8:00 AM MIAMI Arrival

L75317

My husband and I are arriving in Miami 1-day before our cruise, bright and early at 8am. We are looking for a hotel that will let us store our luggage for the day, that is convenient to the port and for sightseeing. I have heard from 2 people that we should not stay in Downtown for safety reasons. We were looking at the Yve and the Hampton Inn Brickell, but now I'm rethinking. Is South Beach a better choice? We have never been to Miami, so suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

Brickell area is fine .... this is the financial district and very close to a popular lunch area for that crowd .... I used to visit this area frequently for work and always felt safe. Like any big city Miami has its ups and downs but this is an UP area

Most hotels are OK with holding bags but I'd call to check.

also consider http://www.aloftmiamibrickell.com/

(lived in Miami for 10+ years ... dd just moved from Miami after working and living downtown for 2 years w/ NO problems. I worked downtown for 4 years, the rest was in the port . . . ship driver)

Edited by Capt_BJ

Downtown Miami hotels are very safe.

In fact, the area at night is safer with each passing year.

I think those who advised you have not been there for years.

We have been staying downtown for the eight years once or twice a year.

I would look at:

Hampton Inn

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis

Marriott

Hyatt

Holiday Inn Bayside

Conrad Hilton

From any of these hotels you are in walking distance of many restaurants.

My preference is being near Mary Brickell Village with lots of restaurants to choose from. Also a 24 hour CVS for last minute items and a Publix Grocery Store.

The Hotels that I mentioned close to Mary Brickell would include Hampton Inn, Marriott and Conrad Hilton.

While South Beach is relatively safe that is an area I would be more careful when walking around at night because of the volume of people.

Keith

My husband and I are arriving in Miami 1-day before our cruise, bright and early at 8am. We are looking for a hotel that will let us store our luggage for the day, that is convenient to the port and for sightseeing. I have heard from 2 people that we should not stay in Downtown for safety reasons. We were looking at the Yve and the Hampton Inn Brickell, but now I'm rethinking. Is South Beach a better choice? We have never been to Miami, so suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

Whomever told you downtown wasn't safe hasn't been to Miami in years.

Brickell and downtown are both great places. I also like South Beach, Coral Gables, and Coconut Grove.

Whomever told you downtown wasn't safe hasn't been to Miami in years.

Brickell and downtown are both great places. I also like South Beach, Coral Gables, and Coconut Grove.

And that is the problem when getting advice.

Our first stay in Miami was in 2007 other than when I stayed there with my family on trips in the 1960's. Drove around there in the 1980's and early 1990's and didn't care for it and it definitely had issues.

Fast forward to 2007 and it was great and with each succeeding year we feel safer and safer. At night we walk from Four Seasons to the American Airlines Center and back and never feel unsafe. And we are city smart.

To me same goes for the Miami airport. Used to not care for it but nowadays the terminal that we typically fly in and out of as we use American Airlines is one of the better ones in the States having been renovated a few years ago.

Used to be that in the 1970's thru 1990's that walking around Broadway at night in NYC was dangerous. Fast forward to today and it is a major tourist spot night and day,

Just a reminder that things don't remain the same forever.

Keith

Very true, Keith. I remember being in Times Square for New Year's in 1980 with the Guardian Angels patrolling and now it's like Disneyland!! I've had family in Manhattan for 30+ years and we have watched quite a transformation (good and bad). :)