, maybe before or after a cruise.

http://www.gravetyemanor.co.uk/sites/default/files/file-upload/u141/1gravetyemanor-thingstodo.pdf

That's fine DL. You just seemed to alight on a property very quickly indeed and booked it and then retro-fitted where you might visit.

Just understand that our country lanes can be very narrow often single track with passing areas and what U tube may not have shown is that every single housewife in the Home Counties (ie those around London) all drive very large 4 x 4's and do not slow down for anyone even when icy. :D

On a subsequent trip with your husband you might want to check out the next county Hampshire where there is Bealiue Motor Museum which I guess your husband would thoroughly enjoy and the surrounding New Forest area. This is our home county so happy to provide any more info.

https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/default-v3.aspx

http://www.bucklershard.co.uk/

http://www.limewoodhotel.co.uk/home/

Jeff

J ...I'm presuming you are in the Grills? Lordy help you if not....[emoji15][emoji30]

Yes, we have booked a Princess Grill which also gives us 3 nights in the Langham 5th Ave before sailing. Good position if a little near Bloomingdale's and Macy's for my liking.

The 'Humidor' on QM is Churchills....a very small space and cigarette smoking I am told is not encouraged...they want the revenue from the big cigars they sell in there.....I'd take little notice however......most certainly the crew don't give a tootle....but some can at times have their head up their rear end.....one just has to be forceful.....the refurb looks good so I'm sure you'll enjoy......[emoji4]

There's a bit of a thread about this on the Cunard boards and it would seem that the ''Only Cigars'' rule is becoming more enforced. There is no other indoor smoking area so another case of tyranny of the minority by the majority?

Gravetye sent me a lovely PDF about them and things to do nearby, including walks, and I confirmed I can easily fill my five full days and six nights even without a car just walking, but could get a driver for a couple day ventures a bit further off, like some of the other castles and gardens. There are many appealing things to walk to, including coincidentally a place which beckons with my name on it: it is called The Cat Inn which is a 30 minute walk ( it appears there is no cat shown, and only a dog, despite its title, but that is a ok, they are nice too, just a lot of work if you own them).

Excellent - I think you will be enchanted by the countryside and even I, as an Irishman, will concede that you will be adopted with alacrity by the regulars of The Cat - the English really are almost as friendly as the Irish!

DH and I will have to come for a bigger loop trip of the UK in a good car and follow many of your suggestions, as there are soooo many interesting places, perhaps summer 2018, maybe before or after a cruise.

Really, I think if you like to see new places and have an interest in history and fine landscapes you need to get away from the South-East if you have been there already and have a look at some of the regions that are less internationally well-known but offer a different perspective on these Isles.

I'm guessing there would be no shortage of volunteers on here to give you a detailed itinerary!!!

What is everyone else eating and doing today?

Jeff

Chicken stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. It will have a fancy name but I daren't ask 'er indoors and show myself up as an uunreconstructed Culchie.

And something called Charlotte Russe for pud. I'll find out what that is when it arrives!

Oh, the pains one suffers when married to a chef (retired but not defeated).

Edited by Tothesunset

Chicken stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. It will have a fancy name but I daren't ask 'er indoors and show myself up as an uunreconstructed Culchie.

And something called Charlotte Russe for pud. I'll find out what that is when it arrives!

Oh, the pains one suffers when married to a chef (retired but not defeated).

You are extremely lucky ....... I cannot remember my wife ever cooking a meal. I've done every single one! My choice I guess. The kids all say the only thing she ever served them was with mash potato! We both have our tasks and I never wash up!

CL should enjoy the Cat Inn .....

Do you think she has asked the hotel whether this 30 minute walk each way, isn't walking down unlit narrow country lanes at closing time in the road ie no pavements - to get back to the hotel.

She is clearly made of braver stuff than us soft Southerners. :D

Jeff

To Terry, yes I am looking forward to football this weekend. I don't think many other coolers care much about our college football, we should reserve our rabid fan feeling for other email sites! I haven't yet caught up with responsibilities here at the casa. We are dealing with deluge from tropical storm, which hit us once peripherally, went out into the gulf and is now swirling again and aiming at the Peninsula one more time. The swath of the storm is quite wide, and as of the moment no one is yet sure where it is aiming. But for sure it is raining! And heavily. Our pool looks like an infinity pool, and we are draining some of the water out. Streets may flood, as we are under a flood watch. Hope some of the coolers will share Fall's beauty on this site! I do miss the change of seasons.

Appreciate Candy's follow-up. Maybe some at the Cooler, especially those in the UK, do not get that excited about college and professional football in the USA, but I believe that it is an important "public service" to educate them and share more as to why we enjoy these activities.

Yes, Florida is getting pounded hard. Hopefully with your location between Palm Beach and Miami that you are at a little distance from the worst impacts. Yes, you have and will be getting rain, but hopefully all turns out in a decent manner under the challenging conditions. Good luck!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 154,906 views for this posting.

For sure Spins you have to be right with regard to your college football.....sorry Terry but l personally don't really feel the need to be educated on this one and say so with all due respect to your love and excitement of the game......I don't follow our football here ..A....because it bores me and B....because I don't agree with the obscene amount of money involved to both the overpaid players and the 'rights' of certain television channels who don't give a monkeys about taking over and cancelling such programmes that us non sport fans usually enjoy.....even though we pay for a licence........

Happy Days.......

S[emoji6][emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovely to see your stunning Santorini piccies Spins. My one's aren't anywhere mear as good as yours but this is lovely wifey in Terrazza when everyone was off of the ship and another I took of a guy who climbed on his chimney for breakfast. It was one of those piccies that come once and it had to be taken ..... and some other randoms ...

