Cruising with an autistic child

kitten3008

I have worked my whole life supporting individuals who have been diagnosed with Autism. Each individual responds differently to stressful situations. The one thing that I have found to always be true is how the people who are supporting these wonderful individuals respond to these stressful situations affect the individuals.

I am so happy to read that so many parents take their children who are diagnosed with autism on cruises. I can see only benefits to cruising as it allows lots of choices and easy to change venues that offer entertainment.

As I do not know your child and can not given advise based on knowledge of your child I can only offer my congratulations on taking on a trip like this. Items that generally reduce stress are weight, favorite fidget toys, head phones, music etc as well as a hat.

The fact that you are preparing for your trip by asking others for advise makes me believe that you will be able to navigate through this experience and make it a successful trip for your family.

I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their stories.

I don't have kids and I tend to have a short fuse when it comes to other people's kids... especially when they're fidgety or fussy.

But now I'll try to be more patient and take into consideration that some kids need a little more understanding. All these stories have helped me realize that every situation is not as black and white as it seems. (Not all parents have "Precious Snowflake Syndrome"). [emoji14]

Thanks!

This. Exactly this. This entire thread has caused me to reevaluate how I think about kids who appear to be unruly. Thank you everyone for an education and a new way to enjoy my vacation knowing how others need to enjoy theirs.

--Michael

I shared this thread with my mom - who doesn't peruse CC, and who will be going on her first cruise this February! - and she cried. I've cried. We're all so thankful for the information, the stories, the education, and the laughs. Thanks everyone again for sharing with us, we feel much better prepared and we are so excited to take this adventure!

Hey everyone! First of all, I am sure this post will end up with people making a ton of "special snowflake" comments and that's fine, I have a thick skin. :)

My question is, does anyone have any experience dealing with NCL's accessabilities department in regards to sailing with autistic children? Specifically, my 8 year old son struggles with noise and crowds in general. Why take him on a cruise, you ask? Because he is 8 years old, and he deserves a vacation, and because ultimately, while on the ship, I have a lot of control on whether or not to take him certain places at certain times. A cruise is perfect, because so much is included in the fare. I'm not paying a ton of money to go see a show that it turns out he's having a bad day and can't handle, we can just choose to leave if something becomes too much for him.

I am not requesting any sort of preferential treatment during the duration of the cruise, my curiosity runs toward embarkation. I have seen the occasional post about early boarding for special needs, and the occasional inclusion of individuals with autism being included on that list. I am obviously going to call NCL and speak with them on this topic, but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with this. Thanks!

I have a eleven year old autistic daughter who also has trouble with noise and crowds we use head phones for the noose like I said she is eleven and had been on at least eight cruises NCL is by far the best PLEASE contact the cruise line and use the special access officer they are wonderful priority embarkation to priority tendering they are wonderful. Also if you do great styrup Kay get a cabana

I am really pleased to see that the vast majority of comments have supportive, educational and helpful. I worked with autistic kids in the early 70's and again in the 90's. It is truly exciting to see how far the interventions have come. I have been on several cruises with AOTS and except for the brightly colored t shirts I would have had no idea that there was any kind group on board.

I would rather have your "on the spectrum" kids next to me at dinner than a drunk or a self proclaimed chair hog.

Have a great time on your cruise.

I am really pleased to see that the vast majority of comments have supportive, educational and helpful. I worked with autistic kids in the early 70's and again in the 90's. It is truly exciting to see how far the interventions have come. I have been on several cruises with AOTS and except for the brightly colored t shirts I would have had no idea that there was any kind group on board.

I would rather have your "on the spectrum" kids next to me at dinner than a drunk or a self proclaimed chair hog.

Have a great time on your cruise.

I need a like button

I hope all parents of special needs children in general and asd in particular have as wonderful cruise with your children as my wife and I have had with our children. The cruises we have taken our son on have all been wonderful experiences and just as is the case in all things in our lives, its is just a little different experience than some other families have. Not better or worse. Just have a great time and make special memories with your children.

