Labadee, Haiti - Malaria Risk

JasonTehGreat

I have a cruise coming up shortly that has a stop in Labadee. I had an appointment with one of my physicians today and he said the risk of Malaria in Haiti is actually quite high and it is an invasive and dangerous form of the disease. He placed me on Malaria medications to prevent me from contracting the disease while there.

If you have health problems or are on medications or just wish to be prudent you may want to see your personal physician and ask them what they would recommend based on your ports of call.

You are there for such a short time, during the hours when mosquitoes are not active....

If your doctor recommended it for you, and you're following his advice, then that's great! I would venture to say that few take any preventative measures and are just fine.

I did a little digging on the CDC site and found a reference for all visitors to Haiti to take anti-malaria meds including visitors to Labadee (specifically called out)

however digging a bit more I found

"This risk estimate is based largely on cases occurring in US military personnel who travel for extended periods of time with unique itineraries that likely do not reflect the risk for the average US traveler."

When my work took me to Haiti routinely I was prescribed chloroquine (entire crew) ... it was a long regiment that had to begin weeks before our trip, and continue after .... I'd bet less than half the crew took the pills complaining of reactions. I took 'em .... setting the example ....

You are there for such a short time, during the hours when mosquitoes are not active....

If your doctor recommended it for you, and you're following his advice, then that's great! I would venture to say that few take any preventative measures and are just fine.

That's why I said in the second paragraph that if a person has existing medical problems or are on chronic medications they may want to consult a physician.

Personally, I am on a drug called Humira to treat Crohn's Disease and an associated inflammatory arthritis. A side effect of the medication is that my immune system is severely weakened. Prophylaxis of bacterial, fungal and viral infections is extremely important.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I did a little digging on the CDC site and found a reference for all visitors to Haiti to take anti-malaria meds including visitors to Labadee (specifically called out)

however digging a bit more I found

"This risk estimate is based largely on cases occurring in US military personnel who travel for extended periods of time with unique itineraries that likely do not reflect the risk for the average US traveler."

When my work took me to Haiti routinely I was prescribed chloroquine (entire crew) ... it was a long regiment that had to begin weeks before our trip, and continue after .... I'd bet less than half the crew took the pills complaining of reactions. I took 'em .... setting the example ....

Thankfully Malarone has a lower side effect profile and a shorter duration of treatment. I'll be cruising 14 days so I start 2 days before I leave and finish 7 days after I come home. I also have very strong nausea medication (Zofran) that I have anyways so that will help alleviate any potential side-effects.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

From the CDC Website:

Haiti

Areas with malaria: All (including Port Labadee).

Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Moderate.

Drug resistance: None.

Malaria species: P. falciparum 99%, P. malariae rare.

Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Atovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, or mefloquine.

From the page for physicians:

Antimalarials recommended unless contraindicated.

Immune-Compromised Travelers

Consider potential drug interactions between malaria chemoprophylaxis and the traveler’s usual drug regimen.