Shopping in the British Isles

cmpaula

I did a search for this before posting and didn't find what I was looking for....sorry if this has been answered before!

Is there a list of "must buy" items while cruising the British Isles? There is a wonderful thread on Mediterranean Cruise shopping but I can't find one for the UK.

Can anyone help?

I've not seen a "must buy" for the British Isles. Keep in mind that almost everything in the UK will be more to much more expensive than the same item in the United States, unlike large parts of the Mediterranean. That kind of makes your question more complicated. In fact, you can actually buy men's shirts from Jermyn Street for less money, even accounting for shipping, in the US than the same item would cost in the UK!

For nice but not horribly expensive, I'd probably look at tea and Cadbury or Thornton's chocolates. But your best deals will probably be at Heathrow on the way out... Fortnum and Mason, for instance, is available in the United States, but there's a good to very good selection at duty free.

Mid-range is largely wool products from Scotland (I'm assuming you really mean UK; Ireland also makes wool products). Sweaters, scarves, Harris Tweed, etc., but again, they may be less expensive to simply buy them in the US...

More expensive is where my wife kept me from blowing a good, enjoyable couple of hours (and more than a few Pounds Sterling) in the Edward Green boutique on Jermyn Street... (Edward Green and Churches are among the nicest, and most expensive, men's shoes in the world.) Even more expensive is Saville Row, but they won't rush perfection and you wouldn't have time for the fittings. Maybe a tie!

Of course, my personal favorite, if you have a direct flight to the states, is the nectar produced in the northern extremes of the UK. A nice liter of whisky almost always finds its way into my bag at Heathrow. One of these days I'll remember to order something ahead of time that they don't normally stock...

I did a search for this before posting and didn't find what I was looking for....sorry if this has been answered before!

Is there a list of "must buy" items while cruising the British Isles? There is a wonderful thread on Mediterranean Cruise shopping but I can't find one for the UK.

Can anyone help?

Penhaligon -- at least I think that's the spelling -- is a very old and pretigous line of fragrances for both men and women.

Any product which has a royal warrant (permission to announce the the manufacturer provides "x" product to a royal). My personal bring a smile to your face royal warrant holder: Rigby and Peller, corsetiers to the queen. Located on one of the side streets alongside Harrods. Google royal warrant and your royal of choice.

I don't know what kind of things you are interested in, but whenever I visit the UK, the shops I make a beeline for are Marks & Spencers and Boots for their No 7 cosmetics (especially the Perfect and Protect serum).

I purchased a hat a few years ago and it wasn't this color but will give you an idea. I like to use it when we are out in cooler weather.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0LEV2AQqNlVrzQA5WRXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC10LTI1NARncHJpZAM1aEkuYUxNRlF5bVpVbG1CanV3X2NBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMwBG9yaWdpbgNzZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMwBHBxc3RyAwRwcXN0cmwDBHFzdHJsAzI5BHF1ZXJ5A1Bob3RvcyBvZiBNZW4ncyBTY290dGlzaCBIYXRzBHRfc3RtcAMxNDQwMzI3NzEy?p=Photos+of+Men%27s+Scottish+Hats&fr2=sb-top-search&fr=yfp-t-254&fp=1

I am a Beatles Fan so when we did tours in both London and Liverpool involving the Beatles I purchased some items such as shirts.

For the Grand Children we purchased Paddington Bears and for our own children some items including tote bags for the ladies.

Keith

On our recent trip of the British Isles, both an extended road trip and cruise, shopping wasn't a priority, but we did pick up a number of items for posterity to remember a wonderful trip.

In London, while walking around Hyde Park, it began to rain - we had an umbrella from the hotel, but stopped at Kensington Palace and picked up a royal one there, along with a unique Christmas tree ornament. In Canterbury we stopped at a pottery shop across from the Cathedral, picked up a few items. In Bath, we found the glass blowing factory and purchased a bowl and vases for ourselves and house sitter, and a martini glass. We did hit a few fudge shops, but those items never made it beyond the next few days.

In Wales, we picked up books about the places/castles/rail trip we visited and I did manage to buy a light-weight scarf in a shop in Cardiff.

After returning to England, and a stop in Salisbury, we headed west to Cornwall. One day we went to Eden Project and bought bamboo coasters, coffee cup made entirely of bamboo, a few local berry preserves, wine [we drank that], and DH bought a bamboo polo [was over priced IMO], but it's vacation time.

As we eventually headed east along the coast, we stopped in Plymouth and did the gin mill tour - yes, a few nips and another martini glass. When we visited small villages, we found local art shops and purchased a few inexpensive water colors of nearby historic sites [framed $$$ once we got home]. There were a few interesting shops in New forest, but we avoided buying for the sake of buying more stuff.

On Guernsey, we bought a local preserve and an "occupation" coaster. Our largest purchases were in Ireland - with DH leading the way to the Blarney Woolen Mill - sweaters, nice scarf or two, a winter hat for myself, and enough $$$ to qualify for free shipping back to the States. In Scotland, we picked up a few ancestry books, and shot glasses, coasters and sample nips from the various distilleries.

In France, we bought D-day items, and a t-shirt [my gym attire]. Post cruise, a stop at Stonehenge and another t-shirt and a coffee mug.

Once at LHR, we had an early dinner and then went through security and headed to the lower level [T-5] where DH bought 2 Sheridan's and I picked up another t-shirt, fudge, preserves, tea and chocolates. Harrod's at LHR prices were out of sight.

