Off the Dawn on 9/4!

Epic_Bear

Just got off the lovely Dawn yesterday. Any questions?

1. I don't have Freestyle Dallies.

2. I have no idea who the officers are.

3. We had a balcony, so I also don't know who the butler and concierge are.

In short, a great cruise, fab weather, very relaxing, solid service, and long days at the beach and enjoying the UBP!

We will be the Dawn in 13 days for the Quebec to Boston cruise. Quite a few people have reported "toilet troubles" on the Dawn. Did y'all notice any issues? What deck were you on? We are on the 11th deck so I'm hoping all the problems are below us! Glad you had a great cruise.

We were deck 9, with no toilet troubles in our room or in a public one. There were signs up in all the public ones to just flush toilet paper and not other things.

We were on 11 last week, no toilet problems. We also used many various public rest rooms and I only recall seeing one toilet with an out of order sign and no signs of overflowing anywhere.

In short, a great cruise, fab weather, very relaxing, solid service, and long days at the beach and enjoying the UBP!

Great review. Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise.

Tracy

Don't be discouraged if this review doesn't win any Cruise Critic awards.

did you go to beaches near the ship or venture to others?

Snorkel Bay is walking distance. Other than being close to the ship, we found nothing nice about this place. I would never recommend it to anyone. I wrote a review over in the Bermuda forum if you want to see more detail.

The $7 van rides to Horseshoe Bay are convenient and my recommendation for going to a beach. We had one van driver (Louis Carter) give us a real nice tour of the local sights on the ride home.

Snorkel Bay is walking distance. Other than being close to the ship, we found nothing nice about this place. I would never recommend it to anyone. I wrote a review over in the Bermuda forum if you want to see more detail.

The $7 van rides to Horseshoe Bay are convenient and my recommendation for going to a beach. We had one van driver (Louis Carter) give us a real nice tour of the local sights on the ride home.

Where did you catch the van ride going to Horseshoe Bay?

Are they frequent?

Cheers & thanks,

Sandy

Where did you catch the van ride going to Horseshoe Bay?

Are they frequent?

Cheers & thanks,

Sandy

To go to horseshoe bay, we took a taxi just off the ship. There is an open awning on the right when you get off the ship. There is a Bermuda official that signals the taxi and it costs 8$ per person.

However, on the first day the taxis were all aligned. We were the first persons off the ship and we were charged 10$ per person.

On the way back, it is very easy there is both taxis $8 and shuttles waiting $7.

We were 4 adults travelling together. I would not take public buses .Not worth the trouble to save a few dollars.

At the beach, we walk all the way to the end (turning left when facing the ocean) there are rocks formation it is less crowded. it is absolutely beautiful.

To go to horseshoe bay, we took a taxi just off the ship. There is an open awning on the right when you get off the ship. There is a Bermuda official that signals the taxi and it costs 8$ per person.

My experience was the taxis charge ~$32 one way. For 4 people it's $8 pp. However, if you are less than 4, then they are going to still charge you ~$32. If you are a party of 4, then as I understand it, you are just as well off to take a taxi instead of the vans.

The taxis and vans are pretty easy to find. The pier is "T" shaped (kinda), we were berthed on the right upper part of the T. As we started walking "down" the T, the vans were parked right there. I don't think it's possible to walk off the pier without walking by the vans. If you get there and aren't sure, just ask any driver for the $7 vans to Horseshoe Bay and they will point you in the right direction.

My experience was the taxis charge ~$32 one way. For 4 people it's $8 pp. However, if you are less than 4, then they are going to still charge you ~$32. If you are a party of 4, then as I understand it, you are just as well off to take a taxi instead of the vans.

The taxis and vans are pretty easy to find. The pier is "T" shaped (kinda), we were berthed on the right upper part of the T. As we started walking "down" the T, the vans were parked right there. I don't think it's possible to walk off the pier without walking by the vans. If you get there and aren't sure, just ask any driver for the $7 vans to Horseshoe Bay and they will point you in the right direction.

We will only be 2 going to the Beach so we will opt for the $7 van. $32 US dollars would cost us $43 Cdn:( If I'm going to spend that much for transport it would be for the return trip:D

Thanks for the info...

Sandy

Edited by Samstress

We are going to be on deck 9 this Friday headed to Quebec City. Thanks for posting no toilet issues which is waaayyy more important than who the officers are! I have never understood that question. We have a balcony also so sounds like we are going to be just fine!

How was your food? (Also more important than who the officers are!)

We are going to be on deck 9 this Friday headed to Quebec City. Thanks for posting no toilet issues which is waaayyy more important than who the officers are! I have never understood that question. We have a balcony also so sounds like we are going to be just fine!

How was your food? (Also more important than who the officers are!)

The food was solid. We ate at Le Bistro, La Cucina, the buffet, Blue Lagoon and the Chinese place. My fish was dry at the Chinese place, the lines were long at the MDR, so we skipped those. Le Bistro and La Cucina were great, we used our platinum meals there, and then had wings at the Blue Lagoon. My mom always loves the hamburgers at the buffet.

The food was solid. We ate at Le Bistro, La Cucina, the buffet, Blue Lagoon and the Chinese place. My fish was dry at the Chinese place, the lines were long at the MDR, so we skipped those. Le Bistro and La Cucina were great, we used our platinum meals there, and then had wings at the Blue Lagoon. My mom always loves the hamburgers at the buffet.

When you get on the ship, you can make reservation for the complimentary dining room. Chose the Venitian, it is nicer than the aqua but the menu is the same. I am French and used to good meals prepare from scratch. I was surprised but the food in the main dining room was very good. The vegetable cook perfectly and the meat and fish very good. We had filet mignon that melted in your mouth and cook like I asked medium rare. However, the desserts and pasta were so so. I would spend my extra money somewhere else.

We did not used the garden cafe for breakfast and lunch so I cannot really comment. We were in a suite and ate those meals at Cagneys which was complimentary for us.

I did not look at your itinerary, but you will love Quebec City.

Look at Tom Sheridan port guides on line. They are very good

I didn't see one toilet issue in any of the public spaces

Really? I was on the same sailing and the entire ladies restroom on the pool deck was "closed for maintenance" the entire week. The ladies bathroom near the buffet was atrocious every time I used it, which was often, as the one on the pool deck was shut down.

Really? I was on the same sailing and the entire ladies restroom on the pool deck was "closed for maintenance" the entire week. The ladies bathroom near the buffet was atrocious every time I used it, which was often, as the one on the pool deck was shut down.

There was a broken stall in the Pool deck ladies room last June. It wasn't fixed yet?

There was a broken stall in the Pool deck ladies room last June. It wasn't fixed yet?

All of them must have been broken because the entire pool deck ladies room was closed/locked the entire cruise with a big "Closed for Maintenance" sign on the door.