I hope all parents of special needs children in general and asd in particular have as wonderful cruise with your children as my wife and I have had with our children. The cruises we have taken our son on have all been wonderful experiences and just as is the case in all things in our lives, its is just a little different experience than some other families have. Not better or worse. Just have a great time and make special memories with your children.

Wow, beautifully worded[emoji41].

I have a relative with an autistic older child and the entire family did a family cruise in Alaska on Princess and everyone enjoyed seeing the special needs person excited to see the wonders of Alaska and the wildlife... enjoy your cruise

We have done 2 cruises with our non verbal autistic son...most recently Alaska. We will be taking him back to the Caribbean in Feb.

As the others have said, contact the access desk.

They gave us a phone number to call at the pier and we had a private check in and whisked,on the ship. Even more intimate than the usual suite check in.

The kids club knew about him and he had nearly 1 on 1 attention in the kids club, however, this was a low volume sailing.

The kids club very politely let us know when would be slower and less organized times for him to go. By day 2, he ran to the kids club to play. They were outstanding.

They also had sensory activities designed just for him. Always made us feel welcome.

I think NCL handled the spectrum perfectly, or as perfectly as possible.

We do stay in suites to dine in the cabin if need be...and have "help" from the butler should we need special snacks etc.

We also let the maitre d know. He made sure we had private tables away from others and the noisy kitchen no matter where we dined.

I always enjoy stories like this. With all the craziness going on in the world these days, it's reassuring to know human kindness and compassion still exits when needed[emoji6]

I always enjoy stories like this. With all the craziness going on in the world these days, it's reassuring to know human kindness and compassion still exits when needed[emoji6]

They were so great. We already have another cruise planned with the whole family.

As soon as we booked, the access desk emailed us. Don't know if it is set up in their system to flag or something.

Really personalized attention.

My honestly favorite part of all of it was when we were in port and the kids club staff called out to us (my son specifically by name) and genuinely enjoyed hanging out with us in port...ON THEIR DAY OFF!

Despite all the changes with NCL, this will keep us there. FDR or Kevin...treat my kids well and respect them...you got my business.

Hey everyone! First of all, I am sure this post will end up with people making a ton of "special snowflake" comments and that's fine, I have a thick skin. :)

My question is, does anyone have any experience dealing with NCL's accessabilities department in regards to sailing with autistic children? Specifically, my 8 year old son struggles with noise and crowds in general. Why take him on a cruise, you ask? Because he is 8 years old, and he deserves a vacation, and because ultimately, while on the ship, I have a lot of control on whether or not to take him certain places at certain times. A cruise is perfect, because so much is included in the fare. I'm not paying a ton of money to go see a show that it turns out he's having a bad day and can't handle, we can just choose to leave if something becomes too much for him.

I am not requesting any sort of preferential treatment during the duration of the cruise, my curiosity runs toward embarkation. I have seen the occasional post about early boarding for special needs, and the occasional inclusion of individuals with autism being included on that list. I am obviously going to call NCL and speak with them on this topic, but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with this. Thanks!

Please post back after you come home from your cruise. We'd love to hear from you how everything went. Safe travels to you and many happy memories!

This video is from our group, Blue Skyes over Autism, when we visited our peers in the Bahamas. We sailed with Autism Adventure Travel onboard the Carnival Magic. There were 19 Autism Families in our group on this cruise. We will have at least 32 Autism Families in April 2016.

Edited by Texas4808

One of my kids has sensory issues, though he is not autistic. He is very sensitive to loud noises and crowds. He is 11 now and it has certainly mellowed as he has gotten older, but as a toddler, he was very upset by the coffee grinder, the vacuum cleaner, or the sound of public toilets flushing. As a first grader, the sound of the HVAC system in his classroom would completely shut him down so he couldn't focus on his work. Now, at age 11, big crowded situations just seem to drain him. He can deal with them, but it is not his favorite way to spend his time.

I would say kids with extreme sensory sensitivity should avoid the kids' club, and that goes for any kids' club on any cruise line. They are all loud and unstructured, with people coming and going all the time. Honestly just hanging out there for ten minutes waiting to pick up my daughter put ME in a bad mood! My son has been on five cruises now. He has tried the kids' club a few times and just didn't like it. Fortunately he is a quiet kid and likes to hang out and read, play Scrabble or listen to music with us. And he LOVES cruising. His first cruise was in second grade, and he came back and typed a nine-page story about his trip when he got back.

