Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Mysty,

Sophia is absolutely on point, as usual. The reason I suggested the private email route is that you might get some more specific detail that we can't, per the rules, suggest.

For the cruise that you just took, wouldn't it have been nice to have OBC and a discount, as Sophia mentioned?

I had to get educated, in person, about the various options out there.

Thanks spins! You're absolutely right! Those things would have been much appreciated! From what other passengers on that trip mentioned in passing - we got the very short end of the stick! I wasn't sure if perks like that were common or just a function of the nature of the trip. I now need to get educated! And your suggestion re the email input was a good one! I'll have to figure out how to set up an email address that I can use for this kind of thing. Once again, I appreciate your input! :)

Mysty, good luck for your look for a TA.

If you do decide to register a forum only email address, I suggest you post it as for example mystyatgooglemail.com so as the email hoovers don't mop you up for lots of spam.

Also if someone makes contact saying that they are so and so on CC, and you wish to be reassured they are who they say they are then just ask them to post a specific word in a forum post and that ties up the person securely with their forum handle here.

Tonight was chicken shashlick with some nice pickles and a papadom.

Jeff

451C6D57-9168-4D4C-A08A-DF1B7D9B895B.jpg

Thanks so much for your excellent suggestions J! I am a wee bit nervous about the email thing and those helpful hints will come in handy! :)

Your meal looks delicous and I think I can smell the wonderful spices from here!

No probs.

One final thought. If you do publish an email address don't post it in a message, but put it in your "footer". This means (I believe) that you can edit out your email address from a footer later say after a day or so, and it changes all your earlier posts whereas if you put it in a body of a post it stays published for ever.

I believe that to be true but I do not use footers so don't know for sure.

Jeff

I am coming to my cruise family in the Cooler for some insight into what might be considered a reasonable perk offered by a travel agent for booking with them. Please keep in mind that I am not looking for a TA referral!!!!! We have used the same travel agent since 2005 when we started cruising. On previous cruises we have sometimes been gifted with a bottle of wine. I know the perk will somehow relate to the length of the cruise and the money invested. And I understand that there are other considerations in choosing an agent such as responsiveness and knowlege of the cruise industry. However, I have recently begun to wonder if it might be time to look elsewhere. So, I'm asking for input into what might be considered a reasonable perk. And again, I am not looking for a travel agent referral. If this is a sensitive question, I apologize! Thanks for any helpful advice you can provide!

As per spins' suggestion I am respectfully requesting input regarding this question. If you feel so inclined kindly see the signature. :) Thank you for your consideration! Also thanks to spins, Sophia and Jeff!

there are tons of variables in selecting a Agent. Some TAgents give onboard credit as a gift, others might provide a discount. I had a travel agent who really knew her stuff design a two week vacation in Italy for me and DH that was over the top, and she negotiated prices as well. I couldn't have done the job she did for the price and she thought of everything. We just had to show up, and of course pay. That wasn't a cruise. I then tried to use her services for a cruise and compared her prices with those of another TA. She turned out to be higher. I even told her that I was given a quote for less money, but she wouldn't match it.

mysty: Thanks spins! You're absolutely right! Those things would have been much appreciated! From what other passengers on that trip mentioned in passing - we got the very short end of the stick! I wasn't sure if perks like that were common or just a function of the nature of the trip. I now need to get educated! And your suggestion re the email input was a good one! I'll have to figure out how to set up an email address that I can use for this kind of thing. Once again' date=' I appreciate your input! [/quote']

YES! YES!! Super agree with Candy's wise observation of "tons of variables in selecting a Agent". Here below is what I have posted and shared earlier on this subject:

On these Cruise Critic boards over time, many questions will come up on travel agent, their need/value, the future for that profession, etc. Unfortunately, we cannot name or suggest here any specific agent. BUT, just wanted to offer a shout-out for the value and worth of really good travel agents. Clearly some are just "order-takers". Not much value-added by that process or type of agent. That makes it easier to just do it yourself via the Internet and/or phones. We have worked with ours since 2006 and she is so important because of her vast travel experiences around the world, being honest, blunt and candid for options being considered, etc. In 2014 for our Australia-NZ adventure, she had been there 25+ times and had many keen insights. Personally, I like to do lots of reading and research myself. I do not do everything that Fran suggests, but it is all part of the "total information picture" in planning and preparing. She had also been herself in most of these Amazon River locations and Africa places that helps us so much in our planning for our two most recent "adventures".

