Pregnancy and cruising?

Extra Kim

Pregnancy is a normal and healthy state of the female human body. Some of these responses make it sound like a dastardly and dangerous place to be!

I never felt better than while pregnant. I never had a moment of nausea, had loads of energy right up until the last few weeks, and birthed three healthy babies outside of the hospital (planned that way). This is the norm! Our culture and medical community have greatly messed up what can be such a wonderful time in a family's life.

I think the Swedish couple will be just fine following good health care, good nutrition, and common sense!

You were very fortunate. Pregnancy and delivery doesn't always go so well, even for very healthy, young women. I learned that the hard way when one of my college friends died in childbirth at age 22. And over the years, dozens of my friends have had serious unexpected complications related to pregnancy. I'm really glad all went so well for you, but if a woman is pregnant and there is an emergency, it is best for her to be in a situation where she can get to the medical help needed immediately and that's not always possible on a ship at sea.

Pregnancy is a normal and healthy state of the female human body. Some of these responses make it sound like a dastardly and dangerous place to be!

I never felt better than while pregnant. I never had a moment of nausea, had loads of energy right up until the last few weeks, and birthed three healthy babies outside of the hospital (planned that way). This is the norm! Our culture and medical community have greatly messed up what can be such a wonderful time in a family's life.

I think the Swedish couple will be just fine following good health care, good nutrition, and common sense!

I wonder why there are so many Intensive Care neo-natal units in hospitals if everything always goes so smoothly with pregnancies and deliveries? :confused:

Of course, it is naïve at best to state to someone we don't even know let alone their medical/family history to not worry, they'll be fine.

We sure hope all who want babies have beautiful healthy babies with uncomplicated pregnancies. That is a fantasy.

As a high risk OB nurse I recommend finishing travel by 20 weeks. Especially with a long plane ride at the end. The change in pressure on a plane has been known to cause rupture of membranes or preterm labor. I have taken care of many women who were traveling and ended up in a hospital out of town for the rest of their pregnancy. Even though you have good health insurance I would get cancel for any reason insurance. At least you can cancel up to final payment. Of course you could find out you are pregnant right after final payment and have terrible morning sickness by the time you sail. Like others have said if something happens out at sea the outcome is not the same as if you were near a hospital.

For me personally I'm not comfortable travelling a great distance internationally while pregnant just because I wouldn't want to be too far away from home should an issue arrise, but if I wasn't as much of a worry wart about it I'd would probably be happy travelling between 12-18 weeks. Morning sickness is hopefully over, you've had a couple of scans to see babies progress but you aren't so big that you're restricted on what you can do.

I wouldn't try plan around anything yet, you've got a good idea to gather the info so you have an idea of what you may do should your partner end up pregnant. But if life has taught me anything it's to not put your life on hold for things that may or may not happen. Plan your holiday assuming she won't be pregnant, you can always change your plans if she does end up pregnant before the cruise.

Very cool that you get medical insurance while traveling outside of Sweden! That is not the norm in other countries with socialized medicine.

Some countries have a reciprocal agreement with other countries regarding state healthcare. The level tends to vary and typically where this exists one would be treated on the same basis as a national of that country. In Europe it is also possible within the EEC to get an EHIC card (European Health Insurance Card) where you are a national of an EEC country. These cards are free of charge in the UK.

Regards John

• 2 weeks later...
Some countries have a reciprocal agreement with other countries regarding state healthcare. The level tends to vary and typically where this exists one would be treated on the same basis as a national of that country. In Europe it is also possible within the EEC to get an EHIC card (European Health Insurance Card) where you are a national of an EEC country. These cards are free of charge in the UK.

Regards John

There is no free of charge healthcare, anywhere.

Pay it in premiums, pay it when using it, pay it in taxes........

Someone is paying for it.

I'm really pleased that you had three straight forward pregnancies and had healthy babies. This isn't the same for everyone. Lots of people miscarry and babies born unexpectedly at 23/24 are not impossible events. A baby born at 23/24 weeks might have a chance of survival with immediate and expert medical intervention but being born in the middle of the ocean would most likely not result in a positive outcome. I think it's perfectly reasonable to consider the possible issues that might happen while being far away from a hospital.

I think it's a little naive of you to suggest they will be "just fine" with good health care, nutrition and common sense. Unfortunately I've had a far different experience than you of pregnancy and birth and know the pit falls and problems that can occur. Issues with pregnancy and birth are not rare events either so, while I hope that all will be well for them, no one can assume that will be the case.

As someone who had at least a couple of miscarriages while trying to have a baby, I was careful when my next pregnancy progressed past the first trimester. I asked my OB-Gyn about a cruise in my fourth month, and he gave his blessing. I was in my 40s but didn't have any problems nor any morning sickness (which isn't considered a sign of a problem pregnancy in the first few months; I was just lucky). We were driving to the port so no flying needed.

On the other hand, my manager's wife, who was about 16 years younger than I was, had all sorts of problems -- her asthma got worse, she developed gestational diabetes (she ended up having to quit her job), and her water broke almost two months early. Fortunately her son ended up being a healthy boy and just started college last month.

It just shows that even a woman who has a healthy lifestyle, which she did, could still have problems.

I would stick with cruising in the second trimester (when miscarriages are less likely) if you're not having any problems. By the last couple of months you may want to stay off your feet (I certainly did) and stay away from heat (yep, I had an August baby, and felt the heat more than a non-pregnant person).

Some of you are quite paranoid about a normal body function! I'd say go ahead and book (don't skip insurance) ... but wait to see how the first few months go, make sure the doctor has no reasons for concern ... and if everything seems to be good, cruise during the second trimester. Those three months seem to be good for most people: You're past the nausea, but you're not yet so big that you're cumbersome.

This would necessitate some extra planning: Plan to take it easy, to avoid strenuous activities on shore, and obviously avoid all alcohol. Take good, comfortable shoes. And enjoy all the food!