Questions about travel protection and flight packages

ssjhook

Hey guys,

I'm looking to book a cruise and it will probably be through NCL

I am trying to make heads and tails of their protections and flight packages.

From what it appears there is no benefit of booking a flight through them other than they handle of all of the arrangements for you and you can put the pricing into the cost of the cruise.

It does not appear that they have any type of flight guarantee or reimbursement other than their travel protection which I'm guessing is not different than getting it directly from the airlines.

If this is the case I'm wondering if its a bad idea to book my own flight to Venice set to arrive the day before the cruise, that way the $300 i save per person could be used for a hotel and I can take my mom around Venice for the day, or is this a bad idea?

Second question is should I consider travel insurance if cancelling my trip is not a probability? I read something online that cancelling your trip or heavy medical expenses on the cruise are the top reasons to buy insurance, it seems that my insurance is nearly nearly 10% of my overall costs which seems rather pricey and the additional medical coverage they provide doesn't seem like it would cover any extremely serious medical bills.

Some people won't look at flights by the cruise lines. I am one who doesn't rule something out but most of our flights are booked on our own. The benefit of booking the cruise one sometimes is price but often is not and that they provide transfers. The drawback can also be price and also if you don't custom your flight you can end up with airlines and flights that you don't care for including connection time.

I would definitely arrive at least one day before the cruise so you can get over the jet lag (I see you are coming from California and also so if flight is delayed or cancelled you don't miss the ship. Look for flights with a good deal of time for the connection if you have to change planes to allow for delays and so your odds of your luggage arriving are increased.

For insurance, take a look at purchasing insurance on your own. A great source is inuremytrip.com

I find that I can book insurance on my own that is not only more comprehensive than that offered by the cruise line but also at a lower price.

Keith

I really can not answer a lot on the flights, we usually sail out of Ft Lauderdale which is only 30 miles from us, but I would look into the thing if flying the same day and the flight is changed on you. I have seen on here someone booked their on and almost missed the ship because they had made their own arrangements. As far as the insurance, We have never gotten it on any of our trips before until this one. The only reasons I did for this one our, 1). We are getting older and our health isn't what it used to be.....lol.. 2). I booked the cruise a year in advance and didn't want to chance it this time. But all of this is just mho.

If you can save the money by booking on your own that is great. NCL usually has a good deal if you only need a one way flight, since you are booking round trip you will probably be better off.

Yes fly in at least a day early! (3 days would be even better so you can really explore Venice) First that will get you to the port city in plenty of time, even if your flight is delayed. Second you will have that little bit more time to get over your jet lag. Its no fun going on such a port intensive cruise and feeling like a zombie for the first 2 days not really taking everything in.

I wouldn't buy insurance from NCL .... go through a third party. You can compare and purchase insurance from a great website InsureMyTrip.com you can find something that will give you peace of mind if luggage is lost, cruise is cancelled, medical insurance, cancel for any reason, and flight delays. Its not necessary but....you never know what might happen.

Have a wonderful cruise, what a great one to start out with!

Hey guys,

I'm looking to book a cruise and it will probably be through NCL

I am trying to make heads and tails of their protections and flight packages.

From what it appears there is no benefit of booking a flight through them other than they handle of all of the arrangements for you and you can put the pricing into the cost of the cruise.

It does not appear that they have any type of flight guarantee or reimbursement other than their travel protection which I'm guessing is not different than getting it directly from the airlines.

If this is the case I'm wondering if its a bad idea to book my own flight to Venice set to arrive the day before the cruise, that way the $300 i save per person could be used for a hotel and I can take my mom around Venice for the day, or is this a bad idea?

Second question is should I consider travel insurance if cancelling my trip is not a probability? I read something online that cancelling your trip or heavy medical expenses on the cruise are the top reasons to buy insurance, it seems that my insurance is nearly nearly 10% of my overall costs which seems rather pricey and the additional medical coverage they provide doesn't seem like it would cover any extremely serious medical bills.

Let me save you a load of research: get a United Airlines Explorer VISA (or similar travel oriented card) and a Travelex Select Travel comprehensive insurance policy.

We always book our own flights and arrive a day early unless the flight is less than 90 minutes. Always buy insurance as you never know when you may have a gall bladder attack on a 20 square mile island in Alaska and the bill is well into 5 digits. Been there and paid just under $400 total after the insurance deductible. Got half the cruise fare back and AMEX got us out of there when she was released which the insurance also paid for in First Class to meet our original flight home.