Thoughts on Cozumel

tmprez

While you may be able to take it off the ship I can understand a beach club or similar business not allowing you to bring in outside food/drinks - would you bring your own food and drinks to a restaurant in the US? :confused: Food and drink sales are how they make a living.

Whilst I would never go to a beach bar and use the facilities without purchasing food and/or drink I find it very odd that a bottle of water would be taken away. I have never had my bag searched entering a premises on Cozumel and I might quite often carry a bottle of water, if I am traveling around. I have even seen people walking around with beer bottles. I know for a fact people on the bar hop have carried drinks from one place to the next if they haven't finished. So, yes, I do find it odd that Mr Sanchos would confiscate a bottle of water.

I am sorry that the OP didn't enjoy their day. It is sad that their first post on CC was a complaint instead of a pre-cruise questions. What to do with a toddler, 2,3,4-year old has been asked and answered many times and may have offered suggestions to you and your group. You do not say what ages the rest of the group were and what sort if activities you were looking for.

As Mrsfuzzmo has said beaches are free in Mexico and there are plenty of options especially on the east side, (where we took our 3 year old last year,) or Playa Palancar as another poster suggested. However with a 3 year old, transport is the problem. If you docked at Puerta Maya, or International, I think your least expensive and most convenient option would have been the $20 day pass to El Cid with $10 credit towards food and drink.(Probably no charge for child - I can't remember their particular cut -off). There would have been no transport problems, a snack/or drink included with options to purchase more, Internet access, lounger, small pool and small beach area for toddler to play and splash. Close to ship to return for shade and nap if necessary.

Actually you are allowed to take out food and water as the port officials explained. I mentioned in my original post that tuna fish without lettuce is okay, PB&J is okay so is water and sodas. So actually it's fruits and vegetables and anything agricultural that are not allowed which we didn't take down except in our sandwiches. Mr. Sanchos is where they really finished us off even taking our water. How can that not leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth?

Anytime you enter a country, you may be subject to search by them. The dogs are quite efficient at their job. Yeah, it seems over the top. But it is their law. We've traveled internationally, both cruise and air, and have been sniffed by the puppies. Got busted once due to a straw hat made on the beach. Learned a lesson.

We take the rules for granted until we travel. But, the little critters that could be on the lettuce grown elsewhere may not live in Mexico. So they are careful to protect the food and environment.

Hope next trip is smoother.

FWIW... We love watching the dogs work. They are amazing.

Edited by shellunderwater

Actually you are allowed to take out food and water as the port officials explained. I mentioned in my original post that tuna fish without lettuce is okay, PB&J is okay so is water and sodas. So actually it's fruits and vegetables and anything agricultural that are not allowed which we didn't take down except in our sandwiches. Mr. Sanchos is where they really finished us off even taking our water. How can that not leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth?

Thank you so much for posting this! I've been trying to find information about what foods can and cannot be brought into the ports I will be visiting in January (Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan) and I keep hearing "packaged food only".

Please let me know if you remember any more specific rules for Cozumel. If it is just no fresh fruits and vegetables, I will happily pack us some lettuce-less tuna fish sandwiches and ham & cheese, etc. :)

Thank you so much for posting this! I've been trying to find information about what foods can and cannot be brought into the ports I will be visiting in January (Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan) and I keep hearing "packaged food only".

Please let me know if you remember any more specific rules for Cozumel. If it is just no fresh fruits and vegetables, I will happily pack us some lettuce-less tuna fish sandwiches and ham & cheese, etc. :)

If you do not want to eat local food while ashore you are better off eating before you leave the ship than trying to take food with you. The restaurants, bars and beach clubs will not allow you to bring in outside food/beverages - just like similar establishments in the US.

If you do not want to eat local food while ashore you are better off eating before you leave the ship than trying to take food with you. The restaurants, bars and beach clubs will not allow you to bring in outside food/beverages - just like similar establishments in the US.

Um, yeah. I definitely am not planning to bring ship food into restaurants/bars. I do agree with OP and PP in being surprised about the bottle of water, though. I carry water with me everywhere here in the States, even to restaurants. Not because I don't plan on ordering food/drinks, but because I generally have an open can of mineral water in my hand all the time. I've never had a problem with a restaurant or bar because I've finished off my can of water while waiting to be seated, order, etc. Sometimes I don't even finish it before drinks/food arrive. Not a big deal. I can drink a gin and tonic with one hand and a water with another...