What is the best of all world? It is, in my view, . . . an excellent agent AND an involved, interested customer. In most cases, if you book it yourself and/or through a cruise line staffer, you are going to be paying the same amount for the cruise. Why not, if possible to have a smart and savvy travel agent, enjoy those extra benefits and gain so much more insights about where you are visiting, designation options, etc. Finally, when or if you have a "problem" and challenge during the pre-cruise period, it is good to have a strong advocate to push and argue on your behalf. Of course, getting an excellent travel agent is not always that easy. There are some secrets that I can suggest, later, if it is of interest.

So much, as Candy notes, depends on what you are seeking and needing. Perks? That is another unique and interesting area. Some agents will promise sending you back a check "as a perk" after you have completed your cruise. Maybe you get the check? Maybe not? Never have hooked up with and/or trusted that type of Internet agent. There are lots of promises and pitches!! What to believe and trust?

Much might also depends on what travel group consortium, if any, your agent is associated. Ours is a part of a large, major group and certain added perks and/or special port tour/event have been and/or could be offered. Those will vary as it depends on the "deal" that the cruise line will be providing to the agent group. Lots of variable and options. Added questions and reactions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 154,964 views for this posting.

We have an excellent Internet based agent who was recommended to me by a fellow Silversea CC member. We can contact her by phone or email and she and her team provide 24/7 support. We've used her for some six Silversea cruises now and she been super in every respect. She's not only handled our Silversea bookings but has also come through with great pre and post cruise hotel and transfer recommendations and bookings. Best of all we've gotten 11+% cash discounts on our Silversea cruises. At least two other friends are now using her with equal satisfaction.

Edited by Randyk47

Good morning Coolers

Just to say how much I enjoyed what is now the previous page on here - lovely pictures of Santorini, food, and of the current Crystal cruise in the northwest passage. Thanks everyone.

Re agents - in the UK we (or maybe it is just us) tend to go for the agent who simply gives the best discount over the cruise line price for a cruise. Some others may include air fares, do a package with hotel nights or the Orient Express and so on, but charge more, but a simple discount of about 10% or even 11% off the then current price works for us. No on board credit or flower arrangements, however!

Lola

Greetings Coolers! It is starting to get chilly. Morning temp is 51 F. Leaves have actually started to change. I love fall and I detest winter. We won't be escaping it this year. :(

Randyk47....That is a sweet arrangement you have with a gifted agent! Thanks for responding!

Lola...Thanks for your response! I was under the impression (wrongly it seems) that SS prices could not be discounted. We have never even attempted to bargain on the cruise price.

And spins...thanks for thinking of me! :)

Education week coming up! Thanks all for your time!

Have a great day!

Greetings Coolers! It is starting to get chilly. Morning temp is 51 F. Leaves have actually started to change. I love fall and I detest winter. We won't be escaping it this year.

Appreciate your great summary point of "I love fall and I detest winter." We will probably not be escaping this winter as we have done for the past three years with Australia/NZ, Amazon/Caribbean and Africa. Today and tomorrow are looking and being perfect with high's in the 70's and cooler in the evening. Agree that fall weather can be wonderful.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 155,019 views for this posting.

I just stumbled on this winter weather story for Canada. It is not looking good for us! I may not leave the house after October. :(

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/almanac-winter-predictions-1.3745675

BRRRRRRR!

That's funny.

Each year one of the less discerning national newspapers whose sole purpose seems to be to scare the bejesus out of the aspiring lower middle-classes (and I refuse to mention the Daily Mail by name) will have a shock-horror article in autumn that declares we are to have the coldest winter ever. Similarly each spring they do something along the lines of the hottest summer known to man is just around the corner.

