Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Greetings Coolers!

Thanks J....In spite of the cold and snow we are enjoying our visit!

Here is a visual taken from the balcony of our son's condo. There were snow flurries at the time so it looks like the world ends at the end of the balcony rails. There are actually many tall buildings surrounding us that are hidden by the falling snow.

DSC04563_zpsdosirlry.jpg

Have a wonderful day all!

Greetings Coolers!

Thanks J....In spite of the cold and snow we are enjoying our visit!

Here is a visual taken from the balcony of our son's condo. There were snow flurries at the time so it looks like the world ends at the end of the balcony rails. There are actually many tall buildings surrounding us that are hidden by the falling snow.

DSC04563_zpsdosirlry.jpg

Have a wonderful day all!

Snow?? Already???

I'm hoping for at least 2 more months before we see the flurries. Usually we get some in November, but I am being optimistic this year.

Love Calgary! Have been there several times, the mountains are awesome.

Love that snow and the light! Snow light makes everything a little crisp and hard edge and then softens the distance.

I am envious.

It's 85 degrees F here. Slightly cooler than two weeks ago.

Hi Coolers [emoji4]

M...Calgary pics look fabulous, so pleased you are enjoying your time there.

Weather up here in North Wales is very mixed but not too cold yet.

Spins....not long now until your crossing....less time for me so my cases are now open on the bed with the cruise rail up full of stuff to be finally sorted..!

Not making any plans for going ashore as I've been to all of the ports before but l will hopefully find a good tapas bar en route and have the excitement of having my kids on board for my birthday in Cartagena....[emoji16]

Great foodie pics as usual.....still lazy cooking here with simple sausage, mash and BBQ beans for lunch today....

Happy Day All

S [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings Coolers!

It's starting to warm up a bit. Actually made it to 5 C yesterday. Don't be envious spins....I would gladly change places with you (except for the hurricanes). I much prefer heat to cold. Almost 64 years of living in Canada has not made me friends with snow and ice and having to wear three layers of sweaters to keep warm!

Here is a picture of the mountains from the balcony. Does this look familiar spins? :)

DSC04578_zpsmjl1dw9l.jpg

Thanks S.....And now the fun of planning your cruise fashion statement begins! :) Enjoy that process!

Have a great day all!

Sophia,

Happy birthday in advance. Lovely to have the kidlets aboard to celebrate. Happy packing!

Mysty,

A gorgeous day in Calgary. I never did make it to Banff or lake Louise, but it's on my bucket list.

Yes still hot here. Our pool is a vivid green, apparently not in balance, but a striking color nonetheless. Pool guys here today to try and fix it. Looks inviting, but they loaded it with chemicals, so no go. Certainly hot enough to swim. Dogs want to jump in. Still haven't put all outdoor furniture back in its proper place. A lot of work!

Sophia, Happy birthday in advance. Lovely to have the kidlets aboard to celebrate. Happy packing!

Mysty, A gorgeous day in Calgary. I never did make it to Banff or lake Louise, but it's on my bucket list.

Yes still hot here. Our pool is a vivid green, apparently not in balance, but a striking color nonetheless. Pool guys here today to try and fix it. Looks inviting, but they loaded it with chemicals, so no go. Certainly hot enough to swim. Dogs want to jump in. Still haven't put all outdoor furniture back in its proper place. A lot of work!

Great photos posted lately, including the tasty food delights. Yes, Happy Birthday to Sophia. I have one of those "things" coming up later this month. For us, we do have on our future, to-do list the prime locations of Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise. Not been there, yet. Good luck on the pool clean-up, getting the outdoor furniture back, etc. Sorry I can't be there and help.

Going way back, we have visited busy, wonderful and charming South Florida many times. BUT, it has been a decade or so since being down there. Been too busy doing lots in Europe, plus Australia/NZ, Africa, Amazon River, etc.

Am looking to do a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco cruise through the Panama Canal in late February-early March 2017. This would be our first time for visiting Columbia, Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico, etc. Several high school classmates with my wife urged us to come along and it sounds like a good idea. Right? Any good tips and background from those who have cruised through these areas?

Especially for Spins and from any others who know the area, for any special secrets, ideas, suggestions, experiences, etc., to share as to what is best, new and interesting for Ft. Lauderdale? We like to feed our loves in history, culture, food, photography and sampling the people and character. Just doing the usual tourist stops/shopping/beach is not our priority here as we have done many or most of those options in the past. We fly in to FLL the day before our cruise boarding. We do not have a huge amount time in Fort Lauderdale, but there is some afternoon, evening and morning time before our boarding time to sample a few area options.

Any new Ft. Lauderdale must-see? Worth it to take that time and effort? For a hotel, we are looking to stay near both the FLL airport and the nearby ship boarding location. Without going crazy on overly-trendy places, what are the best dining stars these days in this area?

Looking forward to the smart sharing of any good, unique ideas, tips and secrets. After departing Ft. Lauderdale at 4 pm on February 28, we have two sea-days before arriving in Aruba. No need to "rest up" before those two sea-days. Might as well get a rental car to have/do a few good experiences in the FLL region/area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 157,339 views for this posting.

