White Pass Railroad tour - Skagway

sleepless

We are planning an excursion on the White Pass Rail Road while stopping in Skagway while on the Celebrity Solstice.

I have a question about the railroad train cars. Do they have bathrooms on the train cars, and is there one in each car? The tour we are considering is a little over 3 hours, and a bathroom break might be necessary.

Also, is there snack or beverage service on the train? Not as important, just curious.

Thanks.

Bring all your own food, only water is available.

There must be some reason why they don't have a snack bar but I've always thought they would make a mint if they had a small snack bar in one of the rail cars. Doesn't have to be anything fancy -- just pre-packaged snack items. And we've always had a staff person come through the train near the end of the trip with souvenir baseball style hats for sale, but if they had a small, limited snack bar they could easily have a few other of their souvenir products for sale. Oh well.

There must be some reason why they don't have a snack bar but I've always thought they would make a mint if they had a small snack bar in one of the rail cars. Doesn't have to be anything fancy -- just pre-packaged snack items. And we've always had a staff person come through the train near the end of the trip with souvenir baseball style hats for sale, but if they had a small, limited snack bar they could easily have a few other of their souvenir products for sale. Oh well.

But you can't move from car to car to get there.

I seem to recall that when I first went on the train back in 2001, they had candy bars for sale with the souvenirs. Not like Snickers, but chocolate bars with some sort of "Alaska" labels. Guess they didn't sell well enough to continue.

One bathroom in each car, no food for sale , however they have complimentary water bottles available. Once you reach the top they make an announcement to swap seats with the person across from you so everyone can get a different view on the way down. I would suggest sitting on the LEFT side going up the mountain for the best views. Passengers are allowed to go out to the small area outside the train car to take photos. The conductor makes an announcement reminding people not to "be a hog" and to be considerate that other people will want a chance to snap some pictures also. Only a few can fit out there at a time. Fortunately our fellow passengers were very thoughtful and came in and out so everyone was able to have a turn out there to take photos

But you can't move from car to car to get there.

I seem to recall that when I first went on the train back in 2001, they had candy bars for sale with the souvenirs. Not like Snickers, but chocolate bars with some sort of "Alaska" labels. Guess they didn't sell well enough to continue.

We've done the White Pass and Yukon Railway several times, and each time an employee has walked the length of the train selling souvenir baseball style hats, and also each time the narrator has also walked the length of the train introducing themselves, answering specific questions, and making themselves available for tips. So they could develop some sort of snack item for sale which could be sold in the same manner used by some snack vendors at sporting events -- one of those trays in the front of the body hung from a shoulder sling, and having an employee walk the length of the train.

Those who read my posts most likely realize that I have some connection to Alaska's history and museums. Several years ago I read an article about conservation problems faced by railroad museums. Despite being a product used out doors (or because of being a product used outdoors) the life of a rail car was surprisingly short. I actually suspect that the White Pass doesn't sell snacks on board because they are concerned about damage to the rail cars themselves. They don't want to be cleaning spilled apple juice or soda from those floors and so forth. But I still wish they could be creative enough to sell some sort of snack which wouldn't cause damage or cleaning issues.

We've done the White Pass and Yukon Railway several times, and each time an employee has walked the length of the train selling souvenir baseball style hats, and also each time the narrator has also walked the length of the train introducing themselves, answering specific questions, and making themselves available for tips. So they could develop some sort of snack item for sale which could be sold in the same manner used by some snack vendors at sporting events -- one of those trays in the front of the body hung from a shoulder sling, and having an employee walk the length of the train.

Those who read my posts most likely realize that I have some connection to Alaska's history and museums. Several years ago I read an article about conservation problems faced by railroad museums. Despite being a product used out doors (or because of being a product used outdoors) the life of a rail car was surprisingly short. I actually suspect that the White Pass doesn't sell snacks on board because they are concerned about damage to the rail cars themselves. They don't want to be cleaning spilled apple juice or soda from those floors and so forth. But I still wish they could be creative enough to sell some sort of snack which wouldn't cause damage or cleaning issues.

It's only a few hours. Even cruise ship passengers shouldn't starve to death in that time. For anyone with more serious blood sugar issues, they should probably be carrying prepackaged snacks all the time anyway, and not depend on junk food from a snack bar.

I'm envisioning people eating hot dogs and nachos on that historic train, and it just doesn't seem appropriate. :eek:

• 4 months later...
Took the tour a couple weeks ago. There are bathrooms in each car. Water is provided in each car but there were no snacks available.

There are also bathrooms when you get off the train in Fraser.

We took the train up and bus back.

Did you like taking the train up and the bus back?

Another option I have been looking at is taking the train both ways.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

D

Thoughts...

• I've read that train up is a slower ride as it ascends the hills.
  • I prefer bus up and train down. The afternoon train allows the sun to burn off the fog and low clouds on my trips.
  • Train both ways saves the hassle for a passport, but I think you miss out on the beauty around Fraser.
  • Consider a bus combo to see both sides of the canyon. There are several bus combo options.

[YOUTUBE]0xHCn0IkjUE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

We took the steam train excursion to Fraser Meadows; when we got there, they stopped the train to take on water and while we waited the car's host came through with champagne and sparkling cider as well as a snack (I want to say cheese and crackers). Not a lot, but it was a nice touch. We had to book this one through the cruise line (CCL and NCL both had cars on the train) but DH really wanted the steam excursion so we went with the ship's tour.

So if I understand what you are saying food is not sold aboard the train but you can bring your own on and consume it on the train? Is that correct? Are there any signs posted that say no food allowed?

You can bring food with you. No there are not any "signs" preventing you from doing so.

The reason is simple, the cars aren't set up, liability wise, to allow passengers to go car to car. IF they sold "snacks", they'd have to have a set up in each car, or deal with a rolling cart that is another issue transporting that between cars. Add to the mix, making change, extra staff etc.

Did you like taking the train up and the bus back?

Another option I have been looking at is taking the train both ways.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

D

I recommend bus up in the morning because it will be foggy and harder to see and appreciate the grand views. We did that, and then kayaked around the lake in Fraser for a couple hours before taking the train back down. I loved that itinerary and would highly recommend it.

If you want to see photos or details about our day in Skagway, check out my travel blog here http://72hourstogo.blogspot.com/2015/08/day-14-skagway-alaska.html