Regent - if you are reading, we need a "Mike Moore"

Travelcat2

Hi Mike. We are on the Voyager at present and we find it hard to get on to the Internet. It is frustrating.

My husband does a blog and after 20 mins (13mb) trying to download, gave up.

The computer IT officer told him there are 80% passengers with free Wifi and they don't logout. Any advice, other than being up at the crack of dawn?

Could everyone be logged out automatically after 15 to 20 mins with perhaps exceptions if you see the IT officer with a good reason not to be logged out?

Jill

We are currently on the Mariner where the speed slows down dramatically during the day. please do not log people off after 15 or 20 minutes. I am in the computer room and am watching people slowing typing their emails -- it is definitely taking longer than 15 or 20 minutes. The former 1 hour limit worked fairly well as long as a warning flashed on the screen. IMO, it would not be fair to penalize those of us who do log out when we are done because of the few that do not.

The bigger issue is how the internet will work when everyone has included, unlimited internet at the end of next year. There are not enough computers to accommodate everyone (note: I do understand that unless you already have "loyalty" unlimited internet, the passengers will only have "unlimited internet" for one person per suite which does help a bit).

IMO, the internet is working better (not necessarily faster) than it has in years. Please don't mess with it.

Hi Mike. We are on the Voyager at present and we find it hard to get on to the Internet. It is frustrating.

My husband does a blog and after 20 mins (13mb) trying to download, gave up.

The computer IT officer told him there are 80% passengers with free Wifi and they don't logout. Any advice, other than being up at the crack of dawn?

Could everyone be logged out automatically after 15 to 20 mins with perhaps exceptions if you see the IT officer with a good reason not to be logged out?

Jill

We too are currently on the Voyager, and all things considered, the Internet service is quite good. But, we adjust our expectations and usage realizing that it is a satellite based system. The number of users logged in is less important than the sum total of all MB/sec channeled on the satellite link by all crew and passengers at any moment. All of those iPhones that are still logged in, but turned off, don't contribute to bandwidth limitations.

We avoid usage in mid afternoons, which is prime time. Any time in the morning before tours, and the Internet is very fast (at least for a ship).

This isn't really my area of expertise. I know that there are a number of factors that go into internet performance while at sea, and we have made a significant investment in improving it in the last year.

• 4 weeks later...
We are currently on the Mariner where the speed slows down dramatically during the day. please do not log people off after 15 or 20 minutes. I am in the computer room and am watching people slowing typing their emails -- it is definitely taking longer than 15 or 20 minutes. The former 1 hour limit worked fairly well as long as a warning flashed on the screen. IMO, it would not be fair to penalize those of us who do log out when we are done because of the few that do not.

Hi Jackie, while we were on the Mariner a few weeks ago. I had reasonable connectivity. What I do is to logon to my e-mail service download my current messages then logoff. I respond to my e-mails as necessary and send. They are put into the send queue. When I am finished responding I log back into my e-mail service which sends all the queued responses. Sometimes they need a little encouragement but they are all transmitted. With that task accomplished I may check facebook, which is a resource hog, and can be problematic. I may check our security system.

There are ways to alleviate the bandwidth issue, but all should be aware of the alternatives to make the most of the resources available. Then again some people really don't care.

Just some thoughts.

Happy New Year.

John

Hi Jackie, while we were on the Mariner a few weeks ago. I had reasonable connectivity. What I do is to logon to my e-mail service download my current messages then logoff. I respond to my e-mails as necessary and send. They are put into the send queue. When I am finished responding I log back into my e-mail service which sends all the queued responses. Sometimes they need a little encouragement but they are all transmitted. With that task accomplished I may check facebook, which is a resource hog, and can be problematic. I may check our security system.

There are ways to alleviate the bandwidth issue, but all should be aware of the alternatives to make the most of the resources available. Then again some people really don't care.

Just some thoughts.

Happy New Year.

John

Hi John,

Really interesting. Would you mind describing how you can download emails? I am not that computer savvy but it sounds like a good idea.

The main issue I had onboard the Mariner was not being able to access Photobucket so that I could post photos. Thankfully there are great people on Cruise Critic that really helped!

Have a great 2016!

Jackie

Hi John,

Really interesting. Would you mind describing how you can download emails? I am not that computer savvy but it sounds like a good idea.

Have a great 2016!Jackie

Jackie, I would have responded sooner but the warden (AKA DW) and DD had other priorities.

Your email provider is the key if you can use other email clients i.e. Outlook which is a Microsoft product and is included with Microsoft Office (I think can be downloaded separately) or "Email" which is use by the android operating system on Asus tablets, and various smart phones. There are a number of Email clients available through the Internet but, you must find the one which is compatible with with your email provider.

Some email providers will only allow email access when you are connected online. For instance my daughter still uses AOL and cannot review her email unless she is connected to AOL. I did a brief look at the configuration options and did not see any parameters which would allow her to store her AOL email on her laptop.

You may be able to find an email client on the Internet which will support your email provider and allow you to store your e-mail on your device. BUT it must be able to synchronize your email stored on your device with the email providers email store. i.e. if you delete a message on your device it will also be deleted on the provider's email store.

We are on the road for Christmas visits and will be back home mid week. If you can let me know who your email provider is maybe I can find an email compatible with your device.

From what I have observed on CC there are a number of contributors which can supply the information you need to change your email characteristics.

HappY New Year

John & Victoria