August 26 update on low river impact

editor@cruisecritic

No worry! We sail in 15 days from Amsterdam to there is nearly a month before we reach that part of the river! Gonna need to let it go....

Almost anything is better than the smoke from all the fires around us! Can't remember when I saw blue skies last, prayers for our Fire Fighters in Oregon & Washington, things are really bad :(

I agree about letting it go. The cruise lines are doing their best to keep things going and it still turns out to be a pretty good experience. I think the weather is bound to take a turn as it tends to rain in Europe in the late summer/early fall.

Such a terrible disaster happening out there in Oregon and Washington. We have traveled extensively on the west coast and were sick watching the news coverage of the fires. We, on the other hand, live where the news reporters were just murdered on live TV. It is a crazy world :(

Thanks, CPT Trips. We've heard from Grand Circle and added the line to our round-up.

Which, alas, we've updated -- the Danube is causing problems again, particularly the passage between Regensburg and Vilshofen.

Link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6455

We'll continue to update as we get info; really appreciate any insights you have, too.

Carolyn

Here is what I was told about GCT's Essence of the Elbe. Berlin hotel as scheduled, transfer to ship in Wittenburg rather than Magdeburg as scheduled, several nights on board with excursions as scheduled (longest bus ride about 90 minutes), transfer to Dresden with several nights in hotel and excursions as scheduled and finally transfer to Prague for hotel stay as scheduled.

Which company's ship made it through? May be useful information for future reference. I really appreciate the extra effort the crew has to put in when it comes to a ship swap not only the extra ship preparation but the added task of getting to know the new passengers and their likes and dislikes, which seems to be something most compnies staff are pretty good at. I haven't seen many gripes about ship swapping on CC most cruisers appear to be taking it in their stride and as I said quite a few of the companies have kept their customers informed.

Good cruising CC

May I add our heartfelt feelings for all your firefighters and the real tragedy of the news reporters, we live in what at times seems to be a crazy and not in a nice way world, at times. Think good thoughts CC

Edited by Canal archive

From the CC app on my iPhone signatures and titles don't show... That's why I didn't see your cruise and went searching, apparently not a good searcher :D

PS not nearly as new to CC as my "name" might imply ;)

Careful, the boss is on this thread! :eek::D

jc

No worry! We sail in 15 days from Amsterdam to there is nearly a month before we reach that part of the river! Gonna need to let it go....

Almost anything is better than the smoke from all the fires around us! Can't remember when I saw blue skies last, prayers for our Fire Fighters in Oregon & Washington, things are really bad :(

We were going to do a crazy driving vacation that we would be on now, if I hadn't gotten the deal on the River cruise. We were going to Mt Rushmore, then up to Glacier, then to Banff, then to Lake Louise, then up the icefields parkway down to Seattle, then down the Oregon cost, in to Yosemite, then to Mammoth, across the desert to Moab, then home. We were going to take our two stupid dogs, and stay in dog friendly hotels. The river cruise was my lifesaver. About a month ago, on our local tv it showed a local family barely escaping a fire in Glacier NP.... Then was really glad we had booked a different vacation.

jc

We were going to do a crazy driving vacation that we would be on now, if I hadn't gotten the deal on the River cruise. We were going to Mt Rushmore, then up to Glacier, then to Banff, then to Lake Louise, then up the icefields parkway down to Seattle, then down the Oregon cost, in to Yosemite, then to Mammoth, across the desert to Moab, then home. We were going to take our two stupid dogs, and stay in dog friendly hotels. The river cruise was my lifesaver. About a month ago, on our local tv it showed a local family barely escaping a fire in Glacier NP.... Then was really glad we had booked a different vacation.

jc

Well Crater Lake National park is on fire, I can see it from my house. Fires all around us, can't go outside! Can't wait to get out of here.... I'll just keep the rain dance going and hopefully it will get some water in the Danube before we get there... :)

Well Crater Lake National park is on fire, I can see it from my house. Fires all around us, can't go outside! Can't wait to get out of here.... I'll just keep the rain dance going and hopefully it will get some water in the Danube before we get there... :)

We were going to drive around there too. Sorry. Tell your neighbors to quiit smoking in the woods.:D:eek:

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

We made it through (last ship to make it and literally scraping along!) last night from Regensberg to Passau. Viking Skirnir. :)

Very happy for you that you made it.

Sorry about the growers at Crater Lake, and I hope it starts raining on our West Coast and in middle Europe.

I love watching the hurricane season predictions, as I remember politicos saying that with climate change 10 years ago, that is why Katrina happened, and now we haven't had a hurricane hit Florida in a decade. I further love in summer we are experiencing Global Warming and in the winter it is climate change. I just want to know what the climate is supposed to be and who knows what that is.:rolleyes:

I remember back at the time that the average hurricanes hitting eastern USA was 7 and the expectation was 12 to 15... we have been averaging way less than 7.

The more we learn the more stupid we look.

jc