Nice not so pricey hotels in Miami w/Shuttles

Alexv500

Hi all! Currently planning my first Caribbean cruise for March. We will be flying in the day before from LAX and will probably be arriving in the afternoon. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good hotels that aren't too expensive that include an airport shuttle and maybe even a shuttle to the port of Miami? We also want to explore a little bit of Miami such as the beach and downtown, anyone know of ways to get to downtown and the beach?? This would be my first time in Miami and first time on the east coast. Also any things to do post-cruise, our flight wouldn't be leaving till around 5PM so what's there to do?? Any tips and suggestions would also be greatly appreciated!

thanks again! :)

Edited by Alexv500

If you didn't say the beach or downtown I would have said just stay near the airport.

My recommendation is not to limit yourself to a hotel with a shuttle. Taxi rates are reasonable and in the end you pay for the shuttle in terms of the hotel fare and they are not the most convenient.

Take a look at Hampton Inn. The taxi from the airport to the Hotel will be around $25.00. From the hotel to the Port around $12.00.

But you will get a nice breakfast that is included that will offset most of the cost.

You will be downtown and near Mary Brickell Village with lots of shops and restaurants.

If you do want to go to the Beach you could taxi over to South Beach which is around $28.00.

If you've never been to Miami before, I HIGHLY suggest you stay in South Beach. Forget about a shuttle as it will limit you even though some South Beach hotels do have shuttles.

You can get the airport express flyer for $2.85 a person to get to the beach and cab it to the port the next day.

I don't know what your idea of "not too expensive is" but know that EVERYTHING in South Florida will be expensive in March. It is peak season. Plan on spending about $200 a night booking conventionally and about $125 booking off hotwire which I highly recommend.

Airport hotels may be a little bit cheaper but transportation and/or parking costs will quickly eat up any savings.

I am booked at the Red Roof Inn. First time staying there so not sure how it is HOWEVER it appears that they have a airport shuttle AND a shuttle to the port included. Rate is $90 per night. Hopefully it will be OK for a one nighter.

These are reviews from Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34438-d85005-Reviews-Red_Roof_Plus_Miami_Airport-Miami_Florida.html

Keith

I am booked at the Red Roof Inn. First time staying there so not sure how it is HOWEVER it appears that they have a airport shuttle AND a shuttle to the port included. Rate is $90 per night. Hopefully it will be OK for a one nighter.

As long as you double bolt your door and don't step outside the front door after dark. I would never stay there.

Okay, I just checked out your roll call and you need a hotel for the night of September 13? CANCEL your reservation with the Red Roof Inn.

There is a 4 1/2 star downtown for $85. Also check out Last Minute Travel and you should be able to get the Intercontinental downtown for less than the RRI.

There is a 4 star South Beach for $66.

That would just be a horrible way to start your vacation.

Edited by BlueHerons

As long as you double bolt your door and don't step outside the front door after dark. I would never stay there.

Okay, I just checked out your roll call and you need a hotel for the night of September 13? CANCEL your reservation with the Red Roof Inn.

There is a 4 1/2 star downtown for $85. Also check out Last Minute Travel and you should be able to get the Intercontinental downtown for less than the RRI.

There is a 4 star South Beach for $66.

That would just be a horrible way to start your vacation.

I am also cruising in March and the hotel prices are through the roof! So I am staying at the Red Roof Plus for $168. If you can find me a better hotel for less than that, I'm listening. I need it for March 11. The downtown hotels are mostly over $350 a night.

Thanks for the info. My head gets dizzy and my eye starts twitching (he he)thinking I have to start all over again!! but I will because sounds like you know what you are talking about. I choose RRI because we need(myself and my sister-in law) shuttle from the airport and then to the port. We are traveling on a budget-well actually a show string-and was looking for something really cheap. BUT not at the expensive of our safety or cleanliness. South beach?

Thanks for the info. My head gets dizzy and my eye starts twitching (he he)thinking I have to start all over again!! but I will because sounds like you know what you are talking about. I choose RRI because we need(myself and my sister-in law) shuttle from the airport and then to the port. We are traveling on a budget-well actually a show string-and was looking for something really cheap. BUT not at the expensive of our safety or cleanliness. South beach?

All the reviews I have read say the hotel is very clean. You would only have to worry if you were walking in the neighborhood at night. I for one don't plan on doing that. I also will not have a car that could be broken into. If you are on a budget IMO this is your best choice. If you find anything better, please let us know.

The people on here that are giving you advice are frequent posters who are very familiar with Miami and surrounding area. Their recommendations are always spot on! Trust me.... Miami is NOT a place you want to be in the wrong area!

I would advise that you take their advice seriously or travel at your own risk. :eek:

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to try and find a nice and safe place to be at! Miami seems like such a magnificent city, but like every big city, it also has its not so safe areas. We might be looking into possibly An Airbnb place for the night, sometimes those come out cheaper than staying at a hotel! Definitely want to be near the beach

MIAMI, the downtown area, no beach, just hookers and druggies. Miami Beach, the long thin barrier island with hotels of all kinds and the BEACH.South Beach, main tourist area from 1st-26th Streets m/l .CruisePort is parallel to 5th street. As a former female resident please listen to the cautions of veteran posters here. They do have an excellent bus system and the Airport Flyer from MIA to S.Beach is excellent. Look up good transportation site. They used to have an 800# also. Forgot hotels. Bunch of old deco funky ones on South Beach. No shuttles but close to port. Trip Advisor.com great for these.

Edited by zoncom

Go to http://www.Hotwire.com and book a three star or higher in South Beach, Downtown, Brickell, Coconut Grove, or Coral Gables.

I saw four and four and a half star hotels for cheaper than what the RRI is running.

If you book South Beach, you can take the airport flyer from the airport for $2.85 per person.

I am also cruising in March and the hotel prices are through the roof! So I am staying at the Red Roof Plus for $168. If you can find me a better hotel for less than that, I'm listening. I need it for March 11. The downtown hotels are mostly over $350 a night.

Go to hotwire and there is a 3 1/2 star downtown for $157. Look for Free Internet, Fitness Center, Pools, Restaurants, Business Center, Self Service Laundry.

There are also tons of other ones in South Beach or downtown under what you are paying.

Also look in Brickell, Coconut Grove, and Coral Gables.

DO NOT book airport, Kendall, Hialeah because they are crappy locations. Do not book Miami Beach, North Beach, Doral because transportation costs could get expensive.

Also, Pussywillow and PamelaHeidi, go to Last Minute Travel Club (someone can tell you how to get a free membership but I forget) and search your dates.

The Intercontinental downtown is cheaper for each of your rates than what you have at the airport. Cab ride is cheap to port.

http://www.LMTClub.com

Also, Pussywillow and PamelaHeidi, go to Last Minute Travel Club (someone can tell you how to get a free membership but I forget) and search your dates.

The Intercontinental downtown is cheaper for each of your rates than what you have at the airport. Cab ride is cheap to port.

http://www.LMTClub.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I have never used a third party to book a hotel.