Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Jeff

Food looks amazing.

Thanks all for good thoughts.

It's up to Mother Nature now. We finished preparations an hour ago. Last was braces for garage door. We are all buttoned up. Sand bags in place.

The shutters occlude all daylight. We are living in a cave.

We are told we are in the bullseye. Storm intensifying.

Jeff Food looks amazing. Thanks all for good thoughts. It's up to Mother Nature now. We finished preparations an hour ago. Last was braces for garage door. We are all buttoned up. Sand bags in place. The shutters occlude all daylight. We are living in a cave. We are told we are in the bullseye. Storm intensifying.

Just got done looking at the detailed weather charts for the coming bad, BAD storm. Looks like early Friday am is when the worst is scheduled to hit Spins' area of south Florida. Right? Living in a cave is not good, but it is better than living in a smashed bowl of high water. Assume you are staying there and not departing the area. Correct? Good luck!!!

Yes, food looks good. Making me hungry.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 203,581 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I think Florida can weather the storm and cope with the aftermath. I really feel sorry for Haiti and its long-suffering people - years under the corrupt Duvaliers, earthquakes, cholera, abject poverty and now this hurricane, the latest in a long destructive line of them. It's the whipping boy of the western world.

Edited by Fletcher

Fletcher, I so agree with you. Haiti in terrible shape before the storm for so many reasons, some which you articulated. I can't imagine the devastation there now.

Agree that this is all very, very sad and tragic. Is Spins still in your "Cave" near the coast? Are you high and dry enough? How far are you located from the ocean?

Sure glad that I never brought that ocean-front mansion in Palm Beach. Not that those "things" are in my price category. Things will be "Rocking 'N Rollin' " in these coastal areas. The key media message now is "GET OUT!!", right?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 156,983 views for this posting.

Spins .... what's news? Are you staying put or moving on out? Thoughts of all of us with you and hope you "stay safe".

Despondent programme from East Cleveland and Youngstown tonight about the Disunited States of America and the spectre of life with Trump.

One month ...... :(

Jeff

Just thinking the same Jeff with regards to Spins.....sounded like they are staying put with them battening down....but whatever happens I too pray for their safety.....looks like the storm will hit Fla in the morning.....

Saw the 'Trump' prog just now also......thankfully I'll be away when it all happens......not sure of l really wish to know the result!

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just heard from my Dad in Ft. Pierce FL. He's about 2h north of Ft. Lauderdale. Rain but no flooding. A few shingles flapping on the roof of the horse barn but otherwise ok. He's out walking his big dog this morning, surveying for anything else. Fingers crossed for everyone in FL. We are flying out tonight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Hello all.

We are ok.

No damage.

North Florida getting hammered.

Weather prognosticators saying the storm may make a circle and come back to us.

I can't handle that thought right now.

Those in Bahamas and Haiti did not do well, sadly.

JP glad your dad ok.

Hello all. We are ok. No damage. North Florida getting hammered. Weather prognosticators saying the storm may make a circle and come back to us. I can't handle that thought right now. Those in Bahamas and Haiti did not do well, sadly. JP glad your dad ok.

Appreciate getting these details and updates from both Spins and JP. Had seen updates last night that the "eye" was at some distance from the South Florida coast. Clearly northern parts of Florida are getting more hit right now. Yes, very sad for those in the Haiti. Been watching the morning TV shows with their on-scene reporting and video. Good news is that they just reported on NBC's Today Show that there has been no loss of life in the Bahamas.

Circling back?? Cannot ever re-call seeing that happen!! Is my memory bad or does anyone else remember that unique potential happening?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 43,548 views for these postings.

Edited by TLCOhio

Hello Coolers.....

Spins, so pleased you've appeared to have missed the worst of the storm......I saw on the news that it may be circling back, just hope it doesn't.

JP.....hope your travels are safe and wishing you and Chris a super vacation.

A quiet weekend beckons here as the weather turns cooler and the nights draw in.....comfort food on the menu and sofa days with four paws.

Happy Day All

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all from Madagascar! It's almost 2am here so time for bed...but we made it safely and so did our luggage. More later!

spinnaker2: JP' date=' Great news! Keep us in the loop. [/quote']

Appreciate JP's update and I second the kind wishes from Spins. Look forward to hearing more that amazing part of Africa.

Spins is getting dried out and being ready for tonight's Michigan and Miami games.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 20,910 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Last night a rustic yet fairly cheffy meal of partridge, the first of the season, served with a saffron risotto and assorted mushrooms. The sauce was made from the partridge bones, chicken stock, mirepoix, demi-glace and a splash of madeira.

