Port Everglades Question

sarahleebones

When entering the port, does the guy in the kiosk ask for your papers? I'd like to surprise a friend with a cruise and don't want the dude to blow it by saying "Oh, you're going on the Allure of the Seas"...etc.

Ideally, I'd just like to say we are going to check out the ships and then take our luggage when we pull up.

No cruise papers needed. But an i.d. People pick up/drop off friends all the time.

Umm...if you (the driver) say you are just dropping someone off the man at the security booth will certainly ask you which ship. And when you tell them they will ask to see a boarding pass. There is no such thing as "just looking around" Port Everglades.

Umm...if you (the driver) say you are just dropping someone off the man at the security booth will certainly ask you which ship. And when you tell them they will ask to see a boarding pass. There is no such thing as "just looking around" Port Everglades.

This has been our experience too whether we arrive by taxi or car being dropped off by friends or intending to park in the garage. When friends pick us up they need to provide ID and tell the security checkpoint staff which ship they are meeting.

From 2 different pages of the Port Everglades website:

• Bring government-issued photo ID. Anyone18-years-old and older must produce a government-issued photo ID at the security checkpoint.
  • Keep identification and cruise documents handy. Put them in your carry-on bag. Do not pack them in your luggage. You will need to produce these documents several times before boarding your ship. (http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/arriving-and-departing/)

While pulling up to the ship and telling your companion "oh by the way, we were going on that right now" sounds like a really nice thing to do, I don't think it's very practical at Port Everglades. As said, they aren't going to let you drive in just to look around. The best bet you have is to put a note inside your passport for the guard that says something like "trying to surprise person in passenger seat with cruise, please help keep the surprise" or something. Hand them your passport first and then kind of fumble around looking for the other one to give the guard a chance to read the note. Not saying it will work, but short of telling them at the hotel that morning or something, that is about the only way.

Edited by DanJ

I misread your post. Sorry. missed this "surprise" thing you are planning. We have had friends pick us up a couple times and they said they just had to show i.d. and tell the name of the ship they were meeting.

As the others said, you can't really just say you want to look around. I'd expect your friend would be aware and prepared for the cruise before the day of. :confused: I sure wouldn't be able to just pick up and leave without planning ahead.

Edited by eandj

While pulling up to the ship and telling your companion "oh by the way, we were going on that right now" sounds like a really nice thing to do, I don't think it's very practical at Port Everglades. As said, they aren't going to let you drive in just to look around. The best bet you have is to put a note inside your passport for the guard that says something like "trying to surprise person in passenger seat with cruise, please help keep the surprise" or something. Hand them your passport first and then kind of fumble around looking for the other one to give the guard a chance to read the note. Not saying it will work, but short of telling them at the hotel that morning or something, that is about the only way.

Good plan! Will do. She will know we are going on a cruise, however, she'll think we are doing a cheapo 4 day. This will be her first cruise. We will be arriving by cab. I was planning on doing up a note for the driver (just in case I don't have a chance to talk privately). I'll also do one up for the kiosk guy. I like the idea of the "fumble" to give him time to read the note in the first passport. Thanks for the tip!

Really and truly, she's a bit clueless so I could say "Allure Pier 18" and she would have no idea - she'd think it's the name of the pier. She knows I travel a lot so just follows my lead and leaves everything up to me. And if you are wondering how I will get her to pack enough....remember CLUELESS. I'll just tell her she needs to pack more than normal as you change more frequently on a cruise - I'll give her a list and she will pack it no questions asked. She will just think it's the norm.

If you are wondering why all the trouble if she already will know it's a cruise - I know she is dying to go on the Oasis as her neighbor was going on and on and on about it and in turn went on and on and on about how cool the ship sounded to me. "Yes, Deb, I know there's a zipline....yes I know about the surfing....and the rock wall and the Central Park and the Board Walk and yes I know about the ice shows." But she knows it's not an option as she's only given me a 5 day window of time over her birthday. But I've arranged it through her husband and work so it's all good. Just the look on her face when she realizes were going on (basically) her dream ship will be priceless.

I've never been asked for cruise papers at the security gate, just photo IDs. They do ask you which ship, so they can give you directions and the number of the terminal. They give you something to hang from your rear view mirror and I wonder if they write the terminal number on it. You could say "We're going on a cruise. Terminal 18", and hope they don't ask if you are going on Allure. The note in your passport could say "My friend thinks we are going on ____________. I'm surprising her". I guess you are asking your friend for her info so you can complete the online registration/set sail passes yourself.