Question about Sailing from Baltimore in Feb

RecoveryDude

Hi! I will be sailing from Baltimore to Eastern Caribbean on Feb 20th. We leave day 1 at 5pm ... Will we be far enough "south" for it start to get "warm" on the afternoon of day 2? ....or will we not be "sunbathing" until day 3??????

Anyone who has sailed from Baltimore this time of year please share your experience!!

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We left out of NY on the Splendor days before Christmas. It had snowed 2 days before sailing and was about 40 degrees the day we left. But on the afternoon of the FIRST sea day I was able to walk around in shorts and a tshirt. The sun was shining and it was in the 60s. Even better the next day.

Like you we are taking the Pride in winter, just hoping it will not be a snowy January. Also have cruised out of NY and Baltimore in November. That was not bad at all and definitely warm by the first sea day.

We left out of NY on the Splendor days before Christmas. It had snowed 2 days before sailing and was about 40 degrees the day we left. But on the afternoon of the FIRST sea day I was able to walk around in shorts and a tshirt. The sun was shining and it was in the 60s. Even better the next day.

Like you we are taking the Pride in winter, just hoping it will not be a snowy January. Also have cruised out of NY and Baltimore in November. That was not bad at all and definitely warm by the first sea day.

But OP is not talking about Nov or Dec before Christmas. He is talking about Feb. 20th, and believe me, it is cold in Feb on a cruise out of Baltimore the first 2 days and the last 2 days in Feb.

I do have to agree that Nov and Dec are not as bad.

All things being equal plan for first sea day and last to be on the cold side.

We were on the pride reposition cruise end of March and last sea day started at about 60 and by the evening down to 30 and next morning when docking was 22.

We do not plan to ever cruise out of a cold weather port during hte winter in the future.

We were on the Pride 3 years ago in February. We left in 32 degree weather and awoke the first day to temperatures in the 60's. The 2nd day we were in shorts. The last sea day was chilly, but that was after 80 degree weather in the Bahamas. Very hard to predict what you'll get. We're sailing this February and will just hope for the best.

All things being equal plan for first sea day and last to be on the cold side.

We were on the pride reposition cruise end of March and last sea day started at about 60 and by the evening down to 30 and next morning when docking was 22.

We do not plan to ever cruise out of a cold weather port during hte winter in the future.

dang, you beat me to posting this... :)

and just for added info, that last sea day, the lido buffet area was SRO for the entire day. And we even saw a snow squall in the mid afternoon. And this was the end of March.

if you are in the sun with no wind exposure, a 60 degree day can be warm enough to sun. But if you are in the wind, with the ship doing 20 knots, it WILL be cold.

dang, you beat me to posting this... :)

and just for added info, that last sea day, the lido buffet area was SRO for the entire day. And we even saw a snow squall in the mid afternoon. And this was the end of March.

if you are in the sun with no wind exposure, a 60 degree day can be warm enough to sun. But if you are in the wind, with the ship doing 20 knots, it WILL be cold.

Well you know what they say about the early bird:):)

I cruised out of NYC on Splendor in January 2014. Sailaway was windy and cold but I still enjoyed sailaway out on the deck to enjoy the NYC skyline and sailing under the Verrazano Bridge. Yes it was cold the first 2 days. Our first port was Port Canaveral. It was still cold, only in the low 50's that day and windy. The next 2 ports were Freeport and Nassau. Both these Bahamas ports had beautiful weather in the low 80's. I was able to enjoy swimming at the beach in Nassau.

Hopefully Carnival resumes winter cruising out of NYC. I would certainly book it over having to fly to Florida.:cool:

But OP is not talking about Nov or Dec before Christmas. He is talking about Feb. 20th, and believe me, it is cold in Feb on a cruise out of Baltimore the first 2 days and the last 2 days in Feb.

I do have to agree that Nov and Dec are not as bad.

I agree. I sailed the Pride from Baltimore in March 2014. It snowed as we departed, it snowed the entire evening sailing down the Chesapeake Bay, it was cloudy and cool for the 2 days heading to Florida, it did not get warm until we docked in Port Canaveral.

So it's a good bet that it will be cold in Feb. also.

I cruised out of NYC on Splendor in January 2014. Sailaway was windy and cold but I still enjoyed sailaway out on the deck to enjoy the NYC skyline and sailing under the Verrazano Bridge. Yes it was cold the first 2 days. Our first port was Port Canaveral. It was still cold, only in the low 50's that day and windy. The next 2 ports were Freeport and Nassau. Both these Bahamas ports had beautiful weather in the low 80's. I was able to enjoy swimming at the beach in Nassau.

Hopefully Carnival resumes winter cruising out of NYC. I would certainly book it over having to fly to Florida.:cool:

since they just announced that the Pride will not be sailing from Baltimore in the winter months starting winter 2016 I wouldn't hold out much hope for them to return to NY in the winter.

Bill

so what are they doing about the two Journey cruises from Balt -> TPA and then the reverse, TPA -> Balt in 2017?

Let me correct my earlier post. They will not relocate the Pride until Jan 2, 2017 which will start cruising from Tampa.

The Baltimore cruises on the Pride resume March 12, 2017.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Bill

Let me correct my earlier post. They will not relocate the Pride until Jan 2, 2017 which will start cruising from Tampa.

The Baltimore cruises on the Pride resume March 12, 2017.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Bill

Guess the folks in Baltimore who thought they would be getting the Pride 12 months a year will not be happy.

Unless of course Miracle does come to Tampa in 2017 and than Pride stays in Baltimore year round.

Guess the folks in Baltimore who thought they would be getting the Pride 12 months a year will not be happy.

Unless of course Miracle does come to Tampa in 2017 and than Pride stays in Baltimore year round.

It's only for a little over 2 months.

I keep tripping on my tongue so let me post the exact dates since i can't edit my other post.

The ship's move will kick off Jan. 2, 2017 with a 13-night repositioning cruise from Baltimore to Tampa that boasts stops in Grand Turk; Cartagena, Colombia; Colón, Panama; Limón, Costa Rica; Roatan; Cozumel; and the Dominican Republic.

The ship will return to Baltimore on March 12, 2017 following a 14-night voyage from Tampa that departs on February 26, 2017 featuring calls in Cozumel, Limón, Colón, Aruba, Bonaire and St. Maarten. :o

Bill