Terry

The doubletree on intercoastal is nice. Many of our clients stayed there.

Walking distance to beach...some good restaurants very nearby. One of my favorites is il mulino. They make their own pasta, sauce, etc. reasonable prices but no reservations!

Also sushi rock is near there, a good Thai restaurant and good mexican food, all in the same plaza. Also a good southwestern restaurant, Canyon, small but they make good prickly pear margaritas.

If you want to venture to more $$$ places, the riverside hotel is old ft lauderdale on las olas. The ambiance is reason to stay there, but prices up and down las olas for eats are expensive and trendy. You can walk to the historic Stranahan house. Or take the Water taxi.

Bonnet house is historic house and gardens.

If you want vegetarian food, I highly recommend Sublime! It's on north federal highway kind of near the doubletree, but not walking distance due to crazy traffic patterns. My old office is just across the street from il Mulino...so I know that area pretty well.

If il Mulino is the same as the ones in NYC and DC then I agree it would be excellent, although I think the one in DC may have closed.

For seafood I always enjoy the 15th Street Fisheries, but I bet Spins may have other great suggestions as well.

Terry The doubletree on intercoastal is nice. Many of our clients stayed there. Walking distance to beach...some good restaurants very nearby. One of my favorites is il mulino. They make their own pasta, sauce, etc. reasonable prices but no reservations! Also sushi rock is near there, a good Thai restaurant and good mexican food, all in the same plaza. Also a good southwestern restaurant, Canyon, small but they make good prickly pear margaritas. If you want to venture to more $$$ places, the riverside hotel is old ft lauderdale on las olas. The ambiance is reason to stay there, but prices up and down las olas for eats are expensive and trendy. You can walk to the historic Stranahan house. Or take the Water taxi. Bonnet house is historic house and gardens. If you want vegetarian food, I highly recommend Sublime! It's on north federal highway kind of near the doubletree, but not walking distance due to crazy traffic patterns. My old office is just across the street from il Mulino...so I know that area pretty well.

spinnaker2: PS' date=' The airport is not far from downtown ft lauderdale and easy to get to, thus I [b']suggest not staying too close to it, noisy and no great neighborhoods[/b].

ernieb: If il Mulino is the same as the ones in NYC and DC then I agree it would be excellent' date=' although I think the one in DC may have closed. For seafood I always enjoy the [b']15th Street Fisheries[/b], but I bet Spins may have other great suggestions as well.

Appreciate these great and fast suggestions. Did make a reservation at the GALLERYone, a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel at 2670 East Sunrise Boulevard. Correct location, right? It's a little higher in cost than what I had booked, but you make an excellent point about the neighborhood, noise, etc. Having a couple options is good for right now. Can adjust these reservations as we get closer to later February. We will only be here one night, so it's not like we are staying for a week. Seems like this is a former apartment building switch to be a suite hotel that is so near to the upscale Saks, Neiman-Marcus, etc., Galleria Mall. Right?

Will check out more on the other nice suggestions.

Keep it coming! Loving the info and background. Looked at the il Mulino website and this dining place seems to be very nice. It's open for that Monday evening, too.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 217,764 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Ernie

It's not the same il mulino as NYC. That one is $$$$$$. I believe this one in ft lauderdale predates NYC, but as I said not the same one.

Food is very very good and consistent. Many of those in our office frequented the place often, a short walk across the street to get soup( pasta fagiole excellent). Another short walk for a glass of vino post work. I can honestly say I enjoyed every meal I had there. Family used to beg me to bring it home for dinner! In the early mornings you could smell the soubise wafting across to our parking lot from their kitchen.

I have got to go back for a visit!

I can honestly say I enjoyed every meal I had there. Family used to beg me to bring it home for dinner! In the early mornings you could smell the soubise wafting across to our parking lot from their kitchen.

I have got to go back for a visit!

YES!! Sounds and smells great! Love these very specific and fun details. Let us know if you go back there in the next few months. Or, if you're around town on Monday, Feb. 27 to have dinner there when we fly into FLL before boarding to sail towards the Panama Canal.

Any others who done the sailing through the Panama Canal and experiences/tips that can be shared?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 203,822 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry,

We sailed the Panama Canal. Do the research before hand, read up about the construction where so many perished in the building process. One book is Panama Fever by Parker.

Get up as early as you can in the day of transit. Before sunrise. You will want to see the approach and secure a good viewing spot.

Have cameras ready. Have zoom capability and wide angle.

Record the activity. Watch for the guys in the rowboats.

Get up as high on deck as you can and as far forward.

Don't look up with your mouth open, sea birds love to fly just above you!

Watch the water change color. Fascinating experience.

Hopefully, Terry, you would visit Guatamala, Colombia (or Columbia as our dozy Foreign Secretary would have it) and Costa Rica. Fascinating countries; we were particularly struck buy the vibrancy in each of the 3 stops. In fact, we are seriously considering a land visit to each of the 3 to get a more in-depth feel for each country.

The canal is simply awesome but I have to say that the Kiel Canal transit, while less immediately impressive, is considerably more pretty.

