Dominica

33Minnie33

Very sad. :(

Yes it is Colo - hope that this was it for the storms they have to face this year and that they can finish their recovery. We will see this island first hand this November and see what we can do to help out financially.

Yes it is Colo - hope that this was it for the storms they have to face this year and that they can finish their recovery. We will see this island first hand this November and see what we can do to help out financially.

If you'd rather help immediately, as I've mentioned a few times, I'm more than happy to provide the government direct donations information for donations direct to the cause...

I am very, very aware of the devastation in Dominica. I have family there, and several friends. Thank you very much.

No one is saying they will be back to normal in 30 days. Obviously. But they will be back in business. Bypasses will be up, temporary bridges will be up and people will be back running their shops and bars and Tours.

For those who want to donate directly, I'm more than happy to put you in contact with the resources.

Hurricane Tomas flattened us 5 years ago, and we're still repairing damages caused by it. However, even with the only road the circles the island washed away in several spots, killing several.folks, and cutting several.communities off - including my own - bypass roads were up in a week...and while we used bypass roads, the main roads were repaired. Ships had returned in a week. And visitors were well on their way enjoying themselves...that was in a week - with no international aid yet.

Dominica is rising to the challenge. To write them off, and the work they can do in a month, is very premature. No one says it will look like what it did before in 30 days, but they will be open for business...

I agree with you ReedPrincess. I remember how quickly St. Lucia reopened for cruise traffic. If I can recall it was no more than 2 weeks. We were on the first cruise who stopped there afterwards. Granted, we saw lots of roads still covered with mud from the landslides but the infrastructure was in place. I've been to other Caribbean islands right after a hurricane such as St. Maarten and Grenada. They come back quicker than people realize. It will take some time for the lush foliage to come back but the basic infrastructure in Dominca should be back in a very short time.

On a positive note, the airport, Melville Hall (or recently renamed Douglas-Charles) has been cleared out enough and is operational enough to be receiving C130s. Venezuela has made the first of several supply runs as of Tuesday afternoon.

Cuba has sent a 16-person medical team to Dominica also, to help treat those with illnesses and injuries, etc. They have taken a major supply of medications including those destroyed by the tropical storm...Also included are 3 civil and 2 electrical engineers to help with cleaning and recovery efforts..

Between the various island's help, the island is slowly but surely digging out.

Edited by reedprincess

Please let us know them. Some may be bashful about asking.

Good point...Here's the info for the various country banks donations, the account details are as follows:

United States Dollars (USD)

Federal Reserve Bank (NY)

SWIFT: FRNYUS33

ECCB’s account number at the FED: 021083695

FFC Government of Dominica account 310301005

British Pound Sterling (GBP)

Bank of England

SWIFT: BKENGB2L

ECCB’s account number at Bank of England: 40920003

EURO

Deutsche Bank, Frankfurt

SWIFT: DEUTDEFF

Favour: Crown Agents Bank

SWIFT: CRASGB2L

Account No: 9608217

IBAN: DE35500700100960821700

ECCB’s Account Number at Crown Agents: 33792403

Canadian Dollars (CAD)

Bank of Canada

SWIFT: BCANCAW2

ECCB’s account number at Bank of Canada: 30641-1

Eastern Caribbean Dollars (XCD)

ECCB: ECCBKNSK

Government of Dominica BIC code GVDMDMDM

For Government of Dominica call account 310301005

Hope that helps our for those who may want to donate immediately rather than wait for upcoming cruise visits....

someone from our roll call wants to bring in school supplies. Any thoughts on that?

School supplies will be very welcome, especially composition books, pencils and pens, coloring books, crayons, packs of paper. Etc. Very kind...and will be much appreciated. Gently used kids clothes would be very much appreciated also, along with gently used baby clothes. Baby accessories are much needed also including bottles, pacifiers, bibs, etc.. These types of things would be very welcome.

School supplies will be very welcome, especially composition books, pencils and pens, coloring books, crayons, packs of paper. Etc. Very kind...and will be much appreciated. Gently used kids clothes would be very much appreciated also, along with gently used baby clothes. Baby accessories are much needed also including bottles, pacifiers, bibs, etc.. These types of things would be very welcome.

Thanks for info. Would you know anyone connected to a school that we could reach out to?

Thanks for info. Would you know anyone connected to a school that we could reach out to?

Roseau Primary School

Address: Bath Estate

Village: Roseau

email; roseauprimary@cwdom.dm

Telephone: 767-448-7901

Principal: Ms. Greta B Robertd

Mahaut Primary School

Address: Teza Grounds

Village/Town: Mahaut

Telephone: 767-449-2145

Email Address: mahautschool@hotmail.com

Principal: Ms. Victoria Robersts

Coulibistrie Primary School

Address: Coulibistrie

Village/Town: Coulibistrie

Telephone: 767-446-6158

Email Address: Coulibistrie_gov@hotmail.com

Principal : Mrs. Aurelia Benjamin

That should get you started...

thanks for the information for the schools we will contact the schools and see what we can work out, do you think that someone from one of the schools could meet us on the dock we come in I believe oct 4 on the royal.

That would very much depend on the situation at the time...im sure they would arrange to have someone meet you to receive the donations. Who that may be is anyone's guess, ie whetger it's a school official or a volunteer or whatnot. You would need to arrange with the school. Hope it works out for you. All the best..

That would very much depend on the situation at the time...im sure they would arrange to have someone meet you to receive the donations. Who that may be is anyone's guess, ie whetger it's a school official or a volunteer or whatnot. You would need to arrange with the school. Hope it works out for you. All the best..

Thanks reedprincess and patfred for handling this. I am on the same roll call with patfred, so glad he found you. We have a nice size roll call group and hopefully many can bring a little something tucked into their suitcase.

Kathleen

An update...please keep Dominica in your thoughts, and for those of you who pray, tour prayers. The Caribbean is currently experiencing a tropical depression passing over us, and Dominica is once again at the heart of it. She is taking another beating. The remarkable progress that has been made is being washed away as I type. The rain is heavy, and relentless. This will set their recovery back by as many weeks again.

Don't hold your breaths at this point for tourism and cruises to be visiting by early October. While they were easily on track for visits from the earlier damage, this depression will set that back by as many weeks as they re-clear and re-open places that are being damaged and flooded once again.

Again, your thoughts, and prayers for those of you who pray, are most welcome. As are any donations to the earlier accounts, etc... They will desperately need cash infusions to help with further recovery.

Thanks, and Jah Bless...

I am very interested in organizing the same kind of school supply donations. We are on the Royal Princess cruise that stops in Dominica on October 25, 2015. I already have fellow cruisers that are interested in donating.

I wonder how to work out the logistics. Please help me.

Our cruise on the Royal should dock on the 5th we are still waiting to see if we will still port there. Princess in Fort Lauderdale and the Port Athorities with Dominica are working on how we can get our donations off the ship. I have contacted the Ministery of Education Human Resource Development and they said they would be very grateful and happy to have someone meet at the dock. They must have a clearance from port to bring the items into the island. Still working on what we can do. I am trying to get someone on the ship to collect the items we bring and get them ashore. But clearance to do this is the issue. Should hear back soon.