Siena or Greve in Chianti region?

cadburysmom

Our ship docks in Livorno mid-October and we are considering day trips to one of these cities. Each includes stops at local wineries and a wine pairing lunch. I've heard wonderful things about Siena but the wine tour to Greve with lunch at nearby Castle Vicchiomaggio sounds interesting, too. The wine pairing lunch in Siena takes place in a local restaurant.

Friends loved their stay at Castle Vicchiomaggio but I know very little about Greve. Wondering if anyone has been to both and if so, would you recommend?

Our ship docks in Livorno mid-October and we are considering day trips to one of these cities. Each includes stops at local wineries and a wine pairing lunch. I've heard wonderful things about Siena but the wine tour to Greve with lunch at nearby Castle Vicchiomaggio sounds interesting, too. The wine pairing lunch in Siena takes place in a local restaurant.

Friends loved their stay at Castle Vicchiomaggio but I know very little about Greve. Wondering if anyone has been to both and if so, would you recommend?

Siena - no question about it. The city is wonderful and much more interesting than Greve. And you are on Seabourn, so count on the lunch in Siena to be at least as good as the one in the castle. The castle has been doing set lunches for cruise tours (any line, not just SB) and it will be good, but probably not spectacular.

Just a word about Greve and its region. There is a country (2 lane) road (the SR222) that runs between Florence and Siena. This particular road goes right through the heart of the Chianti wine region and there are quite a few smaller villages along the route that include Greve. The road is oft referred to as the "Wine Road" or "Wine Trail" since there are so many wineries located along the route. In fact, Greve is one of the larger villages with a population of around 15,000. DW and I have spent more then our share of time driving in the region (we love wine country) and never thought that Greve was anything special other then a place where we could always find a cafe and rest rooms :). But the real charm of Greve lies in the surrounding region which has many smaller family owned wineries. Like many parts of Tuscany this region can be quite picturesque.

For Oenophiles, this is an region that is heavily planted with Sangiovese grapes.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Just a word about Greve and its region. There is a country (2 lane) road (the SR222) that runs between Florence and Siena. This particular road goes right through the heart of the Chianti wine region and there are quite a few smaller villages along the route that include Greve. The road is oft referred to as the "Wine Road" or "Wine Trail" since there are so many wineries located along the route. In fact, Greve is one of the larger villages with a population of around 15,000. DW and I have spent more then our share of time driving in the region (we love wine country) and never thought that Greve was anything special other then a place where we could always find a cafe and rest rooms :). But the real charm of Greve lies in the surrounding region which has many smaller family owned wineries. Like many parts of Tuscany this region can be quite picturesque.

For Oenophiles, this is an region that is heavily planted with Sangiovese grapes.

Hank

You must have ESP!

My travel partner, quite the oenophile, is VERY interested in those very wineries and would very much have preferred a land vacation in that area. BUT, as we recently did a land vacation elsewhere, our friends wanted to do a cruise instead, so there you have it.

We'll do the Siena excursion while on the cruise and are planning a week-long stay in the region for next year. Not a problem for me as I love that region too and as far as Castello Vicchiomaggio goes, I'd much rather stay overnight than for just one meal.;)

Where did you and your wife stay? We've enjoyed past stays in Florence and would like to stay outside the city.

We'll do the Siena excursion while on the cruise and are planning a week-long stay in the region for next year.

Smart choice. We stayed in Panzano, just outside Greve, for 4 days last summer and the region deserves more than just a fleeting drive-thru. Absolutely gorgeous.

Not Hank, but we stayed here more than a few years ago, just after it was discovered by Karen Brown, fortunately before she published. Remains one of favorite hotel stays ever. Good to see TA review are nearly flawless:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g235123-d239277-Reviews-La_Locanda-Radda_in_Chianti_Tuscany.html

Guido is the most delightful host you'll ever encounter at a B&B. It's south of Greve and just north of Radda.

You must have ESP!

My travel partner, quite the oenophile, is VERY interested in those very wineries and would very much have preferred a land vacation in that area. BUT, as we recently did a land vacation elsewhere, our friends wanted to do a cruise instead, so there you have it.