Just something to think about. I don't know if you were planning to put your son in kids' club or not, but in case you were, maybe have some quiet backup activities planned in case the chaos in kids club is too much for him.

We are going to play the kids' club by ear; I've been in contact with NCL now, and they have been nothing short of amazing and kind. Our accessibility coordinator on the ship is going to get with us once on board regarding the club schedule (so that we may be able to select only the times there are activities he may enjoy, or quiet, less structured times where he can keep to himself without being a hinderance), as well as allow us a chance to look over scheduled family activities ahead of time to see if there is anything he might enjoy that they could arrange a quiet or private time for him to have those opportunities.

Honestly, when I contacted them I only asked about being able to board apart from the crowds, and if it were possible to have a private muster drill, as the noise and crowds will be much too much for him. NCL has literally blown us away with their kindness and hospitality. We aren't likely to take advantage of much - my kiddo is much more apt to want to read or be in the water than to partake in actual guided activities - but just knowing if there is one or two special things he seems to actually be interested in, that we might be able to give him that... it's more than I could have ever asked for.

We will DEFINITELY be posting a review of this cruise because I absolutely cannot believe the valuable information and the incredible stories that have been shared here, and if we can put one more resource out there for people to stumble upon, we will be so much more than happy to do so. My confidence in this being an amazing, unforgettable experience has skyrocketed. My mother is fairly young but in poor health; I can't wait to share this experience with her and our special little monkey boy.

Edited by kitten3008

Thank you for sharing your stories and tips - so helpful and heartwarming. My son is 6, missing just a bit of one chromosome, and "somewhere on the spectrum" per his geneticist - to us...he's just our amazing son who has some language and developmental challenges that he works every day to overcome.

Not everyone in the world enjoys quirky and unpredictable, but I have found to my amazement on each of our three cruises, the majority of cruisers seem unfazed by children or adults with special needs. Ro has had some extraordinary experiences on Disney and NCL, marred only by one bad interaction on the Gem - lovely staff in the Kid's Club, but there are no "alternative" activities for kids who do not wish to play in groups or have programmed activities, which led to him not enjoying his time at all (and a few fantastically loud tantrums which I am sure everyone in the aft of the ship heard!). The Gem also tried to give us another child when "Ro's brother was having a bad day" - We only have one child, so....after that, no more Kids' Club for us, as we were concerned about safety. We were lucky enough to upgrade to a suite, and the staff took care of all of his needs, made him feel special and brought him treats every day - concierge and all of the staff knew him by name and were absolutely wonderful.

Chose the RCL Anthem for 2 reasons - the Autism on the Seas endorsement, and the idea of a Kids' Club that can tailor his activities to his needs. We are hopeful that the size of the ship (twice what we are used to) does not overwhelm him, or us for that matter, and are not in a suite, so will take advantage of the room service option if needed. Am willing to give NCL a second chance after reading the above reviews, but am hopeful that RCL and our Celebrity cruise after that will meet our high expectations.

Thank you to all for making my spirits high before a long night at work! ~Amy

We are going to play the kids' club by ear; I've been in contact with NCL now, and they have been nothing short of amazing and kind. Our accessibility coordinator on the ship is going to get with us once on board regarding the club schedule (so that we may be able to select only the times there are activities he may enjoy, or quiet, less structured times where he can keep to himself without being a hinderance), as well as allow us a chance to look over scheduled family activities ahead of time to see if there is anything he might enjoy that they could arrange a quiet or private time for him to have those opportunities.

Honestly, when I contacted them I only asked about being able to board apart from the crowds, and if it were possible to have a private muster drill, as the noise and crowds will be much too much for him. NCL has literally blown us away with their kindness and hospitality. We aren't likely to take advantage of much - my kiddo is much more apt to want to read or be in the water than to partake in actual guided activities - but just knowing if there is one or two special things he seems to actually be interested in, that we might be able to give him that... it's more than I could have ever asked for.

