Stray ONCE to NCL for grandkids?

We are very loyal to Royal (Diamond Plus) and can't say enough good things about our cruises with them. We want to take our 4 adult kids and 4 grandkids (ages 8, 6, 3, 2) on a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean next year and our first inclination was to book the Oasis when she comes to Port Canaveral (we live locally). However; I cannot believe we're considering this, we have thought about Norwegian Epic (also coming to Port Canaveral) because it seems that ship has the slides, bowling, and many other things the kids & grandkids would love to do. We are torn...any suggestions from those of you who have sailed the Epic?

Most likly with the ages of your grandkids they will have fun no matter what ship they are on . However, I would think the edge would go to Oasis . They will love the carousel and Dramworks characters. My kids have been on Oasis class a few times and they love it. Our most recent was a couple of weeks ago and they are 8 & 10. Their first time was at 4 & 6 years old.

I like the suggestionof the previous poser to wait until your Nov sailing on Allure to see how YOU enjoy the ship.

We actually did a family cruise on the Freedom (with only the 2 older kids a few years back) and they loved the Dreamwork characters. My husband & I actually do prefer the bigger ships we've been on (Freedom, Independence, Mariner) over the smaller & mid sized ones.

I got the impression that despite the "stuff" on top of the ship, NCL isn't as much fun. Oasis has a lot of stuff to do, including kid's areas and a splash pool for the younger kids, flowrider and zipline for the older ones. There also seems to be a lot of events centred around the Dreamworks characters.

Of course I've never been on anything but RC, so can't comment further on what NCL has to offer as far as kids programs go.

Although we're primarily Princess/Celebrity/RCC cruisers, we've been on the Norwegian Epic twice. The experience was different in quite a few ways from what we're accustomed to, but we had a wonderful time.

Every line seems to have wonderful things--and also things they don't handle quite so well. The trick, it seems to me, is to figure out what the line one is currently on does well and enjoy those things to the hilt--without fretting about what might be missing as compared with what some other line offers.

We liked the entertainment on the Epic especially well. Not so impressed with the food in the main dining rooms.

Whatever ship and whatever line you choose, have a wonderful time!

We took our grand daughters aged 8 and 10 on NCL for their first cruise. The following year we took them on a mid-size Royal ship, don't remember which one, and with no prompting from us, both girls said they liked Royal better! From what I have seen of the kids programs, Royal will be as fun as any cruise except maybe Disney for the kids and the parents will like it better, too. Just my 2 pennies.

Thank you all for your input and for sharing experiences of your own granchildren...I really appreciate it. I will take your suggestion and also ask on the family board and Norwegian board. We have always been easy mannered cruisers always focusing on the positives on a cruise, and firmly believe there is no such thing as a bad time or bad treatment on any cruise. I know we would enjoy any cruiseline we go on because we are with family :)

We are very loyal to Royal (Diamond Plus) and can't say enough good things about our cruises with them. We want to take our 4 adult kids and 4 grandkids (ages 8, 6, 3, 2) on a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean next year and our first inclination was to book the Oasis when she comes to Port Canaveral (we live locally). However; I cannot believe we're considering this, we have thought about Norwegian Epic (also coming to Port Canaveral) because it seems that ship has the slides, bowling, and many other things the kids & grandkids would love to do. We are torn...any suggestions from those of you who have sailed the Epic?

Go with Oasis! We chose it for a cruise last February with our two sons and their families. The grandkids LOVED it! There is so much to do on the Oasis! You will NOT regret it! And you would love the Central Park for a quiet get together at end of day just before turning in for the night. Peaceful, beautiful place to unwind after all the exciting fun things you did earlier in the day! Twinkle lights in the trees and (fake) cricket sounds, and (some evenings) string quartet. Lovely! I would love to go on her again! too much to do in just 1 week.

But one word to the wise--AVOID the show CATS with grandkids! Too long and just AWFUL!!!

Edited by grandmarnnurse

With the ages of the kids, why not consider the DCL Fantasy? Great ship for kids those ages.