Specialty restaurants with a very restricted eater?

moesyk4

My MIL follows the diet touted by the Forks over Knives folks...can't remember the name but it's no meat, no dairy, very limited salt and oils. She follows it about 85% of the time, will occasionally have some chicken, a bowl of ice cream, etc.

We purchased us all a 4 day specialty dining package. We are doing Teppanyaki (for my son, he is so excited!), Cagneys, Moderno, and Le Bistro. Cagneys is non negotiable so I'm hoping she will find something that will work there, but I'm unsure about Moderno. I was thinking everyone keeps bragging up the salad bar and she could stick with that, but wondered if we should cancel that and go with 2 times at Le Bistro? I'm sure she could find plenty at La Cucina but with such dismal overall reviews I don't want to risk it.

She is very laid back and wouldn't complain no matter where we went, but want her to feel ok with everything!

I don't use much salt and find Moderno to be salty and a little greasy and Teppanyaki is loaded with butter and garlic oil.

Look at the current menus on Beyond Ships and see if there is anything that would work. Just keep in mind as with all things NCL recently everything is subject to change w/o notice so what may be good for her now may not necessarily be there when you cruise

My MIL follows the diet touted by the Forks over Knives folks...can't remember the name but it's no meat, no dairy, very limited salt and oils. She follows it about 85% of the time, will occasionally have some chicken, a bowl of ice cream, etc.

We purchased us all a 4 day specialty dining package. We are doing Teppanyaki (for my son, he is so excited!), Cagneys, Moderno, and Le Bistro. Cagneys is non negotiable so I'm hoping she will find something that will work there, but I'm unsure about Moderno. I was thinking everyone keeps bragging up the salad bar and she could stick with that, but wondered if we should cancel that and go with 2 times at Le Bistro? I'm sure she could find plenty at La Cucina but with such dismal overall reviews I don't want to risk it.

She is very laid back and wouldn't complain no matter where we went, but want her to feel ok with everything!

Your MIL will probably want some special help with menus/ingredients at all of the restaurants.

You/she should probably contact the Special Needs folks at NCL:

AccessDesk@NCL.com

This is where people make advance arrangements for all special needs, dietary and otherwise.

She'll be given a contact name when she boards, so she can plan meals in advance.

For example, we requested Le Bistro's onion soup to be prepared without all the salt, and when we arrived, it was all set to be served.

The main "problem" is that to do this carefully requires planning which restaurant and items for the next day.

OR... you/she can make specific requests at each meal, but obviously, there will be limitations to what would be available.

GeezerCouple

First thing I would do is attend the Meet and Greet and chat to the Executive Chef and the Food and Beverage and Restaurant Managers, you should get a card with their handy-phone numbers on it at the Meet and Greet. The fish in Cagney's is excellent as is the fish in Le Bistro. Moderno will be the salad bar, which is excellent with a lot of choice, and you might be able to negotiate with the Chef at Teppanyaki, but as someone said there is a lot of oil!

Hope this helps.

Since NCL offers vegetarian fare (simplistic) there may be some fruits, vegetables, tubers, whole grains, and beans that can be prepared for her at meals. Since this a special request diet I would suggest you speak with someone from NCL and ask who to contact on your ship about her meals. There may not be some ingredients available for your cruise as this is a specialized diet. Could the cruise be her 15% of the time not following her diet?

La Cucina isn't that bad. Pretty decent variety, never crowded. We ate there twice on our last cruise and had good meals each time.

I think it might be just because it's not that fancy compared to the other specialties, and that most people find it fairly easy to find good italian restaurants in their own hometowns.

The salad bar at Moderno is pretty awesome, but there is definitely quite a bit of seasoning and oil in most of the offerings. I can't think of anything off the top of my head at Cagney's that will fit in her diet, however. Teppanyaki is more or less an unavoidable one. They use plenty of butter and oil when cooking and it's all on the same flattop.

La Cucina is good, but again, there's a high chance of there being a good amount of seasoning and oil involved (it IS Italian after all). Le bistro? Again, the same.

Perhaps the cruise will just be a good time to take a vacation from the diet, too? :P

Edited by NoahtheRed

NCL wants people to be happy and return for other cruises. Please have your MIL contact Special Needs so they can get her in contact with the right person. They will help her. Then, as has been said, talk to the food services staff at the M&G. This has worked for my daughter who is a strict Vegan. She has always been very pleased.

NCL wants people to be happy and return for other cruises. Please have your MIL contact Special Needs so they can get her in contact with the right person. They will help her. Then, as has been said, talk to the food services staff at the M&G. This has worked for my daughter who is a strict Vegan. She has always been very pleased.

Strict vegan and random diet are two different things. I can't imagine doing some random fad diet and expecting the ship to manage it for me. How selfish is that?

Moderno is not worth it. Better off going to Cagney's again. Moderno was extremely disappointing.

Same for La Cucina. Its nothing more than an Olive Garden at-sea.

As for specialty diet, tell the maitre d' when you arrive and they will always do what they can to assist, even if that means bringing food in from the main dining room for the diner with special dietary needs.