Terry, We sailed the Panama Canal. Do the research before hand, read up about the construction where so many perished in the building process. One book is Panama Fever by Parker. Get up as early as you can in the day of transit. Before sunrise. You will want to see the approach and secure a good viewing spot. Have cameras ready. Have zoom capability and wide angle. Record the activity. Watch for the guys in the rowboats. Get up as high on deck as you can and as far forward. Don't look up with your mouth open, sea birds love to fly just above you! Watch the water change color. Fascinating experience.

Tothesunset: Hopefully' date=' Terry, you would visit Guatamala, Colombia (or Columbia as our dozy Foreign Secretary would have it) and Costa Rica. Fascinating countries; we were [b']particularly struck buy the vibrancy[/b] in each of the 3 stops. In fact, we are seriously considering a land visit to each of the 3 to get a more in-depth feel for each country. The canal is simply awesome but I have to say that the Kiel Canal transit, while less immediately impressive, is considerably more pretty.

Appreciate these above wonderful, added details from Spins and Tothesunset. Very helpful and interesting!! Glad that Candy shared some pictures to me and I am posting one of them below. Hopefully this inspires others to share for any and all of their Panama Canal experiences.

But, Candy notes: "Don't look up with your mouth open, sea birds love to fly just above you!" Does that mean what I think you are warning as to bird poop potentially coming down upon us?

Our cruise will not have a stop in Guatemala. Sorry! We will have stops in Aruba (that we visited early last year during our Amazon, etc., trip), Cartagena/Colombia, Puntarenas/Costa Rica, San Juan del Sur/Nicaragua and Cabo San Lucas/Mexico. First time for Colombia, Central America and Mexico. Glad to read your comment as to "particularly struck buy the vibrancy" regarding these areas. We have heard great things about these stops and areas.

Other experiences, insights and tips?

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 63,216 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is one of the pictures that Candy sent to me from her transiting the Panama Canal. Yes, this visual helps in building up the interest and excitement for this upcoming "adventure". Always like going to and doing new, different locations that have some special, unique history. With the new canal locks opening, plus the 100th anniversary of its open being celebrated two years ago, it all sounds exciting!!:

TravelSept162_zpsm8oeehfv.jpg

Jeffers.....have you got wind? [emoji6]

Pics of the Panama Canal Transit don't look familiar at all to me compared to when l went through in 1971...for then it was all jungle...no open spaces and lots of birds and other wildlife....rather sad .....

Quiet weekend.....just two weeks until l sail.....so lots to do....

Happy Sunday All

S[emoji5]

Jeff

Not sure just what specific aspect of Trump you are hurumphing, all of his antics are repulsive to me.

Sophia,

So close now! I am envious your cruise is just two weeks away. You will have a terrific time.

We haven't heard from JP, hope all is well and he's so enthralled with Madagascar he can't post.

Have a great rest of the weekend all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pics of the Panama Canal Transit don't look familiar at all to me compared to when l went through in 1971...for then it was all jungle...no open spaces and lots of birds and other wildlife....rather sad .....

spinnaker2: We haven't heard from JP' date=' hope all is well and [b']he's so enthralled with Madagascar[/b] he can't post.

Appreciate the very interesting mention of the details on the Panama Canal as to how things have changed so much from the 1970's. Did not realize that shift compared to the "jungle days" from just five decades ago. Am planning on reading the highly-suggested "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough for more of that history.

Below is another picture from the Panama Canal recently. On another CC board, I ask some questions and one post came back to share pictures from their trip to the Panama Canal, Colombia, etc. Just sharing below two of those images here. You can see more very nice travel pictures at:

http://nancysoasis.com/2014PanamaPT/2014PanamaPT.html

Yes, agree with Spins that we need to hear from JP and those really exciting adventures in Madagascar. At least, one "Hi and wish you were here" comment would be nice. Safe travels for specialcruisegirl!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 157,482 views for this posting.

Here are just two visuals samples from Nancy's very nice "Oasis" of travel highlights. First is one picture in going through the Panama Canal. Second is a picture from Cartagena/Colombia that highlights music and dance by the Calenda Folkloric Group. Very nice photography work by Nancy!!:

TravelSept162_zps2vg4duvi.jpg

TravelSept161_zpsa4ngnokw.jpg

Hi All......

Spins...thanks for the good wishes....hope you have fun too following us!

Terry....all l can remember is a very small canal transit with literal jungle on either side....quite amazing for a 19 year old to witness at the time and l wish l had taken pictures....what l do recall is that the ship broke down in Panama for three days during which time orders from the captain forbade us female crew from going ashore....and then asking the pax to choose between visiting LA or Acapulco as we couldn't do both....Acapulco won.....quite wonderful again in those days....l have no wish now to re-visit.

Chilli luncheon beckons.....happy day to all....

S [emoji5]

Hi all. First reliable Internet in a long time. Loving it here. Wildlife amazing, food surprisingly good, great guides. Roads are miserable and hotels variable. But it's been great so far and looking forward to sharing some of it with you when I get all the pictures and trip report organized. Off for an afternoon hike if our guide shows up...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app