Checking cosmetic prices at LHR, Estee items were cheaper on the ship. Boots products are sold at Target in the USA, and are much, much less costly at home.

On the return flight, we arrived at the LHR with an almost empty carry-on knowing there would be last minute shopping, but we then had one extra piece of luggage to check. I didn't want to factor in that added cost.

I used to go nuts with shopping when we traveled, now I focus on the places we visit and appreciate the history and culture.

We've been to Europe a number of times, so the novelty of "must buy" has diminished for us.

Darcy

Most museums and attractions have shops. In some of them you can find some nice pieces of jewellery made by local artists.

I normally don't bother with souvenir tat. I like to get a fridge magnet and sometimes something I need and will use. For instance on a recent visit to Dublin I bough an oven glove and tea towel, both things I needed.

On our recent trip of the British Isles, both an extended road trip and cruise, shopping wasn't a priority, but we did pick up a number of items for posterity to remember a wonderful trip.

In London, while walking around Hyde Park, it began to rain - we had an umbrella from the hotel, but stopped at Kensington Palace and picked up a royal one there, along with a unique Christmas tree ornament. In Canterbury we stopped at a pottery shop across from the Cathedral, picked up a few items. In Bath, we found the glass blowing factory and purchased a bowl and vases for ourselves and house sitter, and a martini glass. We did hit a few fudge shops, but those items never made it beyond the next few days.

In Wales, we picked up books about the places/castles/rail trip we visited and I did manage to buy a light-weight scarf in a shop in Cardiff.

After returning to England, and a stop in Salisbury, we headed west to Cornwall. One day we went to Eden Project and bought bamboo coasters, coffee cup made entirely of bamboo, a few local berry preserves, wine [we drank that], and DH bought a bamboo polo [was over priced IMO], but it's vacation time.

As we eventually headed east along the coast, we stopped in Plymouth and did the gin mill tour - yes, a few nips and another martini glass. When we visited small villages, we found local art shops and purchased a few inexpensive water colors of nearby historic sites [framed $$$ once we got home]. There were a few interesting shops in New forest, but we avoided buying for the sake of buying more stuff.

On Guernsey, we bought a local preserve and an "occupation" coaster. Our largest purchases were in Ireland - with DH leading the way to the Blarney Woolen Mill - sweaters, nice scarf or two, a winter hat for myself, and enough $$$ to qualify for free shipping back to the States. In Scotland, we picked up a few ancestry books, and shot glasses, coasters and sample nips from the various distilleries.

In France, we bought D-day items, and a t-shirt [my gym attire]. Post cruise, a stop at Stonehenge and another t-shirt and a coffee mug.

Once at LHR, we had an early dinner and then went through security and headed to the lower level [T-5] where DH bought 2 Sheridan's and I picked up another t-shirt, fudge, preserves, tea and chocolates. Harrod's at LHR prices were out of sight.

Checking cosmetic prices at LHR, Estee items were cheaper on the ship. Boots products are sold at Target in the USA, and are much, much less costly at home.

On the return flight, we arrived at the LHR with an almost empty carry-on knowing there would be last minute shopping, but we then had one extra piece of luggage to check. I didn't want to factor in that added cost.

I used to go nuts with shopping when we traveled, now I focus on the places we visit and appreciate the history and culture.

We've been to Europe a number of times, so the novelty of "must buy" has diminished for us.

Darcy

If anyone is shopping and shipping from Blarney Woolen Mills, ask them to hold your order and then ship on a date when you're already home. Otherwise, because they are so efficient, your packages will arrive home before you do!

As for shopping in Blarney Woolen Mills, or any place else, check your labels before you buy. For instance, much of Waterford Crystal isn't made in Ireland anymore, but a lot of the "woolens" still are.

Happy Shopping!

Museums and cathedrals usually have gift shops with high quality stuff. In London the V&A is really good.

As far as more ordinary things are concerned, as has been noted above, this country is expensive for visitors from the USA; in fact from most anywhere. You would probably get a better price online at home.

If you buy anything expensive for export to the USA (or anywhere out of the EU) you can recover the 20% VAT (sales tax) which makes a lot of difference. Many of the better shops will arrange shipping for a reasonable cost too.

If anyone is shopping and shipping from Blarney Woolen Mills, ask them to hold your order and then ship on a date when you're already home. Otherwise, because they are so efficient, your packages will arrive home before you do!

As for shopping in Blarney Woolen Mills, or any place else, check your labels before you buy. For instance, much of Waterford Crystal isn't made in Ireland anymore, but a lot of the "woolens" still are.

Happy Shopping!

Purchasing items that a made by local artisans is one way to avoid junk trinkets made in China.

My Waterford is limited to a Christmas ornament or two, usually purchased at Shannon or Dublin airport. I did look at Waterford pieces while at Blarney, then kept walking after I saw the prices. No need to add to the infrequently used crystal I already own.

Good idea about delayed shipping. We have someone who watches the house daily while we are away and takes in any delivery of packages. Ireland has very fast shipping; when we did a river cruise and Christmas markets, the packages took close to a month.

I am a fan of museum shops both in the USA and abroad. Salisbury Cathedral had a beautiful selection if special gifts. If visiting a castle, be sure to check out their shops, too. At one we visited The Duke who owned the castle was working the register.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill