Entertainment & Activities - Ideas

ianmcleod99

I was talking to a few other passengers on recent Equinox sailing, and we all pretty much agreed that the entertainment (production shows and guest performers largely aside) and activities had deteriorated or stayed stagnant for the last 40 + years. I am not sure if this is due to cut backs, or lack of imagination. I for one am feed up with rehashed 70s game shows, like family fortunes, Liars club (call my bluff) Mr and Mrs. etc. I also don’t particularly find the activities, shuttle board, boules and baggo up to much. That being said, I also don’t think a Miami DJ and switching on a Wii is particularly inspiring. Now I understand there are guest who like the before mentioned activities and entertainment, but I think that to continue to attract new customers/cruisers that cruise companies have to adapt.

What suggestions does anyone have to improve the entertainment and activities that they may have seen on other cruise lines?

I was talking to a few other passengers on recent Equinox sailing, and we all pretty much agreed that the entertainment (production shows and guest performers largely aside) and activities had deteriorated or stayed stagnant for the last 40 + years. I am not sure if this is due to cut backs, or lack of imagination. I for one am feed up with rehashed 70s game shows, like family fortunes, Liars club (call my bluff) Mr and Mrs. etc. I also don’t particularly find the activities, shuttle board, boules and baggo up to much. That being said, I also don’t think a Miami DJ and switching on a Wii is particularly inspiring. Now I understand there are guest who like the before mentioned activities and entertainment, but I think that to continue to attract new customers/cruisers that cruise companies have to adapt.

What suggestions does anyone have to improve the entertainment and activities that they may have seen on other cruise lines?

I think having bands, singers, duo's, piano bar, etc., with DIVERSIFIED music would be great. We enjoy dancing to current music as well as listening/dancing to some older tunes. Feel like there is just too many songs that are played out, i.e., Electric Slide, Caspar Slide, YMCA, Celebration and other

Also, would like Caribbean music at sailaway to Caribbean ports with a fun Cruise Director and staff.

A Promenade Deck without smoking spots enroute and lifeboats blocking the view would be wonderful.

Crafting

I don't enjoy crafting here at home, but on

Princess, there was a free beading class & I made bracelet and earrings -- lots of fun. Truly I am all thumbs

This would be an inexpensive entertainment to mix it up. There had to be scrap booking on Celebrity but I never caught the class. Making other things like nautical picture frames would be fun.

Also, classes in photography, standup comedy, etc.

Crafting

I don't enjoy crafting here at home, but on

Princess, there was a free beading class & I made bracelet and earrings -- lots of fun. Truly I am all thumbs

This would be an inexpensive entertainment to mix it up. There had to be scrap booking on Celebrity but I never caught the class. Making other things like nautical picture frames would be fun.

Also, classes in photography, standup comedy, etc.

Classes in photography would be really interesting. There are so many photographers trying to take your pictures with ships wheel, life ring, some stranger dressed up, there must be a better use of the photographers.

I’m all for any sort of live entertainment, you cant replace a band with a DJ, but the music has to be diverse. My mum just came of the Constellation yesterday and said the entertainment was really good, with someone playing live around the pool every day, so goes to show Celebrity can still do it.

I’m all for crafts and I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but neither are rehashed game shows.

Classes in photography would be really interesting. There are so many photographers trying to take your pictures with ships wheel, life ring, some stranger dressed up, there must be a better use of the photographers.

I’m all for any sort of live entertainment, you cant replace a band with a DJ, but the music has to be diverse. My mum just came of the Constellation yesterday and said the entertainment was really good, with someone playing live around the pool every day, so goes to show Celebrity can still do it.

I’m all for crafts and I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but neither are rehashed game shows.

On silhouette in January entertainment was excellent

Interesting guest performers and bands

Couple of small groups we didn't enjoy but don't expect to love everything

There was a nice vibe with assorted ages intermingling

I look for activities where I can learn something. I don't really care if it's a dance, a card trick, origami, information on ports of call, cooking skills etc. Yes, crafting something would be terrific. I'd love the chance to make a small keepsake to bring home with me. There were free watercolor classes on our first Celebrity cruise in 2010 and we loved that. We actually each got a basic Celebrity-branded watercolor kit to keep. We still have them.