Yes.. Teppanaki is full of salt, oil, butter....there's no reason to pay the price for that if all she's going to eat is the salad!!

I do not eat anything with butter so at Teppanyaki they prepared my meal in their kitchen (non-hibachi) and brought it out to me when everybody else's food was served --- everybody else's food on the hibachi was loaded up with heaps of butter.

Of course NCL wants happy campers, but this is a self imposed choice (not a belief nor medical necessity) and she eats what she wants at times;). Why should the family cater to this and avoid certain eateries they want to try. And why should NCL cater to a fad diet when they need to cater to true necessities?

Of course NCL wants happy campers, but this is a self imposed choice (not a belief nor medical necessity) and she eats what she wants at times;). Why should the family cater to this and avoid certain eateries they want to try. And why should NCL cater to a fad diet when they need to cater to true necessities?

I would hardly call it a fad diet...it is one that pulls out healthy, whole foods that avoid some of the huge triggers of obesity in this country...salt, bad fats, and sugar namely. While I could never follow the diet myself, I am proud of her accomplishments and commitment to it. She has followed it well for over 5 years, has lost over 70 pounds in the process, and has cut her medications nearly in half. It's been incredible.

I'm astonished that following a common sense clean eating plan is lumped in the same category as drinking protein shakes for every meal or drinking cabbage juice to drop pounds. She chooses to occasionally indulge with a dish of ice cream or some chicken only when there aren't other options available, not just on a whim.

My question was only what restaurants would lend her with the ability to choose whether to stick strictly to a lifestyle that has no doubt saved her life (and would honestly revolutionize the country if it were common place) or to have a little splurge as we are all entitled to. I don't think it's anyone's place to say what is or isn't special needs. She is/was diabetic and so this is a very active part of her diabetes management.

Although they probably haven't had many requests for KOF diet, they will accommodate vegans and that should suffice.

As was already suggested, I think it's a good idea to contact NCL ahead of time to set up a meeting. They could even help her with buffet choices. meaning ingredients she wants to stay away from. Where she can get soy or almond milk, and such.

If she doesn't want to do that, there are options. As far as specialty restaurants, she should be fine. Check out the side items; should be plenty of things she can eat. Of course she'll need to request prepped with no oils/salt. There may be some whole grain options, too.

She can always ask for fruit plates, bean and veggie burgers to fill in some gaps. I would alert the restaurant(s) ahead of time for those requests.

Teppanyaki will make "specials" in the kitchen and could likely do a nice veggie dish....maybe they even have brown rice?

Most important? Plan, relax and have a great cruise!

I would hardly call it a fad diet...it is one that pulls out healthy, whole foods that avoid some of the huge triggers of obesity in this country...salt, bad fats, and sugar namely. While I could never follow the diet myself, I am proud of her accomplishments and commitment to it. She has followed it well for over 5 years, has lost over 70 pounds in the process, and has cut her medications nearly in half. It's been incredible.

I'm astonished that following a common sense clean eating plan is lumped in the same category as drinking protein shakes for every meal or drinking cabbage juice to drop pounds. She chooses to occasionally indulge with a dish of ice cream or some chicken only when there aren't other options available, not just on a whim.

My question was only what restaurants would lend her with the ability to choose whether to stick strictly to a lifestyle that has no doubt saved her life (and would honestly revolutionize the country if it were common place) or to have a little splurge as we are all entitled to. I don't think it's anyone's place to say what is or isn't special needs. She is/was diabetic and so this is a very active part of her diabetes management.

It's a great thing she's doing for her health and I applaud her for it. I'm not dogging her at all. I'm dogging the person who thinks this is a special needs situation. As a family member of someone who is special-needs, I can see the difference. You just said she's done it for 5 years, so it's safe to assume that she is going to be way more familiar with her own dietary needs than the ship's special needs department. I just personally don't think that someone should bother them with this.

Oh,I see, yes, although I appreciate the suggestion I agree I would hardly call her diet choices special needs. I am not familiar with the department though, it could be perhaps that it covers all requests that are beyond the scope of what is normal available such as a dairy sensitivity. I am mot sure.

Oh,I see, yes, although I appreciate the suggestion I agree I would hardly call her diet choices special needs. I am not familiar with the department though, it could be perhaps that it covers all requests that are beyond the scope of what is normal available such as a dairy sensitivity. I am not sure.

Prior to this post, you did not indicate any medical necessities as diabetes, blood pressure/cardiac problems and eats close to a vegetarian diet.

Oh,I see, yes, although I appreciate the suggestion I agree I would hardly call her diet choices special needs. I am not familiar with the department though, it could be perhaps that it covers all requests that are beyond the scope of what is normal available such as a dairy sensitivity. I am not sure.

I think special needs also handles if you needed a mattress pad because your back gets sore onboard - they are not just for the disabled. I believe you should contact them and ask who you should speak to when you get on board.

Disregard the posters that felt posting the medical details necessary. They are not - a diet is a diet. Thousands of people are vegan by choice to be healthier, not by belief. They would always be accommodated. Your mother will too - happily.