Brooklyn Disembarkation Question - QM2

Crystal Rich

Can someone help me understand the disembarkation process at the pier in Brooklyn after a crossing. I plan to be among the first off the ship either in the first group or as an independent passenger. I do not expect any problem with either customs or immigration as I am an American citizen. What time should I order a limo to collect me at the arrivals terminal to take me to LaGuardia? I would like the driver to meet me holding a sign with my name on it to expedite the process. Which limo company has dependable drivers so I can easily make my 11:20 AM flight?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Can someone help me understand the disembarkation process at the pier in Brooklyn after a crossing. I plan to be among the first off the ship either in the first group or as an independent passenger. I do not expect any problem with either customs or immigration as I am an American citizen. What time should I order a limo to collect me at the arrivals terminal to take me to LaGuardia? I would like the driver to meet me holding a sign with my name on it to expedite the process. Which limo company has dependable drivers so I can easily make my 11:20 AM flight?

May I suggest

http://www.arecibocc.com/

They are Brooklyn based,

Not sure of a time though, If the ships docks at say 0645 then you could be lucky and off by 0730.

you usually can self disembark if you register and obtain the card from the Pursers desk. You must be able to carry off all your own luggage.

Edited by Pennbank

You can be off the ship about 7:30 or even earlier if you use "self help" or "express" disembarkation. You keep your luggage in your cabin and the next morning leave as soon as the ship clears with US authorities.

In order to do this however you must appear at the Purser's Desk - in person - no later than the evening before and ask for a "self help" disembarkation card. You must be able to take all of your luggage down the gangway in one trip with no help whatsoever. If you have any mobility problems or have more luggage than you can handle by yourself this is not for you. (Thus the reason why somebody has to appear in person to use this disembarkation method.)

If you are in the self help group you should breeze through Immigration and Customs in the terminal. (This is also the best time for taxi availability.) I'd call a limo for 8-8:30 just to add a cushion of time so you don't pay wait charges.

If you are not using self help then my answer is different. Disembarkation starts with the Grills passengers and then is called by deck top to bottom.

Edited by BlueRiband

Unless you are a Grills passenger (given priority early departure), you should plan to self disembark: meaning you carry all your luggage off yourself in one trip, unassisted. The earliest you can reasonably expect to be off the ship is 7:30 to 8:00. You should have your car pick you up at about 8:00.

If you cannot do the self debarkation and are not a Grills passenger, you might want to rethink that 11:20 flight. Regular debarkation could take you until 9:30 or so to get off the ship --- making picking up your luggage and getting through customs in time somewhat problematic.

You can be off the ship about 7:30 or even earlier if you use "self help" or "express" disembarkation. You keep your luggage in your cabin and the next morning leave as soon as the ship clears with US authorities. In order to do this however you must appear at the Purser's Desk - in person - no later than the evening before and ask for a "self help" disembarkation card. You must be able to take all of your luggage down the gangway in one trip with no help whatsoever. If you have any mobility problems or have more luggage than you can handle by yourself this is not for you. ...
I was disembarking after a Cunard cruise a few years back, as I paused to have my card scanned as I left the ship, I became aware of the raised voice of a young lady having an argument at the opposite security desk.

Although I was only there a few seconds I was there long enough to overhear that she'd taken two of her large cases through security (I would pass them in the gangway/bridge to the terminal) but wished to return to collect her remaining bags that she'd "only left in the Lobby for a minute".

I gathered that security were not allowing her to reboard, and furthermore I overheard a senior guy tell her that she would have to wait until they had someone available to collect her bags from where she'd left them. She was not happy (to say the least).

I stress this because people who haven't done self-disembarking previously should know that there are NO trolleys (until you reach the terminal usually) and you really DO have to be able to carry ALL your bags in ONE go, as you correctly point out.

Best wishes, and thank you for reminding me of that incident.

Edited by pepperrn

If you are not using self help then my answer is different. Disembarkation starts with the Grills passengers and then is called by deck top to bottom.

Platinum and Diamond W C passengers get priority disembarkation as well. Same as the Grills.

David.

... If you cannot do the self debarkation and are not a Grills passenger, you might want to rethink that 11:20 flight. Regular debarkation could take you until 9:30 or so to get off the ship --- making picking up your luggage and getting through customs in time somewhat problematic.
Wise words.

In Britannia grades, 0930 is the earliest I would expect passengers to be called to disembark, and it can be 1030, or shortly afterwards, for passengers on a lower deck.

Then find cases, then queues/lines at passport desks (I've even seen these for US citizens at Redhook on occasions).

Edited by pepperrn

Just off the ship on Friday 09/04 in Brooklyn: Britannia Deck 5 - cleared customs & immigration (US citizens) at 10:40 AM.

Does anyone think you would have been able to get a taxi - or meet your arranged car service, get to the airport (JFK, LGA or EWR) check in, check your luggage, and go through security in time to board an 11:20 flight?

