Ocean View Cabin on deck 1, 2 VS Inside cabin on higher deck

RecoveryDude

Hi! Please give me your opinions! I am booking a 7 day cruise from MIA/FLL in February and have to choose between an ocean view cabin on deck 1 or 2 OR an inside cabin on a premium deck like 6 or 7. I have never stayed on a deck so low, like 1 or 2 ... so I'm not sure how that would be....I guess I'd either have to get more cardio with lots of stairs or depend on (probably slow) elevators? I usually get an ocean view cabin, as long as it's only a few hundred more, but in this case I'm not happy paying extra money but being on a deck so low -- And before you say, "Get a Balcony, it's SOOOOO worth it" ... I will say that for these cruises it's SIGNIFICANTLY more for a balcony, like at least $500 more, and I'm footing the bill for two people so I can't even split it, and I just can't justify that. So I'm left with either higher inside cabin (which I have never had before) or a lower OV cabin. What do you all think? Opinions please!!!!

PS - Why do they give you the option of booking an Inside cabin "With obstructed picture window" but then tell you at the end of the reservation that you must have a disability or be handicapped in some way to reserve that cabin???? I'm fine with only allowing those "modified" cabins for guests with special needs, but perhaps Just ask me from the beginning of the booking if I'm disabled ... and then if I'm not I won't see those cabins as an option, but don't "tease" me with that option and then say "Just kidding" right before taking my deposit, haha.

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions!!!!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

One advantage of the lower decks is that when you come back from a port visit, you don't have to fight your way to the elevators. Just take 1 or 2 flights of stairs to your room.

Having said that, I personally don't feel that an OV cabin is worth paying extra for. Either save $$ by booking an inside cabin, or pay extra $$ to get a balcony that you can actually use & enjoy. If it were me, I think I'd go for the inside cabin...

Good luck, and have fun on your cruise, whatever you choose! :)

We book OVs for all of our cruises. 8 of 9 have been OVs. Tried a balcony once and really never used it, mabe twice on the cruise. The first reason is my wife enjoys getting up and having a window with the sun shining in. Yes, you are using elevators, but they are not that slow. If you use the elevator after dinner and coming back from port it can back up.We walk down the two flights of stais and down the long hall all the time. Its when coming back from a port to go up one set of stairs to the Riveria deck ( 2 ) and down the hall to your cabin. Same going ashore just in reverse. The Riveria deck has the Main deck above and there is very little noise. If you do book an OV on the Riveria deck remember the further to the front of the ship and to the rear you will feel the ships movement more. Our choice is forward towards the rear about 5 cabins in from the elevator. You wont hear the elevators and its a short walk to the stairway thats leads you off the ship when in port. The only drawback and its not that much is if you have dinner in the restuarent at the rear of the ship you have to walk all the way to the rear and then take the elevstor up. if you book a cabin on the Main deck do some homework and check to see whats above you, some cabins are below areas that can get noisy. Whatever you choose, hsve a great cruise.

We are spoiled to the upper decks, we prefer balconies but would do an interior higher over an ocean view. You can't beat being close to everything and not having to constantly be on elevators. We always stay on the 8-11 deck

If you are looking at the Conquest class of ship and the aim is to save money....then see if the inside 6393 or 7345 are available. These are mid ship and classified as 1A (1 twin/1upper) but these cabins have both beds on the floor and they can be configured as a king. I have stayed in both these cabins. They are slightly wider than the regular inside cabin. There is a similar cabin on deck 8 but the proximity with the buffet overhead may mean noise.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.

My personal favorite is the 4J cabins (considered interior with obstructed view, I know it makes no sense :p ) on the upper decks. I had a deluxe ocean view on deck 1 on my last cruise and it was not my favorite.........but of course I still had a lovely time!

I have had interior and Ocean views high and low. I personally book low because it is quiet. Love ocean view on Riviera decks when the waves hit the window. The water hitting the window is baby blue and fun to watch. Also fun to watch the flying fish so close to the water.

OV for sure.

The OV rooms are much larger, in fact are larger than balcony rooms because the space that is a balcony, is just more cabin space in an OV.

Plus, the motion is less down low. We like the front, we don't want to be below the galley or near the engines. Front under the showroom works well for us.

For many of the same reason stated above, I would take the OV. If there is a deluxe OV, take it -- there is a bathroom with sink, toilet, and shower, and then another with a small bathtub and shower and sink. Two people can get ready at the same time.

I am usually exhausted when I come back from the ports, so it is really nice to have to walk up only one flight of stairs to get to my room and crash!

Wow ... So many pros/cons to each room type...I still don't know what to pick? I'm concerned with an inside cabin I might feel "closed in" and slightly claustrophobic without a window ... and the lady that mentioned seeing the water hit the window of those lower OV cabins... well, that kinda freaked me out, lol. Not sure how "peaceful" it would be looking out my window at the ocean literally on the other side ... with only a little glass window separating me from water in the cabin, lol........ The lady that mentioned category 4J, inside with obscured view ... I think I tried to book one of those but got an error because I wasn't handycapped??

Please keep your comments coming, even if they are "the same" as what other people have already said, as I am keeping a tally :):)

Thanks all!

--Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Edited by RecoveryDude

I love the insides on Lido or Panorama. So close to the food! That being said, I just had an inside on deck 1 on the sunshine. Very quiet and really, I was not in it very much. I bring a battery operated clock with a nightlight or a small flashlight but there is some light coming in under the door. Deck one makes getting off the ship in ports a snap! And for the water outside OV's you really have to be facing some pretty large waves to have it splash your window. I prefer to spend less money and get a forward inside high on Lido or on the lowest deck.

Definitely an upper deck interior....on the triumph we had deck 2 OV and it was loud and vibrated (we were midship) in a sense. Absolutely miserable. Every other cruise we've done an interior on deck 7. Absolutely love being closer to lido and not having to wait as long for elevators. The upper decks even in high seas don't shake but more rock in a sense. Personally we will never book anything lower than deck 7 again

Not all 4j are handicapped rooms. Usually the center rooms are non handicapped and available for booking and frequently they will book the handicap rooms with the condition that if they need the room they will move.

I feel that 4j rooms are the answer to being thrifty.

Not all 4j are handicapped rooms. Usually the center rooms are non handicapped and available for booking and frequently they will book the handicap rooms with the condition that if they need the room they will move.

I feel that 4j rooms are the answer to being thrifty.

Do all ships have 4J rooms or just some of them? Any way to tell if I ship has 4J without having to go through a mock booking???

Thanks!

:):)Please keep those opinions coming, I love hearing everyone's thoughts, even if they are similar:):)

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I thought it was interesting question about which ships have 4j cabins so I did a quick check of the ships deck plans and it looks Spirit class and Fantasy class do not have 4j cabins. I forgot how much we liked porthole cabins on the Fantasy class because there are some on higher decks.

I wouldnt mind a porthole cabin ... however, from what I see they are all Upper/Lower configuarations and not trying to have "bunk beds" like when I was 12 lol. Plus, it would suck to fall out of the upper bed if we hit some high seas in the middle of the night! :(

Although it looks like all 1As are upper and lower some are not. We had one on the Valor and it was a single bed and the sofa made into a single. It also had two portholes and was far forward. When arriving in port you do hear the anchor dropping and some vibration, but we were up anyway. Next cruise is in February 2016 and we have an OV aft and are prepared for the same vibrations.

I can do an inside for a few days but not 7!:eek:

I've done balconies, ocean view and interior. If your one to be out and about then book an interior ( deck 7 or above). I love interiors for 7 day cruises. We're not that keen on the lower deck, it makes up feel like we're in the belly of the ship. Have a fun cruise! [emoji1]

PS - Why do they give you the option of booking an Inside cabin "With obstructed picture window" but then tell you at the end of the reservation that you must have a disability or be handicapped in some way to reserve that cabin???? I'm fine with only allowing those "modified" cabins for guests with special needs, but perhaps Just ask me from the beginning of the booking if I'm disabled ... and then if I'm not I won't see those cabins as an option, but don't "tease" me with that option and then say "Just kidding" right before taking my deposit, haha.

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I booked one of these Accessible 4J cabins you refer to. I had no idea until I got to nearly the last page of the booking process, just like you.

They asked me to check a box saying I'd accept a different cabin (equal or better) if this cabin was needed for a disabled passenger. No problem (thinking free upgrade here), take it if you need it.

I was told they are not allowed to book these cabins to able-bodied pax until the final payment date, but I believe I read that one of the exceptions is if it is the last cabin in that catagory. These are 4J catagory and my cruise shows no availability for 4J.

I don't feel guilty for taking an accessable cabin as I'm more than willing to relenquish it if it's needed. I gotta' admit, I like the extra space. We had one a couple of times when we were taking my elderly, wheelchair-bound father-in-law with us.

Also, like you said, I was looking for a regular 4J and this is the room that was offered. In my case I was not asked if I needed the accessable cabin, they just told me I may be moved and had to agree to move if asked.

Wow ... So many pros/cons to each room type...I still don't know what to pick? I'm concerned with an inside cabin I might feel "closed in" and slightly claustrophobic without a window ... and the lady that mentioned seeing the water hit the window of those lower OV cabins... well, that kinda freaked me out, lol. Not sure how "peaceful" it would be looking out my window at the ocean literally on the other side ... with only a little glass window separating me from water in the cabin, lol........ The lady that mentioned category 4J, inside with obscured view ... I think I tried to book one of those but got an error because I wasn't handycapped??

Please keep your comments coming, even if they are "the same" as what other people have already said, as I am keeping a tally :):)

Thanks all!

--Jeff aka Recovery Dude

And there probably catagories that we don't even know about. There is one cabin type with a balcony door, but no balcony. The door opens to a railing just a few inches beyond the door and the side of a lifeboat a few inches past that. That's an NCL catagory, I think.

I just heard about the Grand Oceanview rooms on some ships.

*Valor (one double, one quad)

Conquest (one double, one quad)

Freedom (one double, one quad)

Sunshine (both Quads)

Glory (one double, one quad)

Wow, I'd like one of these. They have expanded a 4J cabin to incorporate the walkway in front and placed a giant, sloping picture window in the wall looking forward. The view has got to be amazing.

Are you sure they were asking you to confirm you were HC or were they asking if you would move if necessary? See my previous post.