Refusing an upgrade and bringing own towels

flagger

We got a call on Friday from our TA telling us that Celebrity was offering an upgrade to a Sky Suite on Infinity for our cruise. We have a coveted AFT cabin and are reluctant to give it up. We toured a sky suite on our last cruise and other than a bit more space, we really were not that impressed. We are leaning on not giving up our CC AFT Cabin. I know for sure if it had been a Celebrity Suite, we would say NO WAY JOSE, I just would not give up my balcony for any amount of more space.

Secondly as we are both fluffy folks, we are wondering if anyone has brought their own towels. I know we can always request more towels, but we just found the towels on our last cruise inadequate. I know they take up space, but I just thought I would ask.

Flagger, I have put a note on my upcoming aft cabin bookings to the effect "no upgrade" as I would not want to be put in a Sky Suite. I want to experience one of those huge balconies and watch the wake of the ship. Oh and I don't really want to pay an extra set of tips for the butler either, if that is a consideration;):D An upgrade to an RS would be ok.

Phil

Hi Flagger,

Well done on being visited by the "Upgrage Fairy." Katy and I are hoping she will visit us too.

I think you need to do what you like. If you really want the aft cabin, stay there. If you want to try the suite, do that too. Whatever makes you and your family happy.

See ya mate,

Mark. :rolleyes:

It is Waterford crystal, which I bought in Dover, England, and took on our Renaissance IV Baltic cruise. Twice since on HAL cruises, and soon on Celebrity. Holds the G&T very nicely, thank you, and it is a reminder of great cruises past and present!

We got a call on Friday from our TA telling us that Celebrity was offering an upgrade to a Sky Suite on Infinity for our cruise. We have a coveted AFT cabin and are reluctant to give it up.
If you'd originally had an FV, the change would actually be a downgrade in space both outside and in. For the few folks who have had FV Guarantees (they don't show up often, but they do occur) an upgrade can be their worst nightmare. Your decision would be pretty easy.

As it is, you lose up to 3/4 (give or take, depending on the deck) of your veranda. While the extra 50+ sq feet inside would be nice, the two of us have never felt cramped in a 192 sq ft M-Class CC cabin. Toss the coin, but I'm pretty sure we'd stick with the aft CC given the same choice. The odds of your SS cabin being 6145 or 6146, or even 6131 or 6132 are awfully slim. Any of those would buy you back some veranda space, and they're very nice cabins -- might be trading material.

Secondly as we are both fluffy folks, we are wondering if anyone has brought their own towels. I know we can always request more towels, but we just found the towels on our last cruise inadequate. I know they take up space, but I just thought I would ask.
"Inadequate" in what capacity? If nothing else, you can always grab the two beach towels that X supplies and use those, and have them replaced daily as well.

Were you in a CC cabin on your last cruise? I thought the towels in CC class were a lot better than the regular towels. They might be good enough for you.

Terri

I think the problem with the towels is that yes you can get the sandpaper washed out 1000's of times towels on any cruise, however a cruise line, even Carnival(is that a bad word here?) will go out of their way to please if you ask! Many would rather complain that ask for things not to their liking. If you don't like the towels you got, ask for "fluffier" ones. I bet you get them.

Taking your own towels is a rather dumb idea. Where will you put all those Tshirts you buy on the cruise to take back?

I'd keep my aft, too. But why were you offered an upgrade? I hope they just don't switch people without giving them the option of declining...do you think I need to actually TELL Celebrity (I don't use a TA) that I do NOT want to be upgraded out of my aft? I thought only people who requested guarantees got upgraded.

I'd keep my aft, too. But why were you offered an upgrade? I hope they just don't switch people without giving them the option of declining...do you think I need to actually TELL Celebrity (I don't use a TA) that I do NOT want to be upgraded out of my aft? I thought only people who requested guarantees got upgraded.
We're cruising on the Galaxy in November and we were upgraded out of a specific cabin # we had picked without either Celebrity or our TA notifying us. I just happened to notice the number change on the Celebrity website one day. Called our TA to check, and they had no record of the change and had to call Celebrity to verify. Apparently the computer had upgraded us. Previously we had always received a call asking if we would accept the upgrade. Glad of the upgrade, although not thrilled on the new cabin location, or that we weren't contacted.

" Apparently the computer had upgraded us. Previously we had always received a call asking if we would accept the upgrade. Glad of the upgrade, although not thrilled on the new cabin location, or that we weren't contacted."

Before I read this post I did call Celebrity and they told me they *never* randomly upgrade people so there was no need to even put this into my reservation (didn't ask for my name or res #). I'd better call again tomorrow and double check!

On the HA board there is one man that takes his own fold up table for the balconey because HA's are too small. I can just hear my DH if I suggeted taking a table or towels. Whatever makes you happy. On the other hand I would never trade my aft cabin for a suite, love that balcony and the CC perks. We were upgraded once to a suite with a butler, it was fun but not worth the extra cost if we had booked it, plus you have another person to tip. Just my opinion.I am going in to check Celebrity right now to make sure they didn't change my aft cabin on Oct. 8.

Not sure here, but I think Flagger meant not that he wanted fluffier towels, but larger ones. Several friends here in the Bay Area refer to themselves as "I'm not fat, just fluffy!" I'd imagine that if you are "size-advantaged," the standard towels don't really cut it, and trying to wrap yourself in one to answer the door could lead to an embarrassingly intimate encounter! Also, common sense would say, more of you = more wet skin to dry, and small towels aren't enough.

That said, Flagger, unless you're saving lots of packing room with the formal wear;) , you might want to use the pool towel suggestion. They're quite a bit larger, and I do think they're fluffier, too!:)

Andrew

Archived