Holland America Now Going to Hubbard????

sophiegracie

I noticed when looking at options for next year (as we STILL have nothing booked as we STILL cannot decide :confused:) that Holland America is no longer going to Tracy Arm on one of their R/T Seattle options....instead they are going to Hubbard Glacier. Any ideas or rumors on why they made that decision? I am interested in that cruise but worry they may move back to Tracy Arm if there is not enough interest in the Hubbard Glacier version. Has anyone heard anything about this move?

Tracy Arm is a lovely fjord experience, with the possibility of seeing a tidewater glacier. Going to Hubbard Glacier is essentially a sure thing to see a glacier - and a huge one at that. While we've always enjoyed Tracy Arm, if I had to choose between one or the other there isn't a contest. Hubbard Glacier, hands down.

I can't speak for HAL's reasoning, but I'd never recommend a cruise to a friend where the only chance to see a tidewater glacier from the ship would be Tracy Arm.

Edited by Mary Ellen

For most people - Hubbard Glacier is probably higher on a priority list and one is more likely to see the glacier by going to Hubbard Glacier over Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glaicer. Tracy Arm is missed quite often.

Hubbard is a very very impressive glacier but there is still no guarantee of getting close. My last three visits we got within 9 miles, 5 miles and then this year were fogged out and totally skipped it. If you get close it can be fantastic. Not sure why but I would say my closest approaches were 15-20 years ago.

I have never gotten close to South Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm in a dozen or so trips to Tracy Arm on the cruise ship and always do the small boat trip from Juneau with Adventure Bound.

I've had quite a few, "lacking" Hubbard Glacier experiences recently. So, thinking that Mary Ellen's claim is a given is far from fact. An example- Over the last 3 years, I've sailed Hubbard several times- about HALF, had the ship 10 miles+ out at the turn around point. Having been there numerous times- with closer viewing- there are NO guarantees.

The 99% guarantee- is Glacier Bay. I've never known ships not to have the ability to transit the Tar Inlet.

The reason I said "essentially a sure thing" is because it isn't a sure thing. I believe it was 2002 that ships couldn't get near Hubbard as it had created an ice dam blocking a nearby inlet. That dam was going to break at some point, releasing a torrent of water and ice. No ship wanted to be in the way of that.

We've had a pitiful record trying to see the Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm. One is going to see glacier more at Hubbard ten miles out than at even 5 miles out at Tracy Arm. To me it is, as I said earlier, a lovely fjord experience - with the possibility of seeing glaciers.

The OP concerns dealt with Hubbard vs. Tracy Arm. I limited my opinion to those locations. ;)

On one of our cruises to Glacier Bay the park rangers weren't able to safely board our ship. From my experience I wouldn't even say that is a sure thing. Much better odds there than the others though.

The reason I said "essentially a sure thing" is because it isn't a sure thing. I believe it was 2002 that ships couldn't get near Hubbard as it had created an ice dam blocking a nearby inlet. That dam was going to break at some point, releasing a torrent of water and ice. No ship wanted to be in the way of that.

We've had a pitiful record trying to see the Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm. One is going to see glacier more at Hubbard ten miles out than at even 5 miles out at Tracy Arm. To me it is, as I said earlier, a lovely fjord experience - with the possibility of seeing glaciers.

The OP concerns dealt with Hubbard vs. Tracy Arm. I limited my opinion to those locations. ;)

On one of our cruises to Glacier Bay the park rangers weren't able to safely board our ship. From my experience I wouldn't even say that is a sure thing. Much better odds there than the others though.

It was 2002 (for Hubbard) and I was there in July. We got 9 miles from Hubbard Glacier. You could barely see the glacier. Thankfully next time, we got pretty close.

I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x and not seen the glaciers once. 2x diverted to Endicott Arm, once skipped it all together and once (on a small boat) we had a beautiful day but didn't have enough time to make it through the ice.

I think the chance of seeing Hubbard is greater than Sawyer Glaciers/Tracy Arm but if you want to see glaciers, I would do Glacier Bay.