Choose between the two to Alaska

frostypenguin

We chose Coral southbound last month and had a great time, ship and crew were wonderful. Might have been the best cruise we have ever taken. We did the land portion first which worked out well. Don't think you'll be disappointed no matter what your choice.

I am on the 6/5/2006 sailing of the Island Princess. It is a southbound from Whittier to Vancouver. I don't think the Island and Coral will be doing RT next year. I am looking forward to a smaller ship and have read many good reviews of both the Coral and Island. After sailing the Carnival Glory and mingling with 3400 people I think I will enjoy less than 2000 on board! Good luck with your decision.

Go to Princess.com and you will see the routes etc. You can also check out the size of the ships as well.

At a quick glance I note for 2006 the Sapphire, Coral, Diamond and Island are doing one ways.

The Dawn and Sun are doing RT Seattle.

Thanks for all the responses - I have checked the princess website and I am aware of the changes but since we are undecided still I wanted to get further feedback on the individual ships (pros/cons) so no matter what route we decide we could figure out which of the two ships per route is the better.

Thanks again :)

I know there are so many factors to consider when booking an Alaska cruise! We just returned 9/13 and had a wonderful trip on NCL Dream. We sailed RT out of Seattle and were very lucky to sail the inside passage both ways. It looks like Princess Sun and Dawn RT Seattle sail outside both ways. You will miss scenic sailing with this route. ..just wanted to point that out in case that is important to you.

We were just on the Island and loved it! On decks 11 & 10 there is a wonderful huge balcony in the back (aft) of the ship! Totally covered and huge! We spent all our time back there....no crowds at all to fight. I would suggest saving big bucks by getting a inside cabin near this aft balcony and use it as your balcony. That's what we did and LOVED IT! We were in B724 on Baja Deck. Used our savings to go on great excursions. Good luck!

Archived