We will DEFINITELY be posting a review of this cruise because I absolutely cannot believe the valuable information and the incredible stories that have been shared here, and if we can put one more resource out there for people to stumble upon, we will be so much more than happy to do so. My confidence in this being an amazing, unforgettable experience has skyrocketed. My mother is fairly young but in poor health; I can't wait to share this experience with her and our special little monkey boy.

How did you contact them and how long did it take to arrange this? I have been waiting for almost a monthe with no response. Not sure if they will reach out to me or just make the arrangements I requested. I will shoot them another email- just wondering what the typical response is.

How did you contact them and how long did it take to arrange this? I have been waiting for almost a monthe with no response. Not sure if they will reach out to me or just make the arrangements I requested. I will shoot them another email- just wondering what the typical response is.

We were waiting as well for contact with the accessibility desk for our cruise. There was a slight hiccup between my hubby telling the TA and the TA emailing the access desk (it broke down somewhere with either us or them and I don't care about pointing , I just want it done and off my check list [emoji1] ) BUT I also was given the number to call so I can make sure that they are contacted. I was also told that DS is put in according to his physical age, not his emotional age just so that was clear up front. I was also told that I would be talking to the staff in the kids area as they will be the ones directly dealing with him. I'm very lucky that my child is high functioning and has had some great teachers and aides to help him recognize when he needs to take a break (and even what to do when he has his "moments").

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

-pj

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I emailed the access desk on a Friday and received a reply by Tuesday. I was very clear about what it was that I was hoping to receive help with, did mention cruise critic, and told them a little bit about my son. I would say if you have not received a reply to email again or to call, there's always a chance it got lost in cyber space!

• 3 years later...

I am so thankful for this thread.

Yes, I know I am years behind but it came up on my Google search.

We are cruising next month on NCL with our soon to be 5 year old.  He was recently diagnosed as ASD. 

We cruised with him 2 years ago.  That went pretty well.  Of course, he was still nursing so that was his go-to calming tool and it was always available for him.  This time I've been concerned.  I have already reached out to the Access Desk and have the help of our travel agent (who happens to be my mother).

This post has helped to give me positive hope and I really appreciate it.

• 4 years later...
On 8/21/2015 at 12:55 PM, kitten3008 said:

Thank you all so much for your kind words and ideas! You really have no idea how much it is appreciated. My son is a brilliant, sweet kid and he is SO excited about his first "big" vacation.

My husband and I have sailed in an aft facing balcony, and while I loved it, a balcony with my monkey child seems like a terrifying idea. He tries to climb out of ferris wheels, lol! I'm not too worried about meals as he LOVES going out to eat and we can avoid the buffet during peak times, no problem! ZandZ made an interesting point about HIPAA, which makes me want to do a little digging. Lord knows I am tired of explaining to nasty strangers that while my 8 year old is the size of a 12 year old, he functions like a 4 year old 😛

Later boarding is certainly an option, and not one that is completely off the table. My husband is pretty dead set on boarding as early as possible - obviously DS comes first but still, lol - as in his opinion, we paid for that day and should start enjoying it as early as possible. 😉

ZandZ - I think it's awful that anyone should have to justify how they parent to anyone else, but it's definitely a nasty habit of mine. So many people have an idea in their head of what autism is, and think they know exactly what I'm doing wrong, lol. My kiddo is most looking forward to going to a comedy show (despite my dislike of Second City, ha!), because his dream right now is to "be a professional joke teller and make all the sad people smile again". I must not be doing everything wrong!

Also! Thank you for for the info on the Florida park; that's something I've wondered about in the past!

Hi, I know this is a really old post, but I am curious how your NCL cruise went with your son?  We are looking for connecting rooms as our child has a very specific night time routine and needs his quiet space to wind down with lots of rituals.  Trying to get through to NCL to ask if three people are allowed to book connecting rooms has been quite difficult.  Was wondering what type of cabin you all had.  Most of the balcony staterooms accommodate four people, but we definitely need a separate room.  Thanks!