Should I try out the Anthem?

My cruise plans for next year might be changing, and I'd like some opinions...

I was on the Oasis in May. Loved it. Was planning on doing the Allure in Feb with some family, and then (maybe) Harmony in November. Now, I'm not so sure our extended family would be able to go on the Allure, so I was thinking of changing to an 8 night Anthem. Yeah, the itinerary is terrible, but it's a new ship, so would you take it over another Oasis class sailing? If we choose the Anthem, we would then either do Allure or Harmony in November. I'm not asking for you all to decide for me, but I just want to hear some of your opinions, in hopes of helping me decide.

:)

We had an 8 day anthem cruise booked for this Christmas which I ended up cancelling. Couldn't bring myself to pay the premium prices to sail from. Bayonne in the winter losing about half the furies to cold weather and then have the port stops include Port Canaveral, Nassau and CocoCay. Had it been a 12 day with a better itinerary I probably would have kept it. I subsequently booked the same week on Oasis for considerably less money.

We had an 8 day anthem cruise booked for this Christmas which I ended up cancelling. Couldn't bring myself to pay the premium prices to sail from. Bayonne in the winter losing about half the furies to cold weather and then have the port stops include Port Canaveral, Nassau and CocoCay. Had it been a 12 day with a better itinerary I probably would have kept it. I subsequently booked the same week on Oasis for considerably less money.

I should've added in my first post that we're about an hours drive away from Bayonne, compared to a 2 and a half hour flight to Fort Lauderdale.

I should've added in my first post that we're about an hours drive away from Bayonne, compared to a 2 and a half hour flight to Fort Lauderdale.

We are just under an 8 hour drive to. Bayonne and a 25 hour drive to FLL and I still chose FLL. When I go on vacation in the winter I want all 7 days to be sunny and warm.

I can definitely see your point about the drive vs the flights as that could be a significant cost savings.

We debated our decision for months and for us it was the right one. Perhaps if in the future Royal decides to put a Quantum class ship in Florida we will sail on one but until then we will be sailing other classes of ships.

Our work schedule won't allow for us to do anything longer than a 7 day cruise so those 12 day cruises with better ports will have to wait.

We are just under an 8 hour drive to. Bayonne and a 25 hour drive to FLL and I still chose FLL. When I go on vacation in the winter I want all 7 days to be sunny and warm.

I can definitely see your point about the drive vs the flights as that could be a significant cost savings.

We debated our decision for months and for us it was the right one. Perhaps if in the future Royal decides to put a Quantum class ship in Florida we will sail on one but until then we will be sailing other classes of ships.

Our work schedule won't allow for us to do anything longer than a 7 day cruise so those 12 day cruises with better ports will have to wait.

Thanks for your input.

I'm not as worried about the weather, kind of worried more about the ships. I'm sort of afraid Anthem won't even be able to compare to Oasis Class. I could just stick with 2 Oasis class cruise next year, but would I get bored of the same ships for 3 cruises in a row? Or just try out a different ship... Decisions, decisions...

Another concern of mine is that Anthem will make me feel like I'm not even on a Royal ship. I love the familiarity, but I also love all the innovations. Anyone been on both Oasis and Quantum Classes?

I have no particular interest in the ship(s) or Dynamic Dining. If more of the posts about the Quantum and Anthem ships were on the main Royal Caribbean board...I might read more about them and be interested.

But at this point, sailing from the Northeast instead of Florida, probably not. :)

Why not try?

We're booked on Anthem October 2016 for a 9nt Bermuda/Caribbean, decent itinerary and a decent price when booked, now the price is shooting up but may be worth watching, still a long way to go. Have to say I've little interest in Oasis class but Anthem looked interesting.

Edited by pspercy

Hi,

we sailed on the Anthem in May, it is a wonderful ship with many new innovations that other RCI ships don't have.

If you don't like the itinerary it doesn't matter as there is no need to get off the ship.

We were worried about Dynamic dining but all the talk is just a storm in a tea cup, all it does is give you more choice.

Pete

Another concern of mine is that Anthem will make me feel like I'm not even on a Royal ship. I love the familiarity, but I also love all the innovations. Anyone been on both Oasis and Quantum Classes?

We have sailed on the Oasis/Allure over a dozen times and the Quantum twice. Both are fantastic ships.

However, if you love familiarity AND innovations then you might enjoy the Anthem. Much is the same but much is different.

The biggest grip I kept hearing on our Quantum B2B was "this doesn't feel like a Royal Caribbean ship." Well, that is what we enjoyed the most. It was a very different design but the human aspect (crew) was familiar.

We are eager to cruise on the Harmony because it will incorporate the best of the Quantum class with the best of the Oasis class and a few innovations added.

Seriously, if you want to experience innovation designed by a familiar company, book the Anthem. We have 3 cruises booked on her.

We loved Quantum and are booked on Anthem. Great ship and we had great service. I have Anthem booked between our Oasis and Harmony sailings to mix it up. Though sailing in Feb. the ship will have a lot to offer while you are still in colder weather. The indoor pools were great. We also live an hour from Port Liberty and love not having to fly for some cruises. The ports it calls on are not always new for us, but neither are the Oasis class ports.

Is it really that hard to click on one additional link to bring up that forum?

Not at all! :D But it is out of sight/out of mind. As I spend most of my time on the main Royal Caribbean board, I don't think to look at it.

The rest of the fleet is on the main board. Why not Anthem? :)