DSCN3043_zpssmw89stl.jpg

Good Afternoon Coolers

Fletch, if you don't mind me saying so ... that I think has been my favourite of all of your foody pics so far. I like plain plates normally but that plate fits that lovely food perfectly. I love rissotto and I think it is the test of a cook. You can tell so much about a cook when they make one. Bravo.

I made some pork shoulder on Friday with pan roasties and kraut and a lovely rich gravy and yesterday was just a plain curry for me whilst wife abandoned me for some shopping.

Good to see that you're all safe over the pond ..... and ..... tonight is the night fellow Americans ....... I guess we might call it firewors night? ;)

Jeff

C6D51EDE-A8B7-4B3D-84B3-F4CEEC33C89E.jpg

0E6BF7B9-D0D6-4A01-BDBB-3B7FD8261B3D.jpg

Thanks Jeff and your porky dish looks great. Tonight we're doing pork belly with red cabbage and dumplings. Years ago I did many business trips to what was then Commie Prague and always had duck, dumplings and red cabbage. I think sourcing a proper duck these days is very difficult so I go for the piggy option. Also, my dumplings are nothing like the Czech ones which are much better and made with yeast amongst other things.

My dinner plates, by the way, date from the 1980s and are hand-painted by a company in Italy called Grazia. The pattern is 'Green Bird' and was sold exclusively by Harrods. We used to go to the Sale and built up quite a collection. Like you I really prefer plain plates these days but we still love this Italian design.

Edited by Fletcher

Hi Fletch,

Coincidentallyt ... I have more pork in the "basket" this week and we'll be having dumplings and red cabbage. I use to hate pork but now love it. I think it has moved up the scale from my most hated to most loved.

I may be telling you something you already know, but in case you aren't ... and I respect your love for scratch cooking ... but are you aware that you can buy from Amazon Germany in the UK but you simply wait a few more days and pay a bit more for delivery? It is a really exciting thing for me.

I have a delivery expected next Wednseday for cans of leberknodel soup and other soups we enjoy in Austria plus some knodel mixes. You can set the site to speak in English if you want. I buy a fair amount from other Amazon countries including my Caputo flour from Amazon Italy.

Some of our next delivery is below ...

Jeff

912tMRZrVtL._SL1500_.jpg

91lQSa1%2BlNL._SL1500_.jpg

914E4U5q3XL._SL1500_.jpg

I may be telling you something you already know, but in case you aren't ... and I respect your love for scratch cooking ... but are you aware that you can buy from Amazon Germany in the UK but you simply wait a few more days and pay a bit more for delivery? It is a really exciting thing for me. Jeff

Thanks for that tip, Jeff. I'm going to try Amazon Italy as well.

Good afternoon cruisers. Its been a super busy one at work today. All of my clients are showing up, some an hour early! Makes for a busy day and lots of paperwork. I'm jealous of the retired husband's leisurely day at home with the cats.

The partridge and risotto picture looks absolutely divine. We have been feasting on mainly soups and comforting stews since the weather has turned cooler. Beef vegetable and barley soup with stoneground wheat bread is on the menu tonight. We actually built a fire in the wood fireplace last night. Fall is my favorite season!

xgraphic1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Oqmy2n88oP.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings Coolers!

Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes Mark! We are currently in Calgary with our son and his family to celebrate. Unfortunately it is freezing cold and snowing here. It was 20 C at home when we left so we are really not prepared for the weather here. I am in the process of cooking our turkey and fixings!

Have a great evening all!

Thanks for that tip, Jeff. I'm going to try Amazon Italy as well.

The box of soups arrived a day early yesterday and last night was a leberknodelfest. It was actually better than most of what we eat when out in Vienna.

I've decided that your patridge meal is definately Cooler plate of the year. I can taste it ... although if you don't mind for me you can leave the saffron out as I dislike it and think it removes and wheighs down the lift of the madeira and stock and makes it too earthy. But I love that dish.

Today is pork shoulder and semmelknodel and red cabbage and beetroot. And as I am without sleep tonight I am enjoying some vanilla absolut with kahlua and Narcos on Netflix and I've just added a big log to the fire.

Enjoy the stampede M! :)

Remember to add an "early arrival" premium for your clients Shots. The more you charge the more advice they will follow, the cheaper the advice the less it is valued. So it is in their interest to charge them more presuming your advice is wise. ;)

Jeff