Britannia B521 Check-In Times

BigSid1969

Hello Folks

My wife and I have been given an arrival time of 15.30 to check-in for Britannia on Monday 14th September.

On our previous two Oriana cruises we have checked-in around lunch-time and spent the afternoon onboard the ship.

Is this arrival time set-in stone or can you just rock-up around lunch-time to check-in.

We are staying at one of the Hilton's in Newbury the night before, so we will be in Southampton for lunch-time.

Regards

David & Pennie

I think that the time on your ticket is a guide so that everybody doesnt all arrive at the same time

Speaking now from experience, I have always stayed at the premier inn the night before a cruise so when I leave the hotel after 11:30am I just head straight down to Ocean Terminal and have checked in with no problems even if its HOURS before the check in time on the ticket - Nobody has ever stopped me or told me to wait

I think that the time on your ticket is a guide so that everybody doesnt all arrive at the same time

Speaking now from experience, I have always stayed at the premier inn the night before a cruise so when I leave the hotel after 11:30am I just head straight down to Ocean Terminal and have checked in with no problems even if its HOURS before the check in time on the ticket - Nobody has ever stopped me or told me to wait

This has now changed for Britannia. People arriving early will get the numbered ticket for their check in time.

I think they are trying it out it may stop but unlikely this side of her Caribbean cruises. The other ships appear to be as before.

This has now changed for Britannia. People arriving early will get the numbered ticket for their check in time.

I think they are trying it out it may stop but unlikely this side of her Caribbean cruises. The other ships appear to be as before.

The terminal is going to get very short on space if people are kept waiting for their check in time. I think at least if they are allocating times they should allow a first come first served selection of a check in slot when completing online check in. That was they won't be giving an early slot to someone who cannot arrive till later. This is how RCI have done it for our Anthem cruise in two weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The terminal is going to get very short on space if people are kept waiting for their check in time. I think at least if they are allocating times they should allow a first come first served selection of a check in slot when completing online check in. That was they won't be giving an early slot to someone who cannot arrive till later. This is how RCI have done it for our Anthem cruise in two weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well they will find out the pitfalls over these cruises. Of course if the majority turn up at he right time, or say an hour before then not a problem. It would be interesting to have the information about how people actually get to the ship. How many stay over and how many drive on the day or get coaches. I like stats so it fascinate me.

However I am not hearing any reports of crowding in the waiting lounge. A number of reports of long waits in cars to unload.

The Britannia embarkation is now based around having your cabin ready by the time that you board. Clearly they phase the cleaning of the cabins as they cannot all be done simultaneously and the boarding time that you are given is related to that. That is why early arrivers are now being held until closer to their programmed boarding times. In the past and maybe still on other ships it was possible to arrive early and still get registered and many people did/do this to get an extra 1/2 day on board and leading to buffet chaos and hundreds sitting around cuddling their hand luggage until circa 2.30 when cabins were released.

I would suggest that if you are travelling on Britannia you do not arrive more than an hour before your programmed boarding time until and unless they change this current procedure as the ocean terminal is not the best place to spend more than a hour waiting. Unlike an airport it does not really have the facilities to keep you entertained or even decently fed and watered.

Edited by scifimonkey

Yes we have just got home from Britannia today, fabulous ship! They are sticking to the times so that you can go straight to your cabin. We had a 1.30 slot, arrived at the port at 1.10, by the time we got the car dropped off with CPS it was 1.45, when we got to the top of the escalator we were ushered through the priority check in as we were now after our time, straight to a desk, through security and onboard and in our cabin. Worked fine for us. I would recommend arriving about 45mins before the time if you're dropping a car off, if you are just arriving at the terminal, 15mins before would be okay, earlier than that and they give cards out and you'll be made to wait.

Also disembarkation this morning with the allocated times and waiting areas was much more civilised. No rushing or shoving and somewhere for everyone to sit and wait. I think they've got this embarkation/disembarkation sorted out!