Are Celebrity about to cancel cruise?

Fjord4Fun

Dave - Would your insurance reimburse the costs of the second of a back to back pair if the first was cancelled? What about the flights booked separately and any non-refundable excursions booked? This is one area UK insurance lets us down.

When I rang and asked about flights and excursions they said they'd pay out. I always ring and check, even if we're staying with same company. As to a B2B why should they pay out for something which isn't affected. As you're still able to go on that cruise. I think guys from the USA pay a lot more than us, I seen people who state they have no medical issues paying a couple hundred dollars for just the one cruise.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

If you're paying so much for insurance in the UK, then I think you need to change your insurer. We pay £70 a year for worldwide insurance for the 2 of us.

Believe me, once you age and if you end up with complex medical conditions [even though not life-threatening], you will find yourself as limited in obtaining insurance. When we first started cruising in 2006, we were covered by the complimentary travel insurance which came with our bank account. Those days of cheap annual insurance are now past.

Edited by Project_gal

We have 'free travel insurance' with our Bank Account.

Actually, it is no longer free, as my husband & I are now over 70, so we pay £50 age related surcharge. But 10 years ago when we cancelled QE2 due to my replacement knee operation, they paid out.

No idea however about non health related claims.

We have this as well but the free insurance changes as you add conditions.

Believe me, once you age and if you end up with complex medical conditions [even though not life-threatening], you will find yourself as limited in obtaining insurance. When we first started cruising in 2006, we were covered by the complimentary travel insurance which came with our bank account. Those days of cheap annual insurance are now past.

No one mentioned age originally, I know it goes up, my parents are now having trouble they're in their 70's

When I rang and asked about flights and excursions they said they'd pay out. I always ring and check, even if we're staying with same company. As to a B2B why should they pay out for something which isn't affected. As you're still able to go on that cruise. I think guys from the USA pay a lot more than us, I seen people who state they have no medical issues paying a couple hundred dollars for just the one cruise.

Even more than that! And one time I tore up my knee getting off the ship rushing to the airport (we'd been held up for hours by people not showing up at customs) and insurance wouldn't pay. I couldn't prove it happened then because we continued to rush to the plane, making it just before the gates closed. I still insure long trips but am looking for an alternative.

As to a B2B why should they pay out for something which isn't affected. As you're still able to go on that cruise.

Except that I was due to take just journeys by air (with all the airport hassle) to do a 30 day holiday. If they cancel, to do the same trips would involve double the journeys and therefore double the cost and hassle. Besides it may be two cruises for the cruise line but it's ONE (major) holiday for me, the likes of which I'll never be able to take again.

And If Celebrity are handling the flights, you will be part of a bulk booking that will not get allocated until much nearer the cruise date. Usually after the final payment is made.

I know that this is what many people in the UK have reported but we have never been allocated such flights by Celebrity. It may be because we always stay pre- and post-cruise.

However, I learned recently that, for some time now, there has been two ways of booking flights through Celebrity in the UK. The traditional way of booking and "dynamic" bookings. Basically, dynamic bookings are those made via the website. With these both hotels and flights are purchased through Celebrity via third party agencies rather than directly through Celebrity just like booking though any other website but with the Celebrity commitment to get you to your cruise. The catch is that you are fully committed to the flight and hotel booking from the day you book but you will not be on a group booking for your flight.

And If Celebrity are handling the flights, you will be part of a bulk booking that will not get allocated until much nearer the cruise date. Usually after the final payment is made.

Our flights booked separately by TA so nothing to do with Celebrity - other than to connect to their cruises.

I know that this is what many people in the UK have reported but we have never been allocated such flights by Celebrity. It may be because we always stay pre- and post-cruise.

However, I learned recently that, for some time now, there has been two ways of booking flights through Celebrity in the UK. The traditional way of booking and "dynamic" bookings. Basically, dynamic bookings are those made via the website. With these both hotels and flights are purchased through Celebrity via third party agencies rather than directly through Celebrity just like booking though any other website but with the Celebrity commitment to get you to your cruise. The catch is that you are fully committed to the flight and hotel booking from the day you book but you will not be on a group booking for your flight.

If we can fit in extra days before and after the cruise I am happy organising the flights myself. I can travel with whatever airline suits me in whatever class I want. I tend to do that when we visit the US. I will book everything separately but leave a few days before and after for potential travel problems since we do that in February most years.

If I am travelling from Scotland to Southampton it is as easy getting Celebrity to do it as they also do the transfer to the ship. That makes it their problem to get me to the ship not mine. If we do a cruise from the continent we usually arrange the flights via the cruise company we may sort out transfers if we are going a few days early. If not I let them get me to the ship in time on their flights with their transfers.

The Southampton flights vary from year to year - last year it was part of a bulk booking, and we could not reserve seats or extra cases without calling Flybe with a code from the RCCL flight department. This year I received a flight locator code with the ticket booklet so I could then sort out my own seats, extra baggage etc.