We'll do the Siena excursion while on the cruise and are planning a week-long stay in the region for next year. Not a problem for me as I love that region too and as far as Castello Vicchiomaggio goes, I'd much rather stay overnight than for just one meal.;)

Where did you and your wife stay? We've enjoyed past stays in Florence and would like to stay outside the city.

We have stayed at multiple locations within the region (over a lot of years). One of our favorites was a decent 4 Star Hotel property a few miles from San Gimignano called the Villa San Paolo. There are other decent rental properties within a few miles of San Gimignano which are high on our list for future trips. On another visit we spent a few days just outside of Siena (we will not recommend the motel we used) but DW would say that the worst meal she ever had in Italy (and we have spent a lot of time in Italy) was in a recommended restaurant near the Plaza Mayor of Siena. The lesson, which we know all too well, is do not listen to tour books when it comes to most restaurants :). We have also spent a few multi-day visits in Florence at the Hotel David (free parking and our home away from home).

For a few years we have considered returning to the San Gimignano area for either 1 or 2 weeks in a rented apartment. Our problem is we want a nice place for only 2, and this is not easy to find. There are many wonderful villas for groups of 8+, but for a couple it is tricky. But it took us a long time to find the perfect places in Provence (France) and we will eventually find the right place.

Hank

Thank you Buggins and Hank for the hotel suggestions. They each look wonderful and get great reviews on Tripadvisor.

And Hank, I totally agree about renting. We've run into that very problem and trying to decide whether to invite friends to join us but at the same time want the freedom to do it on our own and not have to deal with a "group". Not that we don't enjoy our usual travel buddies but sometimes it's just easier with two.:)

Looking forward to next year's trip now more than ever!:)

Smart choice. We stayed in Panzano, just outside Greve, for 4 days last summer and the region deserves more than just a fleeting drive-thru. Absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks!

Do you recall where you stayed in Panzano? And did you feel it was too hot in the summer? We're thinking mid-fall so as to avoid crowds. Worried a little about rainy weather, though.

Thanks!

Do you recall where you stayed in Panzano? And did you feel it was too hot in the summer? We're thinking mid-fall so as to avoid crowds. Worried a little about rainy weather, though.

We rented a wonderful 2-bedroom cottage, Agriturismo Felciano: http://www.panzano.com/holidaycottageintuscany.htm. We saw some stunning vistas during our travels, but the best views were from this cottage. Plus, the owner provides you with a free bottle of their homemade wine and mini-bottle of olive oil upon arrival, and you can buy additional bottles of wine for 4 euros - making it pretty much the perfect set-up for us :D.

In terms of temperature, it was hot, but I didn't find it unbearably so (we were there at the end of July). And in the evening, we'd open the window shutters and get lovely cross-breezes, making it very comfortable to sleep.

Edited by Twickenham

We rented a wonderful 2-bedroom cottage, Agriturismo Felciano: http://www.panzano.com/holidaycottageintuscany.htm. We saw some stunning vistas during our travels, but the best views were from this cottage. Plus, the owner provides you with a free bottle of their homemade wine and mini-bottle of olive oil upon arrival, and you can buy additional bottles of wine for 4 euros - making it pretty much the perfect set-up for us :D.

In terms of temperature, it was hot, but I didn't find it unbearably so (we were there at the end of July). And in the evening, we'd open the window shutters and get lovely cross-breezes, making it very comfortable to sleep.

Sounds absolutely amazing. Thanks!:D

Since I opened the "rental" issue a few more words about this option. DW and I love to rent in Europe and have done it multiple times (mostly in France). In France we never have a problem finding a decent rental property whether in a city like Paris or in small village such as St Remy de Provence. But despite spending a lot of time driving in Italy, and numerous nights at various hotels, Agritourismo's, etc. we have never found the "perfect" rental in Tuscany that is suited for a couple. And I have been searching for about twenty years! Yes, there are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of advertised rental properties in Tuscany, but none small enough for only a couple have met our personal standards and location requirements.

Hank