Shipping home frozen seafood

fisheswithbears

I will be on a 7 day AK cruise out of Seattle next week, and, as usual, I have seafood on the brain. I would like to have frozen seafood shipped to my home, and I was wondering where people suggest I do that from? I would like to have halibut, salmon, and crab sent home.

I suspect Seattle might be the best choice because the shipping would probably be cheapest, but I'd like to hear what people suggest.

There's a big seafood place in Pike Market in Seattle that has signs saying they ship in "48-hour ice pack boxes" that are airline approved. This is fresh fish packed on ice, but not frozen. You'll have to have someone at home to receive it and freeze it for you. Or do you plan to ship it the day you leave and beat it home?

There's a big seafood place in Pike Market in Seattle that has signs saying they ship in "48-hour ice pack boxes" that are airline approved. This is fresh fish packed on ice, but not frozen. You'll have to have someone at home to receive it and freeze it for you. Or do you plan to ship it the day you leave and beat it home?

YES, the fun market where they play catch with the big fish. :)

They are highly recommended as being reliable.

thanks! You guys are fast. :-)

Looking on-line gives me plenty of advertising, but not many personal recommendations, so that is why I looked here. I have ordered on-line in the past, with mixed results.

Yes, I love visiting the Pike Street Market, and watching the flying fish. I was tempted to order from them in the past, but :eek:, the prices!

I have shipped halibut home from AK that we caught ourselves, but I am not fishing on this trip.:( They would not ship until the date you requested, so that you could be home to accept it.

I have used Taku in Juneau several times. They are located right at the end of the pier aside of the Fisherman's memorial.

They are a local company and are open year round,

Have a great cruise[emoji568]

Edited by 1ANGELCAT

I have used Taku in Juneau several times. They are located right at the end of the pier aside of the Fisherman's memorial.

Sounds good.

I'm curious........ Which fish did you get from them? Crab, Salmon, Halibut?

How was the shipping pricing?

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks! I will check them out.

I did post the question on the AK forum a few days ago but nobody has responded.

The price of fish has risen significantly. I pay a lot more for fish here on the East Coast in Boston than ever before. It is likely the same would be the case for West Coast.

I did just hear that lobster is still way down. A friend just returned from New England and said lobster was $4.99 a pound.

You're right the price of small lobsters is reasonable this summer but not so much for the two pounders and over. :) We like the larger ones. ;)

I specifically was referencing wild salmon, haddock, flounder, swordfish, scallops....... that is fish I buy all the time.

[/b]

I strongly second (or third or whatever) the Pike Place Market place referenced above.

As a local, I have purchased fish and sea food from them a number of times for shipment out of state. I was always pleased with the results. One thing - I would suspect, but do not know for sure, that they will delay the packing and shipping until you would be home.

Yes, the best fish are expensive this year around here, and packing to ship is costly - but in my opinion - worth the results on occasion.

Sounds good.

I'm curious........ Which fish did you get from them? Crab, Salmon, Halibut?

How was the shipping pricing?

I shipped Salmon and Halibut. I do not remember the shipping cost. I know it was shipped frozen with reusable gel packs.

We shipped crab and halibut from a little place on Fisherman's Wharf in Seattle. Sorry, don't recall the name of the place, but it is right in front of the Fisherman's Memorial and the harbormaster's office. Very reasonable cost. I'll check my info from that Alaska trip in 2013 and see if I can find a name of the company. They had a huge selection and we could tell them when we wanted it shipped so we'd be sure to be home to accept it.

I shipped Salmon and Halibut. I do not remember the shipping cost. I know it was shipped frozen with reusable gel packs.

Thanks. :)

We shipped crab and halibut from a little place on Fisherman's Wharf in Seattle. Sorry, don't recall the name of the place, but it is right in front of the Fisherman's Memorial and the harbormaster's office. Very reasonable cost. I'll check my info from that Alaska trip in 2013 and see if I can find a name of the company. They had a huge selection and we could tell them when we wanted it shipped so we'd be sure to be home to accept it.