Of course, statistically they will be correct one year and you'd better believe they'll say we told you so.

My forecast? Winter will be cold, summer will be warm and spring and autumn will be somewhere in between. Bet I'm right.

Tothesunset...You are absolutely spot on in your weather prediction! :) I'd say it is a sure bet! In my case I am somewhat wishing that the trip we took to avoid winter this year should perhaps have been better planned in order to avoid the winter coming up. Last winter was very mild here with less snow than usual. I will have to dig out my YakTrax to manage the walk to the mailbox. Not a pretty picture!

Tothesunset...You are absolutely spot on in your weather prediction! :) I'd say it is a sure bet! In my case I am somewhat wishing that the trip we took to avoid winter this year should perhaps have been better planned in order to avoid the winter coming up. Last winter was very mild here with less snow than usual. I will have to dig out my YakTrax to manage the walk to the mailbox. Not a pretty picture!

Your frame of reference for winter is very different from that in the UK. If the temperature - even fleetingly - dips below freezing we get bombarded with reports of the Artic weather enveloping Britain. A snowfall in excess of 1cm brings most of the country to a halt, schools close, hapless reporters sre sent to somewhere exposed and mildly breezy to report of the coming of the new ice-age and, worst of all, the met office will find somewhere traditionally cold (Siberia, Toronto, Finland) that is happening to have a mild spell so that the headlines can read ''Britain shivers in icy grip of Winter: Colder than **** (insert exotic cold place here)''. It's comical.

Same in summer - get above 25 celsius (about 75f) and we have not only heat warnings but also medical experts advising people on how to stay healthy in the heatwave - sometimes these ''heatwaves'' can last as long as 3 or 4 days. Seriously.

I think that's why the British love to talk about the weather - we don't really get any!

Tothesunset...And Canadians talk about the weather because we do get weather. Winters here can have temps of -30 C for days at a time and summers can have temps of 30 C for days at a time. In winter our weather forecasts include the "windchill" which is a supposed measure of how cold it actually feels. So the data might be a temperature of -30 C and a windchill of -38 C. In summer our weather forecasts include the "humidex" which is a supposed measure of how hot it actually feels. So the data might be a temperature of 30 C and a humidex of 38 C. Apparently in February of 2015 Canada's capital was the coldest on the planet. :)

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/canadas-capital-appears-to-have-been-coldest-on-the-planet-over-the-weekend

Randyk47....That is a sweet arrangement you have with a gifted agent! Thanks for responding!

Lola...Thanks for your response! I was under the impression (wrongly it seems) that SS prices could not be discounted. We have never even attempted to bargain on the cruise price.

Sorry I can't give you anymore details here.

A word or two about discounting. In reality what most discounters are doing is rebating a large portion of their commission. A few might even get large block booking discounts from a cruise line and pass that on though that's mostly with the large mass market lines and the very large agencies. Silversea, and actually the vast majority of cruise lines, discourage discounting and to that end most lines simply won't do business with agents or agencies that openly advertise their discounted rates. Years ago you could actually see discounted fares on the Internet but established brick and mortar agents and agencies basically threatened to stop booking cruises with lines that permitted open discounting. The end result is with any discounter you're pretty much going to have to either talk to them over the phone or through email to get their offers as you'll not see them on line.

True some Internet agencies do nothing more than book the cruise and offer virtually no other service. Some, like the one we use now, are virtually full service agencies and are no different than a brick and mortar agency. I will say that's not for everybody. I have acquaintances that are what I call "fire and forget" travelers. They call or visit their agent and say "find us a cruise to Wherever Land" and sit back and see what the agent comes up with from the cruise to flights to hotels, etc. That's not us. We research and plan our cruises ourselves to the point where we pretty much know exactly what we want and just need somebody to book it. That's part of the fun and excitement of cruise planning for us. We have the time and travel experience to do it ourselves and don't want or need much "handholding".