Jeff

P1030095_zpsdb3ea26a.jpg

P1030077_zps5d60f681.jpg

P1030075_zps8e5500ee.jpg

P1030069_zps697d36ac.jpg

P1030052_zps0360f65d.jpg

P1030091_zpsa3168a70.jpg

Jeff,

Great photos of Thira and your goddess of a wife. Oia is one of those places which leaves an indelible mark on ones psyche. The blue of the sky, the whitewashed buildings, the incredible view.

The chimney perch picture is priceless!

To think that the volcano which ended the Minoan civilization around 3600 years ago is simmering in its pyroclastic soup right now is mind boggling.

Food is drool provoking.

Greetings Coolers! Awesome pictures from Santorini J and spins (if I may call you that)! Our very first cruise in 2005 included Santorini and it was definitely the highlight for us! Our pictures do not even come close to the wonder you have both captured from that magical spot!

And J...that meal looks incredible!

Have a great weekend all!

Super loved the Santorini pictures from Candy and Jeff. We have been to a few other Greek Isles, including Mykonos. BUT, not, yet, to Santorini. It's high on our to-do priority list. Seems super wonderful. Great food pictures from Jeff.

Hope northern Florida is recovering from their storm hit. That once hurricane seems to have slowed some as it now moves up the Atlantic Coast. Best wishes for all affected. Great, wonderful weather now in Central Ohio. Mid 70's and near perfect for the next couple of days. Moving into that nice fall weather season.

Just watched the in-depth report that Peter Greenberg and CBS-TV News did a couple of hours ago this morning about the Crystal Northwest Passage adventure. Much great details/substance was provided by the ship's Captain. He was extremely impressive! Others, including Keith, were interviewed. Lots of wonderful video views were provided.

In this CBS story, they noted about Crystal planning and selling this same cruise for next year. BUT, they also said that Regent was going to offer it, also, but scrubbed due to changing ice conditions anticipated for next year not being as favorable for this type of sailing.

Here is the link to this excellent Peter Greenberg and CBS News TV report about the Crystal Northwest Passage exploration:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/cruise-ship-navigates-once-impassable-northwest-passage/

Their story is headlined: "Cruise ship navigates once-impassable Northwest Passage". Here are a few highlights from their story: "The ship is now in Radstock Bay, en route to New York City. CBS News travel editor Peter Greenberg reports on how years of preparation and a changing climate made the journey possible."

Below are a few of the visual highlights that were included in their comprehensive story. Great visuals, details and reporting!! Their story had much on the historic details for earlier explorers in these challenging regions. Very interesting report that is worth checking.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 202,587 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some of the visual highlights from the award-winning travel reporter Peter Greenberg. This includes both the ship Captain and Keith being interviewed as part of this highly-detailed reporting. Plus, some samples of the "eye-candy" shown in this national TV report. More to come!!:

TravelSept1611_zpsmup7eb1p.jpg

TravelSept1610_zps9oryv7cn.jpg

TravelSept168_zpsvj0ysoyf.jpg

TravelSept163_zpsdkjy3jam.jpg

Here is one of their TV report visuals that reflects how those on the cruise ship got out on the smaller crafts to see and explore "up close and personal". Looks like great fun!!:

TravelSept165_zpsnujkzq35.jpg

One of the super highlights was this video segment that showed the polar bear running and leaping on the various floating ice blocks. Such an amazing sighting and action segment!! These bears are so cute and lovable:

TravelSept166_zpsgx6aaaet.jpg

I am coming to my cruise family in the Cooler for some insight into what might be considered a reasonable perk offered by a travel agent for booking with them. Please keep in mind that I am not looking for a TA referral!!!!! We have used the same travel agent since 2005 when we started cruising. On previous cruises we have sometimes been gifted with a bottle of wine. I know the perk will somehow relate to the length of the cruise and the money invested. And I understand that there are other considerations in choosing an agent such as responsiveness and knowlege of the cruise industry. However, I have recently begun to wonder if it might be time to look elsewhere. So, I'm asking for input into what might be considered a reasonable perk. And again, I am not looking for a travel agent referral. If this is a sensitive question, I apologize! Thanks for any helpful advice you can provide!

Mysty,

Such a sensitive topic. You might be better off providing an email address for private responses.

If you are concerned about giving out your email, create a new address specifically for the responses.

Also, I think this is a topic that has been addressed and might just be in the archives of cruise critic.

Having said that,there are tons of variables in selecting a TAgent.

Some TAgents give onboard credit as a gift, others might provide a discount.

I had a travel agent who really knew her stuff design a two week vacation in Italy for me and DH that was over the top, and she negotiated prices as well. I couldn't have done the job she did for the price and she thought of everything. We just had to show up, and of course pay. That wasn't a cruise.

I then tried to use her services for a cruise and compared her prices with those of another TA. She turned out to be higher. I even told her that I was given a quote for less money, but she wouldn't match it.

Lovely Santorini pics....never been but maybe one day...drooling over your food Jeffers....have been lazy today and threw a Tesco finest chilli in the oven....

Mysty......TA talk can be sensitive as we all have different expectations l guess.......my agent is brilliant, family run business who knows her stuff down to the last detail. I think the most important thing is that you have confidence in them. Perks in any form are an extra......I don't see the point in having a comp bottle in my suite when one is on an all inclusive cruise so much prefer the discounts and obc which are usually offered.....and that of course can vary greatly.

No need to apologise for asking.....it's the cooler!!

S[emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much S! I did check the archives as spins suggested. Quite a range of perks mentioned there. I agree that having confidence in your agent is key. On our last big adventure I ended up having to do a lot to the "field work" on my own. That's what made me start to question. I think a change may be needed but not for a while. We have to pay off our last one first. :) I appreciate your response!