I think I'd like to order some crab. Would be great if you are able to find the name of the company.

Thanks. :)

To the OP and S7S - the name of the company we had seafood shipped from is Wild Salmon Seafood Market at the Fisherman's Terminal in Ballard. We had rented a car for the day, specifically to go to the Fisherman's Terminal and spent a lovely morning walking the pier, visiting the Fisherman's Memorial, talking to the crew of several fishing vessels, and had a delicious lunch on the pier overlooking the water. We then ordered the crab and halibut to be shipped home to arrive when we had returned from our trip. The fish and crab were delicious - brought back memories from our many trips to Alaska. I believe their website is wildsalmonseafood.com if you want to check them out from home rather than going there while in Seattle.

Also note that you can order crab and other seafood, like their yummy crab chowder, to be shipped to your home from Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Google it, and click on their link for their seafood shipping service.

To the OP and S7S - the name of the company we had seafood shipped from is Wild Salmon Seafood Market at the Fisherman's Terminal in Ballard. We had rented a car for the day, specifically to go to the Fisherman's Terminal and spent a lovely morning walking the pier, visiting the Fisherman's Memorial, talking to the crew of several fishing vessels, and had a delicious lunch on the pier overlooking the water. We then ordered the crab and halibut to be shipped home to arrive when we had returned from our trip. The fish and crab were delicious - brought back memories from our many trips to Alaska. I believe their website is wildsalmonseafood.com if you want to check them out from home rather than going there while in Seattle.

Also note that you can order crab and other seafood, like their yummy crab chowder, to be shipped to your home from Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Google it, and click on their link for their seafood shipping service.

Thanks so much.

I'll post here if I order, what I order and how it is. :)

Appreciate the info.

I absolutely love Tracy's Crab Shack! The friend I am traveling with is not fond of seafood at all, but she is going to have to bare with me when I get to Tracy's!

I think I will check online prices again so I know before I go. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I suspect Seattle might be the best choice because the shipping would probably be cheapest, but I'd like to hear what people suggest.

Seattle will most likely have the best shipping rates - and they're a big chunk of the cost. We have used SeaBear Smokehouse for Alaskan salmon and been very pleased. The season always times well for Father's Day, and my dad loves salmon. The company is in Anacortes, Washington, but they ship directly from Alaska in season. You can find their prices on the website (seabear.com) so you have a reference for prices.

Always make sure that your seafood will arrive home after you, and that you're there to receive it.

1st time that I was in Anchorage (a big king crab port) went to the recommended crab store specifically to get king crab to ship home. It was all frozen and about $0.50 a pound more than what I can get at home - and then they added the shipping charges. In today's markets, really recommend you find a good fish store near you and find out pricing. Maybe buying form the fisher people at the pier will get you better pricing. Did ship my salmon home - it was a very expensive fish by the time all costs were factored in including the charter but we all savored every bite.

My brother lives in AK and occasionally sends smoked salmon for Christmas. Since his smoke house burned down, he now orders it from a shop in Seattle - go figure. So check pricing at home before you go.

1st time that I was in Anchorage (a big king crab port) went to the recommended crab store specifically to get king crab to ship home. It was all frozen and about $0.50 a pound more than what I can get at home - and then they added the shipping charges. In today's markets, really recommend you find a good fish store near you and find out pricing. Maybe buying form the fisher people at the pier will get you better pricing. Did ship my salmon home - it was a very expensive fish by the time all costs were factored in including the charter but we all savored every bite.

My brother lives in AK and occasionally sends smoked salmon for Christmas. Since his smoke house burned down, he now orders it from a shop in Seattle - go figure. So check pricing at home before you go.

I have been looking at the local prices, which really is just the one grocery store we have. While the prices may be about the same, I am really hoping for better quality from Seattle or AK