passport needed for caribbean ports

koss78b2

Good catch and that will make a difference as a passport is required for Canadian citizens for entry into the US and at original departure port for boarding.

I believe, however, once on board they are not required at the ports of call for US closed loop itineraries. But perhaps a Canadian with direct experience can confirm this.

I traveled on my Canadian passport for years while I was a permanent resident. I never had to take my passport ashore. Though I always had to show up on debarkation day at some US ports for immigration check.

They key here is that the OP is asking if they need to take their passport ashore, not if they need it to cruise. Which as a Canadian they would. The don't need to take it ashore, though having it would make it easier if they missed the ship. Though having something unfortunate happen ashore where their passport is lost or stolen might be a higher risk than missing the ship.

You should always have your passport. If you get left by the ship, or you get injured, or something requires you to stay on the island, it is very important that you have it, especially in areas in Roatan and Amber Cove where there won't be an embassy within walking or cab distance. Also, if you're like me, you like to collect passport stamps.

You can never be too safe in another country. ;)

This is what the State Department recomends if you have to replace a lost or stolen passport while abroad.

I would expect that having what I put in bold would expedite the process. If you don't they have to do additional legwork to process your replacement.

You will also need some funding to pay for the replacement passport. They ain't free even at an embassy overseas.

• 2 months later...
If you don't want to take your passport with you off the ship, I guess you could take a pic of the photo page with your smartphone rather than a paper copy?

This is what I was planning to do....take a picture of both my & DH passports on each of our smartphones & leave the real one in our safe.

Hi there I am a Canadian and well seasoned traveller and cruised a few times as well.

For Canadians. Only time you need to show passport. is first and last day of cruise to US Immigration. that is all. and just need it on first day to show that you are able to go to those countries of port of call.

on the Ports of Call, you do not need passport for boarding the ports. However you do need photo ID, govt issued. more less your driver's licence to get into the ports at your stops and cruise card is all you need.

As for passport. I really suggest leaving it on the ship in your safe in Cabin, one less thing to worry about and canadian passport is quite valuable things to get stolen. So leave it in your cabin's safe.

and no worries, if you miss your ship as mentioned your contents in your safe are bagged and left at the port, so you would get it.

What do you think a color copy of your passport will do for you when in port? It means nothing and won't even help getting a replacement.

Do you remember your passport number, expiration date, place of issue, etc? That information will expedite a consular office's efforts to get you a replacement.

We have never needed to show anything other than our cruise card in those ports

I carry a copy of my passports & have my DL in case asked for I.D.

The cruise line usually holds our passports until the last day in my experience ( we are usually treated differently than U.S. citizens)

The trick is never be late back & carry the port agent's information with you in case of an emergency & you will not make the ship