Does anyone think you would have been able to get a taxi - or meet your arranged car service, get to the airport (JFK, LGA or EWR) check in, check your luggage, and go through security in time to board an 11:20 flight?

If the OP uses self help disembarkation - and that's the if - he should be fine for an 11:20 domestic flight out of LGA. Otherwise he's screwed.

Edited by BlueRiband

I was disembarking after a Cunard cruise a few years back, as I paused to have my card scanned as I left the ship, I became aware of the raised voice of a young lady having an argument at the opposite security desk.

Although I was only there a few seconds I was there long enough to overhear that she'd taken two of her large cases through security (I would pass them in the gangway/bridge to the terminal) but wished to return to collect her remaining bags that she'd "only left in the Lobby for a minute".

I gathered that security were not allowing her to reboard, and furthermore I overheard a senior guy tell her that she would have to wait until they had someone available to collect her bags from where she'd left them. She was not happy (to say the least).

I stress this because people who haven't done self-disembarking previously should know that there are NO trolleys (until you reach the terminal usually) and you really DO have to be able to carry ALL your bags in ONE go, as you correctly point out.

Best wishes, and thank you for reminding me of that incident.

DH and I have seen similar situations. Other passengers shouldn't be inconvenienced by someone unable to manage suitcases who end up blocking the gangplank. The amount of luggage should be considered realistically when making the decision if this exit strategy is right for you. Only fully independent folks who can easily handle all their belongings should self-disembark. …If this describes you, it is the best way to make your early fight.

Have a wonderful voyage! You will enjoy the QM2 : )

We self disembarked 2 late aged 60s year olds and were waiting for our Limo by 7.30 we had booked it for 8.30 sp called them on the cell phone and they were there about 20mins later.

The co I use and have quite few times not sure of the correct name so I look up on the internet and know it is the right one as the # is lots of 7s if you are willing to pay waiting time that can be arranged.

Edited by electra2008

The co I use and have quite few times not sure of the correct name so I look up on the internet and know it is the right one as the # is lots of 7s if you are willing to pay waiting time that can be arranged.

Dial7 This is the company I use as a default for transportation to/from the airport or pier in NY. As a matter of fact, I just used them last night for a towncar from Manhattan to JFK. We used them to & from Red Hook in 2009. Note - they make discount codes widely available for your first ride, so Google it if interested (could be airport only, though). http://www.dial7.com/ (212) 777-7777

A competitor you may also want to investigate is Carmel (instead of all 7's, they're 6's) https://www.carmellimo.com/ (866) 666-6666

You can pre-book online.

Edited by MarkBearSF

• 2 weeks later...

If there are no problems at the pier and you do self disembarkation(manage all your luggage on your own from ship through terminal) the process usually begins for those passengers at 6:45 to 7 a.m. The ship and officials are really good about getting this group off and on their way quickly. Depending on your walking speed, you can be through immigration and customs by 7:15 or sooner. I've done it. There are taxis waiting and getting one is immediate at that time and on a Sunday morning traffic should be light. I'd do the taxi at the pier rather than try to plan a car service pick up -- unless of course you have more luggage than you can manage. You may have time problems with an 11:20 a.m. flight if you go through the standard disembarkation. The longer you delay getting on the road to the airport the greater the chance for congestion at the port terminal & traffic delays along the route.

Two comments from our arrival at Red Hook this June

- we were basic Britannia folks, deck 4, but I did not feel comfortable with our scheduled departure time from the ship vs our flight time. We had WAY too much luggage to self carry as we'd been in EU for a while. A couple of days out from arrival I went to the EXCURSIONS DESK and they said NO PROBLEM and gave us 'first group' luggage tags. They mentioned that they don't like to advertise that they'll do this as they KNOW then EVERYONE will ask for it......

- referring to the above we had a Lag' flight that I felt was a little close so requested earlier off the ship. Then we came to the land ride. I'd made no advance preps and planned to TAXI it. In the terminal I saw BIG signs for a flat rate car service. Exiting the terminal and looking for 'a ride' I found myself in a covered walkway. One side was taxi ... and there were many, and the other side was 'hire car' ... a line of black SUV types with a 'flat rate fee'. We jumped in one of these and went straight to Lag' for the stated 'flat rate' .... big comfortable SUV, no extra charges ..... 'flat rate'

COMMENT .... as we left the port area we passed a LONG line of other vehicles trying to get in .... limos, taxis, private cars. IMO if you want to get out FAST, just walk to the taxi stand and take a taxi, or a hire car if you want more comfort . . . or the certainty of a flat rate vs the meter.

• 11 months later...

You might want to reschedule your flight as LaGuardia is undergoing vast construction and this recent article from the New York Times contains information that bears heeding.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/nyregion/la-guardia-airport-reconstruction-drop-your-bags.html?_r=0

Diane