Escargot. Yes or No?

chathamman

what ship you sailing? Hope you are having a great cruise. Are the Escargot's well prepared? One of our faves. Also, do they have 'French/Italian/other special nights?

Thanks in advance and enjoy :-)

They come out piping hot soaked in a garlic butter. :D

The dish is baked in the oven.

I usually have to let them sit for 15-20 minutes to cool down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPnzs5goyKZCti6EeOHXsFexMBO53-qmLeo_gXEjzMGBmYOOnU2A

GAH! I am sitting here at work and I'm soooooo hungry. My stomach is rumbling. This picture is cruel and unusual punishment!

No. Sorry, escargot is NOT available on the ships. "Oh look [pointing starboard], is that a baby wolf?!?" ["Pssst, WAITER -- quick; give me his portion!!!"] ;)

Hmmm... I guess Jack London did write about The Sea Wolf but that's not exactly what he was referring to. :rolleyes:

Sailing with my son he was pleased to see escargot available as an appetizer. He ordered two portions up front and it was actually the best escargot we have had on Princess to date. He was very happy.

Edited by Thrak

Interesting question. We have requested them in the MDR from the head waiter and they have been wonderful. When they have been on the menu, not so much. I wonder if the wonderful ones come from a specialty restaurant? Anyone know?

I suspect the difference is that the night they are on the menu they make hundreds of serves and keep them warm, the night you special ordered they made them fresh and served them fresh.

Well at least I didn't include a picture of the crusty fresh warm rolls.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.... I LOVE those things!

As for the quality of the escargot asked about above: I have had it from the menu where it was wonderful and I have had it from the menu where it was somewhat "meh". Obviously it varies.

We've had the opposite experience to rock doctor. When we placed a special order to have them every night they were not as good as the night they were on the menu. I now order two servings and a salad and that's dinner:) Karen

Yum Yum but more yum if they were to come as God made them in their shells, rather than the 6 pack platter.:D

Tried em numerous times prepared different ways, just don't like them at all.

But most people like them with garlic and I can't stand garlic either.

But what's left to eat if no escargot and no garlic? ;)

Actually, I like them best when they are in a light garlic sauce. In fact, garlic should enhance, not overwhelm, any dish. And personally, I like them served naked, as I have had the bad experience of having them slip out of the holder and fly across the table. Have you ever been hit in the eye by a flying escargot? :(

Edited by BosoxI

YUKKK!!! They remind me of those nasty things in my garden.

Reminds me of an evening many years ago (1979 to be precise) at a large UK Government hosted business dinner for UK delegates at an exposition in Geneva.

The poor guy on my left couldn't stand the thought of eating snails and was sat between two of us who both ordered escargots. He bravely went through the whole meal looking directly ahead irrespective of who he was talking to. Only later, in the bar, did he explain, by way of apology, that he had not looked at us when in conversation as he was worried that the thought of what we were eating would make him ill.

Ever since, although I love escargots, but not grenouilles - not surprising as I am not overly partial to white meat, I have always made sure that it was not going to be an issue for my neighbour at dinner, before I ordered escargots.

Anyone for sheep's eyes? :eek:

I think that many folks would be just as happy with a piece of bread dipped in the garlic butter! (Just kidding - sort of.)

I totally agree with you. I've tried escargot in many restaurants. Some very fine French restaurants. My favorites were served in light, puff pastries. The ones on the ship, in my own experience, are just rubbery blobs sitting in a questionable, garlicky oil. I admit, I've only ordered them twice and each time with the similar experience. I will always try something twice in case the first time was just a fluke and an "off night" in the kitchen. But I generally will stick to my rule of two. There are too many other nice items to try on the menu.

When I observe other people enjoying their escargot, they are pretty much focused on the bread they are soaking the oil up with. :p